Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

I got a ticket too!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road
I got a ticket too!

I got a ticket for 23 over the speed limit. This is my first ticket in 4 years and it says on the dmv site I will be issued 5 points. Is there any point in me going to court? I don't really see how I can fight the ticket , but is it possible to lower the points or speed? He wrote the actual speed down, i thought cops are supposed to take Mphs off the ticket, down from the "actual speed". Or is my best bet to just pay the fine and take a defensive driving course? If i take the course 3 points will be taken off. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

Ruamit03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I got a ticket too!

Go to court, and you can talk to the prosecutor and you can do a plea burganing. I know he wrote the mph down and everything but if you go to court they'll lower the charge, trust me i have been down this road many many times...
Old 03-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

youre kinda screwed with that high a speed. only thing you can do is ask for a reduced sensence and also if you want traffic school you gotta tell the judge.
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

a lot of states don't allow defensive driving for speeds in excess of 20mph over the limit. Does yours?
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road

So should I put not guilty on the ticket and mail it in? How much are court fees for traffic tickets? Will i definitely be able to reduce it since my last ticket was 4 years ago? I live in Delaware and it says you can go to defensive driving every 3 years or something to get 3 points taken off.
Old 03-12-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

goto court, you are stupid not to. mailing it in shows you are lazy and dont care, and you will pay the whole thing and get the points.
Old 03-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Try to change your court date so maybe the cop won't show up.
Old 03-13-2008
Registered!!

case1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Try to change your court date so maybe the cop won't show up.
Just an fyi, changing court dates usually doesnt work. Your best bet is to pay the fine and take a state approved defensive driving course to reduce points.
Old 03-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why I said maybe. Might as well try everything before you bend over and grab your ankles for the state of Deleware.