Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 7th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen)
-   -   D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen/371700-d17vtecpower-threads-consolidated-how-member-should-not-behave.html)

D17VTECPOWER 01-02-2018 10:37 AM

Re: Are disc brakes really more effective than drum brakes?

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4736847)
OP: Is your question concerning drum to disc conversion related in any way to your unfamiliarity in drum brakes replacement (referencing another post of yours)?
I ask because I faced that situation earlier this year and up until that point I never replaced drum brakes. To me it seemed complicated compared to disc brakes. However, thanks to responses here, service manual and youtube vids it really isn't difficult. Actually, it went much quicker than I expected other than setting the proper adjustment...seem to take as much time as replacing internal parts.

I think a lot of people look at drum brakes as old technology and it is but, it's still being used on some new base model cars today: https://thebrakereport.com/drum-brak...ng-used-today/ LOL.. that link argues against drum brakes.
I should have known..it seems to come down to cost savings (brake/E-brake in one) for the manufacturer but acceptable on non-high performance cars like most stock civics are: https://www.web2carz.com/autos/every...rakes-obsolete

Nope, the 2 questions are unrelated. So basically there wouldn't be any benefit for street use swapping to disk brakes? Thanks.

Wankenstein 01-02-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4736867)
Nope, the 2 questions are unrelated. So basically there wouldn't be any benefit for street use swapping to disk brakes? Thanks.

Not for stock D17 in your car..if you intend to do a K-swap then maybe so, not sure?

D17VTECPOWER 01-02-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4736869)
Not for stock D17 in your car..if you intend to do a K-swap then maybe so, not sure?

How would the engine effect how it would stop? The extra 100 lbs. wouldn't effect how it stops that much.

DSMHondaguy 01-02-2018 12:34 PM

They're not actually answering your question as asked.

like I said for a single hard stop converting to disks in the rear will make some but not much difference as most of the braking is done by the front wheels/tires/brakes.

if you want the shortest stopping distance possible, you will need larger front rotors and brackets to relocate the calipers, better pads and yes disks in the rear.

what they're trying to say seems to be the obvious that the biggest improvement with stopping distance will be noticed with spending your money on better tires. They're completely ignoring the fact your question was asked reguarding traction not being a limiting factor as your asking about the brake systems themselves which design has the most performance. The answer is disk. The thing is unless your car was built before 1970 it has disks up front and since the rear doesn't do much it doesn't have a big impact in 1 time hard stopping distance being reduced. If it originally had drum brakes on all 4 corners the difference is huge because you changed the front to a superior system and at the same time probably when with a more appropriate sized rotor that has drastically more "braking power" where it counts.

Wankenstein 01-02-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4736875)
How would the engine effect how it would stop? The extra 100 lbs. wouldn't effect how it stops that much.

A car needs to stop at every speed. More power (hp and torque) means more speed and most likely a higher top end available. I don't know where the cut-off point for the need of upgrading stock braking system to a four wheel disc system with larger rotors, calipers, pad surface begins based on top end speed is and I don't plan to research it. As I mentioned I'm not sure if a K-swap would necessitate such an upgrade or any at all?

sdaidoji 01-02-2018 09:24 PM

Re: What would happen if I increase compression to 12.5:1?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4736865)
Are the part numbers for the head and intake manifold the same as a D17A1 too? Thanks.

you can check for yourself :D

https://www.hondapartscheap.com/

https://www.bkhondaparts.com/

https://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto...-manual-engine

sdaidoji 01-02-2018 09:29 PM

K engines are slight heavier, thus, front gets heavier and weight distribution shifts further to front. Even less load on rears to make a difference.
Too much brake bias to rear could cause spin due to rear losing traction in the event of locking the rear tires - bad.

dsm482 01-02-2018 09:34 PM

there is complete car here , 100k miles for parts cng ..

the owner bought at an auction he is sick and tired of trying to find natural gas to fill it up.

maybe i should start a go fund me page :roflmao:... all chip in I do the testing and build.:fullofwin:

i use to work R@D in delphi in emissions testings and valvetrain back in the day.. no joke...

on serious note am curios now to, i think i can make it work 12.5 compression with 93 octane, if i get big enough injectors and uses the same manifold.. plus i would have two cars to combine...

now ezone both are automatics,, that means i got a trannny for my reverse loss on my current? it should fit somehow..

so i only have electronics and else to deal with/..

Does Hondata offer tunning capability of timingg and spark retard as sofware?

not sure if i want to pick up a huge project right now, but an easy one might make me consider it.

DSMHondaguy 01-02-2018 10:05 PM

IMO, 12.5:1 is a little, optimistic on pump gas. E85, okay, pump I think you're getting into "no man's land" where the ratio is too high for pump, but isn't enough of a performance increase you justify the expense of race gas.

can it be done? Probably, the question is to keep it from knocking will you have to use such a rich A/F mix and low ignition timing that there's very little gain in power? I can't recall any factory performance engine designed for pump gas, even those that say explicitly (premium only) with a ratio higher than 11.5:1.

All I'm saying is I would target that ratio or go big since race gas will be a requirement. You can target 11.5:1 using those pistons by either using a thicker head gasket which I think is a crappy way to do it, or calculating how much capacity you need to add to the combustion chamber by removing material from the cylinder heads chamber. Motor Trend has a decent write up on how to measure and calculate everything. Wouldn't need to add but a few cc's of capacity and be safer for pump. I would practice porting the chambers on a junk head first.

ezone 01-02-2018 10:16 PM

The trans in the GX is CVT, not automatic. NO swap.

Head has different #
Intake is very different

sdaidoji 01-02-2018 10:49 PM

what i remember is my dumb brother that put a 14:1 compression engine running ethanol (back in Brazil, the land of Ethanol running cars that spawned the flex engines). Even the coolest spark plugs melted in two days. Running gas is impractical, at the least need to be some kind of alcohol with higher octanes. even so, like said 1.5 more and it melted the coolest plugs we could find at the time.

dsm482 01-02-2018 11:26 PM

Yes petrol will run on a CNG or methonal ..If the timing is adjusted.
But like running LPG or CNG on a petrol engine the full potentual of the fuel will not be reached even if timing is adjusted....still run good though
Higher compression less advance (Faster burn...too much compression and it will self ignite like a deseil does....detonation issues ...excessive compression..cylinder pressure can be relived at lower rpms by a cam with more overlap )
Higher the octane more advance (slower burn more time to hit max cylinder pressure at the critical point of efficiency somewhere between 12 amd 18 degs ATDC)
now if i remember right 12.5 is static compression.. DCR was more important which stands for dynamic compression.. to much freaking math and money and trial an error ..
, long story short am familiar with conversion of gasoline engine to LPG and CNG, but not the other way around..
plus I use to work in emissions lab long time go..
and for my Ezone, i started as a mechanic at a honda dealership before i went to scholl to get brainzz):

I just dont have a time for a big project.. and its freaking freezing guys to work on car..
Shit you were laughing at me upstate NY never gets O degrees, it seems we going to plunge even lower this winter.

ezone 01-02-2018 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by dsm482 (Post 4736920)
Shit you were laughing at me upstate NY never gets O degrees, it seems we going to plunge even lower this winter.

Was it you?

IIRC my comment was to someone saying NY was at -40, I replied if that were true it would be in the news already.....

Much like getting 25 feet (exaggerated?) of lake effect snow in a really narrow area made the news one year

fsckewe 01-03-2018 02:09 AM

Re: Are head studs an upgrade?

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4735208)
Copied from another thread (by fsckewe) discussing the D17 engines:

Dude....you are a rockstar. That thread was 6 years ago. No shit, I am dealing with an employee that will likely get fired this week for plagiarism.

Hope all is well man.

D17VTECPOWER 01-03-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4736902)

Thank you, I had no idea that I could check myself.

ezone 01-03-2018 12:53 PM

Re: Are head studs an upgrade?

Originally Posted by fsckewe (Post 4736929)
Dude....you are a rockstar. That thread was 6 years ago. No shit, I am dealing with an employee that will likely get fired this week for plagiarism.

Hope all is well man.

Good to see you here!
Your car still doing good?
Did someone plagiarize from that thread or something? lol

I'm doing ok....I remember some stuff like it was yesterday and other days I can't even remember yesterday

DSMHondaguy 01-03-2018 03:49 PM

Note his compression ratio and fuel choice.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017...da-k24-engine/

sdaidoji 01-03-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dsm482 (Post 4736920)
But like running LPG or CNG on a petrol engine the full potentual of the fuel will not be reached even if timing is adjusted....still run good though.

oh, yeah, back in me home country, there's lotsa guys using cooking stove LPG to run their cars, because it's cheaper.
and sometimes we see in the news yet another car burnt to a crisp because of gas leaks in their LPG converted cars...

dsm482 01-03-2018 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4736962)
oh, yeah, back in me home country, there's lotsa guys using cooking stove LPG to run their cars, because it's cheaper.
and sometimes we see in the news yet another car burnt to a crisp because of gas leaks in their LPG converted cars...

they make professional LPG conversion kits.. its widespread in europe..
and after you installed you go for State inspection they have to sign off on it.

LPG burns cleaner, longer cheaper, but u loose 20% HP and TQ.. you gain in $$$ spent for fuel...

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dsm482 (Post 4736979)
they make professional LPG conversion kits.. its widespread in europe..
and after you installed you go for State inspection they have to sign off on it.

LPG burns cleaner, longer cheaper, but u loose 20% HP and TQ.. you gain in $$$ spent for fuel...

So you lose 20% of your power and torque and 15% of your MPG for how much money saved? Once you pay at least $1000 for the conversion, it doesn’t sound like such a good idea to me.

DSMHondaguy 01-04-2018 07:39 AM

Isn't this getting off topic?

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 07:41 AM

Why do D17’s perform so poorly?

I don’t understand why the D17A2 performs so poorly compared to older D16’s. Can you help me understand? They have a similar compression ratio, slightly larger displacement, and they don’t have major design differences that I am aware of. Even with a cam, header, intake, intake manifold, and exhaust upgrade, they still perform poorly compared to older D series engines. My best guess is that maybe the stock ECU is holding it back. Any ideas? Thanks.

Colin42 01-04-2018 07:42 AM

The entire thread was a bit of a pipe dream anyways

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DSMHondaguy (Post 4736988)
Isn't this getting off topic?

Not completely, because fuel type effects the maximum compression ratio that you can run.:)

DSMHondaguy 01-04-2018 08:16 AM

No kidding.

Did I miss somewhere where he's considering converting to LPG or CNG?

DSMHondaguy 01-04-2018 08:18 AM

damn double post

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 08:32 AM

What is this part?

I have wondered what these 2 weird random metal chunks are for for a while, but I just now looked it up. The part numbers are 50205-S5A-A83 and 50206-S5A-A01.

Here is a diagram: https://www.hondapartsstores.com/oem...dWItZnJhbWU%3D I am asking about number 2 and 3. It says it’s a damper. There was a similar one on the front of the subframe behind the radiator, number 2, which I removed. I am very curious what these things do. Can someone please tell me what these are? Thanks.

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by DSMHondaguy (Post 4736993)
No kidding.

Did I miss somewhere where he's considering converting to LPG or CNG?

Nope. I am not converting to a different fuel.

Slumpertcivic 01-04-2018 08:48 AM

Re: Why do D17’s perform so poorly?

Please define perform..

the best D16 engine only put out 130hp and that was only on modules that did not require a catalytic converter.
The stock D17A2 is at 127hp fully emissions loaded.

Granted newer cars have a lot more crash protection which adds weight, so that adds to performance issues.

What really is going on is the market for young adults to spend money for performance upgrades is shrinking at a very fast pace. Your right 8n that the potential market should be there for 10 companies to all be fighting for the best aftermarket intake and head design but the reality is the purchasing power is not there to support it.

Seems vast majority of young drivers care about mileage and how good the Bluetooth connection is more than going 1% faster..

NDNV 01-04-2018 08:51 AM

Re: What is this part?

Apparently Google is saying that they are weights strategically installed on the subframe to reduce resonance/vibrations on FWD vehicles.

Learned something new today...