Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

AEM CAI vs. Stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM CAI vs. Stock

I'm sorry, I know this has been posted before - but this is for any newbies. I just put my stock airbox and stuff back on, as per SCCA stock class rules, and I notice that I got some bottom end back. If you are thinking about getting an AEM CAI, understand that you will lose some power from 1500-3000, but I feel like I got some decent gains above 3000rpm with the CAI. If you just do everyday driving - don't bother getting a CAI. If you do autoX, and don't mind being in STS, or you do any racing, you will feel a little more power on the top end. Maybe in the future after this thread dies, somebody will search and see this title, read it, and won't ask the question for the 1000th time. By the way, it took me a few hours to install my CAI the first time, and like 45 minutes to get everything back stock.
Old 07-14-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Why would you want to run in Stock? You trophy hound! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Get your rear in STS and run with the big dogs!
Old 07-14-2002
Registered!!

thx1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't really noticed a loss with my CAI. And not a huge gain either, except above 4000rpm. The sound is better, especially if you floor it. Further more, the irritating rumble noise at 3100rpm with a cold engine is also gone. And I also noticed the car is a bit less stressy when running first gear in traffic jams. Somehow, the power is more evened out between 0 and 4000rpm.
Old 07-14-2002
Registered!!

DUFFY is an unknown quantity at this point
It makes trafic easier eh? I deal with the crap all the tyme. and the civic is real jumpy in 1st. will this make life easier for me?
Old 07-14-2002
Registered!!

Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
FamilyMan - I know, I know. I'm going into STS next year. I just thought it would be cool to win HS 2 years in a row. I could have taken STS this year because the only car is some BMW with a baaad driver. Unfortunatly an Audi just joined STS half-way through the season and I think he's going to stick around and make things hard for me next year in STS. Did I hear somewhere that you were doing Solo2?

EDIT: Duh, I just looked at your pic. How's the season going? Let the people on the site know what kind of cars you're taking out at the AutoX so they know what our cars are capable of. I've taken out crappy drivers in Tiburons, old Jettas, Focuses, a '98 BMW M3- VERY bad driver, '02 SER Spec-V, and an old guy in a '72 Porsche 911-T. And that's BEFORE PAX times. I also beat my friend in his RSX-S. The bad thing is that once they learn to drive - you can't beat them any more.
Old 07-14-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I do Solo II. Not very seriously or a lot. Most events are on Sunday, but I try to run in Saturday Series (non points) events when I can. I'm mid pack and the pack has about 23 cars every event. So I'm about 5 seconds slower than the fastest guys and about 5 seconds faster than the slowest guys. Some of the Utah Regions best drivers are in STS so it's really hard to make headway. Much prefer the quarter mile but I like to spray cones too.