Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 7th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen)
-   -   D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen/371700-d17vtecpower-threads-consolidated-how-member-should-not-behave.html)

piano55man 01-11-2018 04:23 PM

Re: Why do D17’s perform so poorly?

forgot to mention i had 265k miles on mine...

sdaidoji 01-11-2018 05:28 PM

Re: My baby gets new shoes!

in my signature

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...questions.html

sdaidoji 01-11-2018 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by piano55man (Post 4737413)
4) cams are easy to pull for tech :_please:

lol!

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737420)

Oh I see. My KYB struts may not be happy about this. Also, do I need a camber kit? I did a 1.5 inch drop on the front and back and there seems to be no significant camber.

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 05:58 AM

camber correction required is usually rear - too much negative camber in rear means low front grip in the corners. Car will push.
therefore, if you really like cornering, recommend reducing rear camber.

if you really like cornering, then add front camber bolts to increase front negative camber.

before all that, recommend finding a RSX rear anti-roll bar and slapping it in (very easy).

RSX-S is even beefier. better

Heck, i removed my front anti-roll bar even.

Today is a good day to go under the car to swap it, right? :D :) (I guess youn already have the snow there :))

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737445)
camber correction required is usually rear - too much negative camber in rear means low front grip in the corners. Car will push.

if you really like cornering, then add front camber bolts to increase front negative camber.

before all that, recommend finding a RSX rear anti-roll bar and slapping it in (very easy).

Today is a good day to go under the car to swap it, right? :D :) (I guess youn already have the snow there :))

Isn't the RSX rear sway bar 19MM instead of the stock 12MM? Couldn't I use an EP3 sway bar too? Would I notice any improvement in handling? Also, why would I take off the front sway bar instead of upgrading it? As for the camber, what reasonably priced front and rear camber kit would you recommend? As I understand it, the front camber kit is just cam bolts for the front struts, but the rear camber kit is a different upper control arm. Am I correct? Thanks for your help.

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 06:27 AM

don't know what bar is in EP3. RSX is 19 or 21 (s-type)
FWD cars problem is understeer (push). even with smaller rear camber, progress rear anti-roll bar (24mm) and higher front camber, no front anti-roll bar, my car still pushes.

I don't know what is around now, i put the ingalls front and skunk2 rear, but there are more suppliers now - shop around :)
just be careful with no-name stuff, you don't want suspension parts to suddenly go on you.

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737447)
don't know what bar is in EP3. RSX is 19 or 21 (s-type)
FWD cars problem is understeer (push). even with smaller rear camber, progress rear anti-roll bar (24mm) and higher front camber, no front anti-roll bar, my car still pushes.

I don't know what is around now, i put the ingalls front and skunk2 rear, but there are more suppliers now - shop around :)
just be careful with no-name stuff, you don't want suspension parts to suddenly go on you.

Thanks. Just curious- If the front sway bar makes handling worse, why does Honda spend the money putting it on? Thanks.

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 07:17 AM

Drivers get anxious when car rolls more.

It's uncomfortable, sure, but faster without the bar in front.

When I softened front shocks all the way down, I thought I was slower at an autoX event, but clock said 1sec faster in 70sec course.

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737449)
Drivers get anxious when car rolls more.

It's uncomfortable, sure, but faster without the bar in front.

When I softened front shocks all the way down, I thought I was slower at an autoX event, but clock said 1sec faster in 70sec course.

Thanks for explaining. What do you think of strut bars?

piano55man 01-12-2018 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737421)
lol!

Let me rephrase myself....
Access to the cams are easily accessible.:hithead:

check the lobes of the cam by setting a dial indicator on the rockers. when the valve is closed zero it in. then turn over the engine.
If the cam lobes are appear to be illegal, then you take the cam out/heads off for a second check.:whipped:

You can pull the heads off...without taking off the lower timing belt cover...
of course you need to have ARP head studs. :eek:

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 09:09 AM

they improve steering feel. you will know what the tires are doing. maybe will improve your confidence due to that effect. no performance improvements, except for knowing what the tires are really doing.

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 09:12 AM

no need to explain yourself :P

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by piano55man (Post 4737456)
Let me rephrase myself....
Access to the cams are easily accessible.:hithead:

check the lobes of the cam by setting a dial indicator on the rockers. when the valve is closed zero it in. then turn over the engine.
If the cam lobes are appear to be illegal, then you take the cam out/heads off for a second check.:whipped:

You can pull the heads off...without taking off the lower timing belt cover...
of course you need to have ARP head studs. :eek:

Is upgrading the cam illegal? I just installed a Crower Stage 1. :giggle:

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737457)
they improve steering feel. you will know what the tires are doing. maybe will improve your confidence due to that effect. no performance improvements, except for knowing what the tires are really doing.

I'm not racing it lol. I just want it to handle well.

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737445)

What is the disadvantage to upgrading the rear sway bar?

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 09:33 AM

what do you mean disadvantage?

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 09:34 AM

he was talking about making a spec class.

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737463)
what do you mean disadvantage?

What would potential negative effects could a bigger rear sway bar cause?

Slumpertcivic 01-12-2018 09:53 AM

Pretty sure only spec class you could actually get started for the 7th gen would be a demolition derby..

piano55man 01-12-2018 09:56 AM

lmao

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 10:12 AM

lol, slumpert!

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 10:15 AM

again, what disadvantages?

maybe the fact you will need new poly bushings :)

only thing comes to mind is if it gets to the 1" level, it could rip the chassis - that why it have reinforced frame for the progress bar - but again, what disadvantages?

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737471)
again, what disadvantages?

maybe the fact you will need new poly bushings :)

only thing comes to mind is if it gets to the 1" level, it could rip the chassis - that why it have reinforced frame for the progress bar - but again, what disadvantages?

Why did Honda not do it do it the factory besides increased cost? Does it increase NVH or something?

sdaidoji 01-12-2018 10:49 AM

why so angry at honda?

most drivers would not like an oversteering car. most can only handle cars that go straight when overcooking a corner. oversteering cars will spin, getting out of control to average drivers. common knowledge about average cars.
a mustang is quite understeering also for the safety of average drivers.

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737475)
why so angry at honda?

most drivers would not like an oversteering car. most can only handle cars that go straight when overcooking a corner. oversteering cars will spin, getting out of control to average drivers. common knowledge about average cars.
a mustang is quite understeering also for the safety of average drivers.

So if I install a bigger rear sway bar, the car would be more likely to oversteer? I thought you said your car still understeers with the larger sway bar? Sorry, I'm confused.

D17VTECPOWER 01-12-2018 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737475)
why so angry at honda?

I'm not angry at Honda, I was just wondering if cost was the only reason that they used such a small sway bar.

Colin42 01-12-2018 12:54 PM

because its designed to be a grocery getter, not a performance car

GusBuz 01-12-2018 01:40 PM

That is what I was gonna say also, the rear sway from an rsx type s. Beefier for better cornering.

As for Honda putting such a small sway bar to begin with, lets just be glad that there IS one on there lol. Also grocery getters don't need to be sport tuned like colin said, honda didn't have a reason to put a bigger one on there. :lol:

dsm482 01-12-2018 09:05 PM

buy what standards poorer... more weight almost same hp and tq an performance..

by reliability , better if not the same.. i just clocked 320000 miles on original engine and tranny.. I got all records of all OEM parts lasted.. Still original tensioner TB, original water pump, original radioator, original tranny, .. besides the tranny loosing reverse, no other parts have given up.. Its all about how you maintane your vehicle.. this car could go another 100,000 k miles the way it is. not bad for a dx model and econo box..