General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

replacing front speakers with components. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack123 is an unknown quantity at this point
replacing front speakers with components. Help!

I'm thinking of getting component speakers for the front. How did you guys install the tweeter for a component setup? Did you actually cut up the panel to mount the tweeter? I don't want to cut up/drill holes in my panel incase I want to go back to my factory system. Where did you mount your tweeter? It is ok if the panel cutting is hidden. Should I go with coaxials instead? I'm thinking that the speaker grill is so low in the door and if I install coaxials it might not be that great an improvement. Thats why I am thinking of going with components, so I can set the tweeter higher up. Btw, I'm amping the front speakers.
Old 01-17-2005
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
The EL does not have factory tweeter mounts? is this the 01 - 05 models? or is this an older model?

You might be able to find tweeter mounts, very difficult to find one that fits ur car though. One option is to a hole in your door panel or you mount them with your speaker on the door, however that requires a lot of custom work.
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Or do what I did and mount the tweeter in the little mirror trim piece (the little triangle just above the door panel that covers the mirror mounting bolts on either side. I've done this on several cars now.

You can kind of see them here:

Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

I was thinking of mounting it on the triangle thing between the mirrors like Telly. But did you have to drill any holes through that triangle thing? How did you hide the wires? I really don't want to drill holes through it, in case I want to put my factory set up back in.
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Well dude, it's not hard - you do have to drill a few holes to mount it, and the wires run behind the door panel, so none are visible.
Those triangle things cost like $20 for a pair at Acura - not a big purchase at all, so you can replace very easily. Just go to the parts counter and ask for side mirror trim.
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MrWong
The EL does not have factory tweeter mounts? is this the 01 - 05 models? or is this an older model?

You might be able to find tweeter mounts, very difficult to find one that fits ur car though. One option is to a hole in your door panel or you mount them with your speaker on the door, however that requires a lot of custom work.
The 04+ ELs do have standard stock tweeters mounted in the upper area of the door panel. These tweeters were also a dealer installed option on the 01-03 models. The stock mounting location for the OEM tweeters isn't really reversible though since you have to cut a hole in the door panel, so Telly's idea seems alot cleaner and reversible.

BTW, nice EP3 seats Will.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

cheukkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Telly's car always looks nice and clean, but the thing hanging behind the rear mirror like underwear to me...haha..and the tweeter I also mounted on the same place.
Old 01-19-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

That's cause it IS underwear...it's my gf's thong.
Old 01-19-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TeLLy
I hope they are clean dude or do you use those as an air freshener???
Old 01-19-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

They're clean. In fact they get laundered every once in a while.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

so I got a pair of infinity 6002i and an amp sitting around. I would like to install the speakers and amp in my el (the speakers will be installed in the front, and if I want, i'll buy tweeters later). Where are some good places (with a good price) to get these componenets installed? What other components do I need? I know I need some amp wiring, maybe a spacer for the speakers. I'm not sure what other components an installer will charge me for. Also are there different types of amp wiring? Do I need a special kind?
Old 01-19-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

To do something simple like amp and speakers, why not just DIY?
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

Because I am not sure how all the components will connect together. Also, I don't know how to get all those Trim parts off. Also, I have no idea what parts I need, like wires, harnesses, etc.
Old 01-20-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

shmik1 has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by TeLLy
Old 01-20-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Originally Posted by jack123
Because I am not sure how all the components will connect together. Also, I don't know how to get all those Trim parts off. Also, I have no idea what parts I need, like wires, harnesses, etc.
Tons of DIY's for this on the site. If you're local to GTA I can help you out.
Old 01-20-2005
TeLLy is my daddy

gtracing is an unknown quantity at this point
wow telly, ur car is looking beautiful
Old 01-20-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Thanks gtracing. One day I hope you can come for a cruise with me again. Preferably blunted with hoes in the back.
Old 01-20-2005
TeLLy is my daddy

gtracing is an unknown quantity at this point
^haha definitely man, i'm hoping i'll come over again during the summer....hopefully one time i'll even drive and show u my car...and our cars can mate together...haha, and make baby el's...i'm jealous of ur ride man, everything is soo red...and clean..my car is full of dirt and snow inside...so gross, have to definitely clean it out during the spring time...
Old 01-22-2005
Registered!!

Ok I have infinity 6.5" 6002i sitting here and I also have an Rockford Fosgate 401S amp (not mine, but i'd like to use it).

The speaker specifications are:
60 watts RMS
4 ohms

The amp sepcifications are:
100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
200 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms in bridged mode

I would like to install these infinities in the front and power them using this amp. Is the amp too powerful? Can I still hook these two components up?

Also, if I need replace this amp at a later time, is it simple to hook up a new amp? There is no re-wiring involved right? Do I simply disconnect the wires from this amp and hook up the new amp?
Old 01-22-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

The amp is fine to power those speakers.

It's pretty easy to hook up a new amp, just disconnect the wires from the old amp and wire in a new one.
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

Bires is an unknown quantity at this point
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 6002i 's are coaxial, not component speakers. Are the tweeters detachable?

I just bought these from amazon.com:
Infinity 6002si for $55 instore pickup from Circuit Shity
Old 02-08-2005
Registered!!

Actually, I got infinity 6000cs components that I would like to install.
Old 02-08-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Hey jack, was it you asking me about an install? I forget....damn weed.
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

Yeah..i needed your help to install! Still waiting
Old 02-09-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Next weekend?
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

Anyone know a good brand for a 4 gauge amp wiring kit? One that has enough wire to setup the front component speakers in the el.
Old 02-10-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

For the noobified, you may as well spend a couple of extra bucks to make sure you get a complete kit. You can go to Future Shop, grab a Stinger or Phoenix Gold kit or something....

The more experienced sometimes just go to electronics shops and pick up what they need there....but even I miss items and have to go back sometimes, not a good thing at 5pm on a Sunday....
Old 02-10-2005
Registered!!

Took a look online at the futureshop website. They are selling the Stinger SWKH4R Amplifier Kit (4 gauge) for 179.99. Is it just me or is that way too much money for wires! I thought I would be spending $60 max. Anyone know where I can get a kit for a cheaper price (ie. store in the GTA)?
Old 02-10-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

That's rodickorous, 180 is way too high....
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

I was looking at what is included in the stinger 4 guage amp kit. It has

FEATURES:

18' Of 4 ga. HPM Blue Power Wire
3' Of 4 ga. HPM Clear Ground Wire
1 x Platinum-Plated ANL Fuse Holder With 150 Amp ANL Fuse
17' Of 18 ga. Amplifier Remote Turn-On Wire
1 x Platinum-Plated Super Surface Contact Grounding Terminal
10 x 7" Wire Ties
Protective, Snap-In Wire Grommet

Don't you need wire for the speakers themselves?? If so what gauge? It doesn't look like the kit includes it. Is there anything else I would need to wire the amp to my speakers and headunit?

What about RCA cables?

Last edited by jack123; 02-12-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: replacing front speakers with components. Help!