General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

but its front wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One_Fit_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
but its front wheel drive

ok i under stand that a spoiler well push down the back end of you car giving that car/truck more traction but why would you need it for a FWD car? but wouldn't you want more down force in the front? please help me out. and please i'm not an idiot so be as in depth as u feel necessary
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: but its front wheel drive

Your an idiot.
Old 05-10-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

most spoilers are for looks only, and even thats up for debate
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

meadcomposition is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Your an idiot.
Actually I think that you're the idiot...
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

cjrager89 will become famous soon enough

makes sense.... never thought about it too much, im not that found of spoilers to start with
Old 05-10-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

its the truth, spoilers are for aesthetics pretty much, but front splitters are functional

at 100+mph
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

One_Fit_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

the only reason im asking is because i see almost all the people (in my hometown) drive FWD cars and when i ask them a bout the spoiler they always tell me to put traction on the back but than i ask them why do you need that on a front wheel drive car (they end up getting butt hurt and call me an idiot) so maybe with all you civic guys out there can tell me, as for me im with gearbox, but than again an F1 would fly off the track if it was missing one of the three spoilers on the car. (and yes there are in fact three the front the back and also under the car)
Old 05-10-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

some of that is true, if he is trying to evenly distribute the weight to a 50:50 ratio instead of a 60:40 ratio like most econobox have. since the front usually has more weight, alot of tuners try and add heavy items in the rear and remove heavy items from the front. usually only luxury cars (and the miata) are evenly weight balanced for better handling at the factory.
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meadcomposition
Actually I think that you're the idiot...
Rofl
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

civicdragon is an unknown quantity at this point

I found the spoiler very useful. I like to take mine up through the mountains and hammer on it in the curves. Once I added the spoiler it made a difference on how the rear felt going through the curves. It felt more stable. The megan racing mr-55 carbon spoiler is the one I put on. It's an adjustable spoiler that doesn't stick up to high.
Old 05-12-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

In order for the spoiler to have ANY effect even at very high speeds it needs to be raised up (like my stock on my my Evo IX) - We are talking 100mph+. Besides that it is just cosmetic.
Old 05-12-2009
Premium Member

spoiler also adds extra weight, they are usually upwards of 40 lbs or more, and that adds stability to the rear. alot of auto-x guys go to events on a full tank of gas because it balances out the rear end more and they find the car handles better. 82 lbs with a full tank vs 20 lbs on a 1/4 tank. again, its for evening out the front/rear weight ratio. since removing my spare tire, i feel like my car does not take corners as well, but id rather have less weight to drag around when accelerating.
Old 05-12-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

idealy a FWD car has very very little weight in the rear, which a functioning spoiler would help.

for example, my car is completely stripped. and i mean completely. i also have a carbon fiber trunk. with that said, i shaved off about 145 (+/- 10lbs) lbs in my rear (i weighted everything after i took it out)
Name:  Picture037.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  100.9 KB

and every time i go canyon running, my car will "over steer" (like as if it was a RWD car) because the rear has soooooo little weight. so if i was serious about tracking my car, i would deffinatly put a gigantic spoiler to create some downforce in my rear...it'd look like this:
Name:  wurth_jan_03_jzr_wing.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  40.0 KB

but its pretty imptactical unless ur going at high speeds, thus it is pretty useless on the streets.

note: it also has to be aerodynamic... like those big aluminium ones u see ricers rock. the ones that look like stock wont do jack crap but add a lot of weight (like gearbox said) to ur rear.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 05-12-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

aero dynamics are engineered during production, so its a difficult process to determine how adding downforce can really affect the cars handling. theoretically adding down force to one end of the car means you should do the same for the opposite end. also i think there are other factors that need to be analyzed before attempting to alter handling characteristics by altering downforce. such as alignment, damper valving, and spring rates
Old 06-08-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by metalviper
aero dynamics are engineered during production, so its a difficult process to determine how adding downforce can really affect the cars handling. theoretically adding down force to one end of the car means you should do the same for the opposite end. also i think there are other factors that need to be analyzed before attempting to alter handling characteristics by altering downforce. such as alignment, damper valving, and spring rates
During design, not production.
Old 06-09-2009
Registered!!

pacotaco is an unknown quantity at this point

if you ever actualy run your car hard you would find out that you back end dosent always stick down when you stick a wing on it you get a little more stick
Old 06-09-2009
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Bolt the tail section of a cesna to the *** of the car. Then you can hook up the rudder to work like rear steer.