Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 7th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen)
-   -   D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/186-general-7th-gen/371700-d17vtecpower-threads-consolidated-how-member-should-not-behave.html)

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 09:01 AM

Re: What is this part?

Originally Posted by NDNV (Post 4736999)
Apparently Google is saying that they are weights strategically installed on the subframe to reduce resonance/vibrations on FWD vehicles.

Learned something new today...

I updated the post, I was looking at the wrong diagram.:facepalm: Does this information still apply?

Slumpertcivic 01-04-2018 09:06 AM

Honda may claim it’s to reduce vibrations but I bet it contains nanobots programmed to eat away at your head gasket at random times.

Does them no good if every engine lasts 300,000 miles.

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic (Post 4737001)
Honda may claim it’s to reduce vibrations but I bet it contains nanobots programmed to eat away at your head gasket at random times.

Lol. Sometimes I wonder if Honda installs parts just to make other parts harder to get to. They obviously don’t have our best interest in mind. I removed the front one with no ill effects when I changed my radiator, so I’ll probably remove the rear one too eventually.

dsm482 01-04-2018 09:18 AM

Re: What would happen if I increase compression to 12.5:1?

sorry, if i made it off topic, but i thought i made it clear, .
with right cam u could make it run pump gas 93 octane... its just trial error and Dollars, an time.

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dsm482 (Post 4737003)
sorry, if i made it off topic, but i thought i made it clear, .
with right cam u could make it run pump gas 93 octane... its just trial error and Dollars, an time.

Probably better off putting that money towards a K swap. Increasing the compression probably wouldn’t make a huge difference in performance anyway.

piano55man 01-04-2018 09:33 AM

go turbo!

DSMHondaguy 01-04-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by piano55man (Post 4737005)
go turbo!

turbo all the things!!

Seriously though, unless E85 is local for you, go big or go home when going above 11.5:1

ezone 01-04-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4736985)
So you lose 20% of your power and torque and 15% of your MPG for how much money saved?

Do the math on using E85 vs. gasoline in a basic flex fuel car.

(I don't mean in an engine built to take advantage of E85)

it doesn’t sound like such a good idea to me.

dsm482 01-04-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4736985)
So you lose 20% of your power and torque and 15% of your MPG for how much money saved? Once you pay at least $1000 for the conversion, it doesn’t sound like such a good idea to me.

I didnt say do that, i said in europe they do it.. because gasoline is 9 dollars a galoon. so propane LPG is much cheaper there,so what they do install one, and they can run propane for fuel savings , and press a switch puts it back to gasoline , so its a dual system... they convert cars legally because is savings for the wallet.. very common practice..

in your case, or mine, i could technically make that compression run on regular pump gas 93 octane.. 12.5to 1 has been runned before on 93 octane, it depends on the cam..
i stated some reasone above why cam need to be accounted for..
now I dont know the oem profile of a CNG car, or OEM profile on my Non vtec to do a calculation if its feasible. but technically i can regrind the cam if i wanted to.. so yes is doable, its just needs time, money, and few try's.. I have none...
I have a car here complete with 100k millage CNG, if the trannies were the same, and i had more time set aside, for me it would have been worthed, i could have made it run.. I never used hondata, but i its feasible ..

is it worth the money vs power vs time, not sure.. u have kswap, u have turbo .. if it ends up more money, why do it, u go turbo u go kswap..

for me its a beater car, test vehicle, where i test and see how long parts last, plus if i can make a cheaper mod for power i consider it. its also my daily driver.. but i do have a diffrent car also..

Wankenstein 01-04-2018 12:49 PM

Re: Why do D17’s perform so poorly?

Performance based on power-train alone or based on power-train + weight/curb weight? 5th & 6th gens are somewhat lighter comparatively.

All models of 5th, 6th, and 7th with possibly the exception of Si models are economy cars. 6th and more so 5th gens just look faster..LOL.

Civic design seemed to fully embrace the baby boomers and less so younger generations starting with the 7th gen up until the new design in 2017...which seems to be aimed at a younger market as well as the baby boomers that love their Honda's. Can't blame Honda for catering to the boomers because that's where the sure money is. This includes boomer purchases for their sons and daughters in high school and college.

Wankenstein 01-04-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4737002)
Lol. Sometimes I wonder if Honda installs parts just to make other parts harder to get to. They obviously don’t have our best interest in mind. I removed the front one with no ill effects when I changed my radiator, so I’ll probably remove the rear one too eventually.

Ever work on European cars? At some point during a repair you'll be cussing directly at the engineers..:rotfl:

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4737021)
Ever work on European cars? At some point during a repair you'll be cussing directly at the engineers..:rotfl:

I agree about European cars. Although, have a friend with a Volvo XC70 and it isn’t too hard to work on.

sdaidoji 01-04-2018 04:14 PM

Honda changed the civic concept in 2001, that's just it.

removed front double wishbone (this is the most impact item on these cars that was changed)
got bigger
got fatter

basically, changed the car to a cheap econobox. therefore, no need for high output engine. Marketing guys.

sdaidoji 01-04-2018 04:28 PM

^ yup, in Brazil also gas is exorbitantly expensive per liter compared to here. therefore, Propane is much cheaper (since they use for cooking)

ethanol is cheaper also, but worse MPG due to low calorific content (3/4 to 1/2 the MPG)

D17VTECPOWER 01-04-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737029)
Honda changed the civic concept in 2001, that's just it.

removed front double wishbone (this is the most impact item on these cars that was changed)
got bigger
got fatter

basically, changed the car to a cheap econobox. therefore, no need for high output engine. Marketing guys.

Why did they get rid of the DWB front suspension and what was the effect? Did it have problems, or was it too real? I have a feeling it had to do with making the cars cheaper, but it's not like the price of the car dropped!:mad:

xRiCeBoYx 01-04-2018 09:09 PM

:shrug: I never had a comparably modded D-equipped 6thgen keep up with me back in my younger, dumber, speed demon days.

sdaidoji 01-04-2018 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4737037)
Why did they get rid of the DWB front suspension and what was the effect? Did it have problems, or was it too real? I have a feeling it had to do with making the cars cheaper, but it's not like the price of the car dropped!:mad:

many more parts than a strut MacPherson suspension, so more expensive

but i digress.

why are you mad?

Do you know why double wishbone is good? or are you just going with the flow? :D

sdaidoji 01-04-2018 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx (Post 4737041)
:shrug: I never had a comparably modded D-equipped 6thgen keep up with me back in my younger, dumber, speed demon days.

but they lift the rear wheel so easily and turn so beautifully compared to our piggy squeee, squeeeee, squeeeeee understeer...

ezone 01-04-2018 10:39 PM

It says it’s a damper.
Yup. NVH. (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) Rubber mounted weights are typically used to address vibrations in a very specific frequency range.

but I bet it contains nanobots programmed to eat away at your head gasket
I LOL'd

Sometimes I wonder if Honda installs parts just to make other parts harder to get to.
Not Honda so much IMO, some others are far worse.
3 come to mind immediately: Mitsubishi, Ford, and BMW.

For that matter, I sometimes suspect the Germans are still fighting The War.

sdaidoji 01-04-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4737056)
I LOL'd

me too :D

Not Honda so much IMO, some others are far worse.
3 come to mind immediately: Mitsubishi, Ford, and BMW.

still trying to find all the bolts holding the bumper in my 95 miata...

ezone 01-04-2018 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4737058)
still trying to find all the bolts holding the bumper in my 95 miata...

I don't remember ever needing to take one off LOL

Hondas on the other hand, many of those can be peeled off in 5 minutes.

D17VTECPOWER 01-05-2018 07:30 AM

Drum to disc conversion questions

I am considering converting my 2005 Civic to 4 wheel disc brakes with junkyard parts, but I have a few questions:
1. About what is the weight difference between the OEM drum brakes and disc brakes? I would expect that the disc brakes would be a few pounds heavier, maybe 10 lbs for both sides, but I would like someone to confirm this if possible. I don’t expect exact numbers, just an educated guess.

2. If I convert the back brakes to disc brakes, will I notice any difference when stopping? Will the brake pedal feel firmer, softer, require less effort to stop, more effort to stop, less travel, more travel, etc.

3. If I convert the back brakes to disc brakes, I heard that the stock proportioning valve won’t work properly, but I am not sure about that. Could someone please confirm weather swapping to disc brakes would cause the proportioning valve to not work correctly?

Thanks for your help in advance. I am bored, so I want to upgrade something.:)

D17VTECPOWER 01-05-2018 08:00 AM

Yup. NVH. (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) Rubber mounted weights are typically used to address vibrations in a very specific frequency range.

I didn’t know that. Thanks for explaining. So I can take the back one off too? That weight looks like it would be pretty heavy. Thanks.

Wankenstein 01-05-2018 08:02 AM

Re: Drum to disc conversion questions

For 6th gens but applies to 7th gens also: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...k-haha-641639/

Out of curiosity: do you spend any time wrenching on your car or just ask "what if" questions?

D17VTECPOWER 01-05-2018 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4737076)
For 6th gens but applies to 7th gens also: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...k-haha-641639/

Out of curiosity: do you spend any time wrenching on your car or just ask "what if" questions?

Thanks for the link. When it’s not freezing cold outside, I actually spend a lot of time working on my car. I am not just asking questions to waste your time.

Wankenstein 01-05-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4737077)
I actually spend a lot of time working on my car.

Okay...

D17VTECPOWER 01-05-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Megalodong (Post 4737086)

What is it? I can’t see what it is since I’m at work.

Colin42 01-05-2018 11:23 AM

Since you're in the states you may have to look into a 5 lug swap, I doubt Acura ELs are common down there since they were a Canada only model. You might get lucky with finding a 4 lug SiR hatchback in a junkyard. And change the proportioning valve, discs maintain a different minimum pressure when not being used compared to drums. The shoes have to travel farther to contact the drum vs the pads and the rotor.

ezone 01-05-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER (Post 4737075)
I didn’t know that. Thanks for explaining. So I can take the back one off too? That weight looks like it would be pretty heavy. Thanks.

It's your car, you can do what you want to it.
IDK if you will notice anything different or not.

D17VTECPOWER 01-05-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4737096)
It's your car, you can do what you want to it.
IDK if you will notice anything different or not.

I’ll take it off and see what happens as long as it is not super important. I can always put it back in the unlikely event that I notice something undesirable.