Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   this is the funniest thing ive ever done... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/154976-funniest-thing-ive-ever-done.html)

skarteez 05-14-2004 10:33 PM

this is the funniest thing ive ever done...

1 Attachment(s)
bahahahahha i laugh at myself for even putting this in my car. i spent a total of $7 including the filter.

ok now, please no "maan just buy an intake." i just like making my own things instead of buying it already made. yes it works, yes i have no more torque, yes the high end is a bit stronger, yes its louder, no it wont melt, yes im insane, yes its ghetto. thats the point :D

skarteez 05-14-2004 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic2

Mr.Modify 05-14-2004 11:05 PM

WHOA! :_ontome:

dragoon 05-14-2004 11:38 PM

eh, good enough. better than a $200 intake

skarteez 05-15-2004 01:01 AM

was that whoa from you modify a good whoa or a whoa hes dumb

Mr.Modify 05-15-2004 01:17 AM

ummmmm a whoa like good job on doing it yourself......sometimes we gotta work with what we have!

hooter73mc 05-15-2004 01:24 AM

that is awesome, anyone want to buy an intake? LOL I'll sell mine and just do that. Ok not really. what parts did you use, this could be a DIY lol

skarteez 05-15-2004 01:43 AM

oh thanks there modify!!!

home depot is your friend. the materials list from the throttle body to the filter is:

2in rubber elbow with pvc pipe clams
tiny section of 2in ABS plastic tube
20degree ABS plastic bend
small length 2in ABS plastic tube
45degree ABS plastic bend
small section 2in ABS plastic tube
2in to 3in rubber PVC plastic clamp adapter
cheap-ass filter

ill make a DIY probably tommarow!!!

opto_isolator 05-15-2004 09:54 AM

wow - holy heat soak batman!

blouisgod 05-15-2004 11:14 AM

It doesn't look to bad compared to the vacuum hoses people had been using.

Day_Tripper 05-15-2004 11:17 AM

I give you 10 ounces of respect... that's definitly creative

SMX 05-15-2004 11:22 AM

Sewer piping, hmmmmm...

Definitely ghetto. Props

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy 05-15-2004 11:51 AM

is it all plastic??? weight reduction! =P

cryption 05-15-2004 11:56 AM

hey its a neat change

UltimateStock 05-15-2004 12:12 PM

lol. thats sooo friggin' sweet son. hahahahahhaha

realitycheck 05-15-2004 12:14 PM

i think thats pretty awesome that he can make and still mount and have it look just like a regular intake. no need to hate on the man for creating a diy.

nme3 05-15-2004 12:20 PM

thats waaaay better than the vacuum hose that people use *shudders*

NeonImpact 05-15-2004 12:24 PM

very creative :tup:

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy 05-15-2004 01:02 PM

thats HOT...its affordable and itll get rid of those long boring days..not like an expensive intake that doesnt give any power..good work

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy 05-15-2004 01:42 PM

what would happen if someone made an intake with like..a Y section in the tube and put a filter on each?? that would be kool

zachgeyer 05-15-2004 02:00 PM

ghetto but i like it
ill sell you a AEM sicker for it

cryption 05-15-2004 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Pn0ybOiLiKehOy
what would happen if someone made an intake with like..a Y section in the tube and put a filter on each?? that would be kool
:_beer: :rockon:

CapYoda 05-17-2004 06:55 AM

lol looks fine to me really.

dragoon 05-17-2004 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pn0ybOiLiKehOy

i've seen it done before, but i don't think it did much either way, and this was on a turbo car

nivenmk1 05-17-2004 01:23 PM

Q: Why is a $300 intake any better? When it all comes down to it, it's just a filter on a peice of pipe.

A: That's a good question... .... .........

And here we have the proof of concept. :D

+10 for creativity and all that schtuff....

Good job, make it DIY: po'boy intake :D

skarteez 05-18-2004 11:04 PM

ill get right on that DIY.

you know whats cool though....

well this is probably with all SRI but the sound right above 4000RPM at WOT is like a sound between a growl and raspy. sounds like an actual VTEC system its wierd.

thanks for the compliments!!!

it pulls so much harder, i notice this cause it offsets the incredible loss of torque down low :D

hooter73mc 05-19-2004 02:10 PM

would the pbc transfer heat as fast as a metal one? I would think that this would even deliver cooler air...well if it were cai

MadWheel 05-19-2004 09:20 PM

for what hooter72mc said, i was thinking the same thing...

I'm willing to bet this would out perform AEM SRI's if you had a nice filter on there (a K&N one would be perfect). The whole thing is plastic which resists heat, much better than metal.

hooter73mc 05-19-2004 10:19 PM

some company should make a cf intake for our cars...there is a co. that makes them for some of the european cars so why not ours. they are supposed to resist heat pretty good too.

skarteez 05-19-2004 11:40 PM

yeah i noticed that my ractive filter is crap (haha got it for like $13, paid $3 difference after gift certificate). but K&N's are expensive. how cheap haveyou guys got them for?

revving the car in neutral sounds about stock cept a bit louder. but once im in gear and at WOT its raspy/growly as hell. loud too!!!

IronFist 05-20-2004 12:38 PM

Holy heat soak
Why? It's plastic. My K&N FIPK II is plastic and it's cool to the touch after driving for hours. The metal ones get so hot that you can't touch them in just a few minutes.

IronFist 05-20-2004 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by skarteez
bahahahahha i laugh at myself for even putting this in my car. i spent a total of $7 including the filter.

Where'd you get a filter for that cheap?

armieo 05-20-2004 12:44 PM

Forget the piping. Just put the filter on top of the intake hole on your engine, and then create a custom hole in your hood to make room for it. :D

FattyMcJ 05-20-2004 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by armieo
Forget the piping. Just put the filter on top of the intake hole on your engine, and then create a custom hole in your hood to make room for it. :D

ROFLMAO...now THAT sounds like an idea!!! RAM AIR!!! lol :rockon:

skarteez 05-20-2004 07:32 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA good by torque (not that we had any to bein with :D)

oh yeah, i got $10 gift certificate for circuit city at hot import nights. the filter was $13 so i paid a $3 difference.

Master 05-21-2004 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by armieo

Someone did that a long time ago, they just took their hood off and drove like that for a couple miles to see how it did. I don't remember the results.

pbfoot 05-21-2004 03:42 PM

how heavy is this? last time i held an abs pipe it was pretty heavy...is this something different than what im thinking of? this isnt the plumbing type of pipe is it??? lol

im sure that its heat resistant, although id still worry about it melting near the engine. i looked on the ABS site and it said it operates at temperatures between -40 F and + 180 F...i think the motor gets a little hotter than that.

good job tho.

skarteez 05-21-2004 08:00 PM

eh its fine. ive got some thermal wrap on it. it weighs real light. like lighter than the stock airbox w/ filter.

Azizst 05-22-2004 07:24 AM

Cool job Skarteez, congrats. But i gotta question, how did you fit your system to the intake? By silicone? Or just squeezin it??

skarteez 05-22-2004 01:37 PM

the connection between the pipe and the TB is via a rubber clamp. its just clamped on real tight :D

as for everything else, the rubber elbow from the TB goes to 2in abs tube, which is jammed into a 2in abs elbow which then has another 2in tube sticking out of it into a 2-3in adapter then 3 intubing then a 3 in plastic elbow then to a 3-2in rubber adapter then the filter.

ive got a quick question for everyone tho...

would relocating the stock box to like where the resonator is and connecting an opening with tubing do anything?

Azizst 05-22-2004 03:37 PM

Ok :)
Relocating the stok resonator box would be a unnecessary movement i guess. The resonator will slow down the rate of the air taken in, because of its geometrical shape. Why do you have a idea like that? Is the sound too loud?

skarteez 05-22-2004 04:49 PM

nononono i meant the stock airbox. you know the place where the resonator sits above the transmission? i was thinking of relocating the stock airbox (the box over the TB) to that location. the sound of JUST the airbox w/o the resonator was sweet, but it was sucking it real hot air and there was no piping so it like hinders the airflow/airvelocity or something like that.

SOOOOO

i had a thought of moving the AIRBOX to the location right above the transmissioon to where the resonator was. then connect the airinlet to the throttle body with the same kind of tubing (cept with 2in ends to fit theair inlet inthe box) to the TB. so now, we have a closed filter element with a smaller inlet hole (for vacumm pressure er somethin, ask boilermaker) which gives better low-midrange torque AND there is no big ol resonaotr in the way of the airflow. Also the tubing would help in the airvelocity (i think)....

eh?

or is the air inlets too small to begin with? if i did this i would replace the crap paper filter in the stock airbox with somethin from K&N as zendude recommended.

Azizst 05-22-2004 05:48 PM

Hmm interesting idea. But why not? Well you know but i also advice you again, you definately should place a crap paper filter in the box.
And by the way, how do you manage to mount the airbox to the tube coming from TB ? Will the box stay on its side? I couldn't imagine..

skarteez 05-22-2004 08:33 PM

yeah ill be running a filter in the box, just will replace it whenever i can. ill have to probably ghetto-rig some sort of bracket or something out of metal strips...

the pipe wont be the only thing holding the box up. hehe the thing is kinda heavy :D

Azizst 05-23-2004 11:05 AM

So good luck with your work, i'm waiting for the new pics of it :)

skarteez 05-23-2004 02:15 PM

eh it wont work (relocating stock box) wihtout taking out the battery. that thing is just in the way. after i get a kit il lprobably just use a B18 airbox (like boilermaker) or try and find an RSX or Accord or Legend box or somethin....

Azizst 05-23-2004 04:56 PM

Ah bad luck... Don't give up, i see the flash on your eyes :) :) :rofl:

kjgracing 05-24-2004 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by skarteez
oh thanks there modify!!!

home depot is your friend. the materials list from the throttle body to the filter is:

2in rubber elbow with pvc pipe clams
tiny section of 2in ABS plastic tube
20degree ABS plastic bend
small length 2in ABS plastic tube
45degree ABS plastic bend
small section 2in ABS plastic tube
2in to 3in rubber PVC plastic clamp adapter
cheap-ass filter

ill make a DIY probably tommarow!!!

What no duct tape?

skarteez 05-24-2004 06:13 PM

BAHAHA nope no duct tape. it all holds together REAL tight. its hard to take them apart... liokeyou gotta stand on one part and pull up.

skarteez 05-24-2004 06:15 PM

one more question, i know that an enclosed filter element (like our civics and especially the tegs with their cylindrical filter in a box with a medium sized air inlet hole) increases vacumm pressure (?) and tehrefore, increases flow velocity and gives better torque down low and in the mids. you think building a box, lets say out of sheet metal or a trashcan (IVE SEEN IT BEFORE ON A BMW 540i) and seal it around the cone filter and have an inlet hole, would it work? how ghetoo can i get.... :D