Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

pointed/pulled over

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
pointed/pulled over

Allright so i am on my home after i dropped my friend off, we were visiting a friend in PA, on 83 south. The speed limit is 65 and i am going like 77ish, so i right at the limit of going too fast, and i come over a hill to see a state trooper starring me down. There is a car in front of me so i hope that he will get him, but he does not, he waits till that car passes then he steps out in the left lane, which i am in. He then motions me to pull over, so i do, a suburban pulls over in front of me as well. I roll my windows down, get my registration out and turn off my car, then i look back and the cop is motioning to back up, so i do.
Then when i stop, he starts to walk toward me, and then as he gets to my window i ask him,"whats the problem oficer?"
"I have no problem with you you re free to go"

Old 09-01-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
not to sound like an ***, but your point?

i guess that you got lucky?

other than that, NEVER have your paperwork ready until the officer asks for it. and never ask "whats the problem officer?" again. the officer talks, the driver keeps quiet unless asked an question.
Old 09-01-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
congrats on the catch and release
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
^ I have no point, i was just real excited.
Why not have your info ready, i mean i had mine out before i stoppped my car?
I thought you were supposed to ask them what the problem is, oh well in my situation it was better, cause it woulda have been even weirder if he came back and just looked at me, and went back to his car.
I still love that sound "No problem with you, you re free to go"
I also have 15% tint, so i was really sweatin.
Old 09-02-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
My two fold answer from dealing with pigs:
1) if you have your paperwork ready you are somewhat admiting guilt and just "implying hurry up pig get this over with" They don't like that.

2) If you reaching into your glove box in the back of their thinking he's reaching for a gun.

Just put your hands on the steering wheel so he doesn't freak out. If you reach for the glove box let him know your reaching for the glove to get your paperwork. If you have you have your wallat under your seat(like I do) let him know your reaching for it. Having a pig pull a gun on you ain't no picnic in the park.
Old 09-03-2005
Registered!!

well i did it all beore i was pulled over, i rolled my window down and got my paper work out, and put it in my passenger seat in like a split second, all before i stopped. I then turned off engine and put my hands on steering wheel. One reason i have tint is so that if i have to i hide things etc while pulling over, as long as its not night when they have that damn light on your car.
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

gotarheels03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive had that happen to me twice. Once I was taking a 500+ mile trip back from NC doing 80 in a 65. Cop goes "No No, you're fine, go!" and pulls over a Tan suburban behind me.

and yeah, NEVER go for the glovebox until the cop is there at your window. The key is to make him as comfortable as possible, and that wont do it.
Old 09-27-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
way to revive a post hehe
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

sho_shane has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by jttegx

other than that, NEVER have your paperwork ready until the officer asks for it. and never ask "whats the problem officer?" again. the officer talks, the driver keeps quiet unless asked an question.
You sound like a D**k and need to have that rod removed from your A**
Old 09-28-2005
Registered!!

midnightblueciv is an unknown quantity at this point

what?!?!?! yes have your papers f' ing ready...i have a family member that was shot by a cop because he reached into his glove compartment...and yes ask the stupid pig whats the problem cuz they usually dont have one
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by midnightblueciv
what?!?!?! yes have your papers f' ing ready...i have a family member that was shot by a cop because he reached into his glove compartment...and yes ask the stupid pig whats the problem cuz they usually dont have one
same situation...but i say don't do anything except roll your window down and put your hands on the wheel. There are far to many trigger happy PIGs out there. i'd rather get a ticket that be shot by some useless traffic cop, and yes they are useless bc if everyones doing ten over in thick traffic...that doesn't mean they should just pick the sport compact out of the bunch and hassle the person..my.02
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

tigger happy is putting it lightly
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

*trigger
Old 10-07-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
read this: http://www.ehowa.com/mythoughts/nospeeding.shtml

then you would understand why not to have paperwork ready or ask the officer that specific question. remember: not ALL officers are your super friendly laid back type.

you can have the paperwork ready in your glovebox when asked for, but not right on your lap. have your insurance paper/reg. clipped together inside your glove box. that way, when the officer asks for it, THEN you reach over the glove box and grab that clipped piece
Old 10-07-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

absolut_vodka98 will become famous soon enoughabsolut_vodka98 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by midnightblueciv

Here is a big tip, don't reach for anything in the vehicle until you have been approached and instructed to do so. Your relative just wasn't shot for reaching in the glove box, your relative was shot for various reasons, so the problem isnt the cops it's idiots like you. Was your relative in a well know drug trafficing area? Was a vehicle matching the description of your relatives reported stolen with a weapon, blah, blah, blah. There are several reason why that situation could have occurred. You don't just get shot for reaching in the car, but it's a good way to get a gun pointed at you.
Old 10-09-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by absolut_vodka98
Here is a big tip, don't reach for anything in the vehicle until you have been approached and instructed to do so. Your relative just wasn't shot for reaching in the glove box, your relative was shot for various reasons, so the problem isnt the cops it's idiots like you. Was your relative in a well know drug trafficing area? Was a vehicle matching the description of your relatives reported stolen with a weapon, blah, blah, blah. There are several reason why that situation could have occurred. You don't just get shot for reaching in the car, but it's a good way to get a gun pointed at you.
actually man yeah it was only b/c he reached into his glove compartment...he couldn't speech english well so maybe that was part of it? anyways yeah thanks man for being considerate of a lost relative. so b4 u tell me that i dont have the facts straight when it was MY f'ing relative not yours.
Old 10-09-2005
Premium Member

absolut_vodka98 will become famous soon enoughabsolut_vodka98 will become famous soon enough
I sympathize for you and your relative and it's not that I am trying to be an azzhole. The fact is people have such a large misconception of police. Name a job other than the President that is put on the spot light such as police officers. An officer can save someone's life and nobody knows and possibly no body cares. Yet when an officer makes a mistake or screws up, the whole world knows about it. )Your relatives situation is a very unfortunate scenario that unfortunately ended up in a horrible turn of events.) The biggest problem is that it's not the officer that everyone thinks badly of, it's anyone that is a police officer nation wide. People everyday, throughout the US screw up in their jobs. Whether it be imbezzlement, theft, etc.. Yet no one knows and rarely ever cares. How many of us remember the name of the leading CEO of Enron? (Without looking up the name on the web) However, when an officer screws up, his/her name isn't important, its the fact that their a cop. Once again, i wasn't attempting to be a ***** about the loss of your relative, its that people develop a negative image not about a particular cop, but simply police in general; all due to one cops screw up.
Old 10-09-2005
Registered!!

ok first of all...yes everybody screws up thats a fact...however police officers should be under scruntiny for the simple fact because they can legally kill someone...they should be held under a higher standard...they are here to serve and protect...and you know who they are supposed to serve and protect???? well the answer is me, you, and everybody else yet the police officers everywhere are probably the worst qualified ppl. I admit there are thousands of "Good" cops however the fact is cops are not very well qualified anyone with a high school degree can become one...that just isnt a very assuring thought...i mean most cops are cops not by choice but b/c they couldnt manage somewhere else...give a screw up a gun and now all of a sudden they should be respected nope i dont think so
Old 10-10-2005
Premium Member

Here's is a way to rectify the whole situation. Pay Police Officer's around 90-100k a year, require that they meet a strict guidline for background investigations and require a minimum 4yr degree. Do you honestly think that this will make a difference? Instead cops get paid crap. I will use New Orleans PD (although the recent excessive force charge on the media doens't help), these officers average about 20-23k a year starting out. New Orleans is probably one of the worst areas to work as an officer, your more than likely to be shot, then you are of conceiving a child. Although you say there here to protect you! Yet there supposed to take a bullet for 20k a year, just so that people can feel safe? Are you out of your mind? Most police officer's have families as well and they want to go home just the same as everyone else. I agree that the education requirements aren't set at a high level for some departments; such as your major cities (mostly because the pay is low and the job risk for injury, death or stress related problems are through the roof) because they can't recruit people to be shot at for crappy pay. Higher paying department's and department's that are in safer areas do require college degrees and most of the time prior experience.
To talk about your other topic of "anyone can be a cop", obviously you have no clue the hoops you must go through to become a cop. Some areas vary in the amount a phases however, most departments put you through a series of tests and if you have had any drug usage, theft (whether it be bubblegum or marijuana usage) you will more than likely be disqualified. So not just anybody can become a cop. If you don't beleive me, then go apply to become a cop, go through the motions and if you happen to make it all the way, you can turn down the job and tell them to shove it.
Finally, many cops are good people (this we agree on) although somewhere down the road the can begin to change. Not because they chose to, but because of the events they have experienced.

Example: You are a cop, you have a family at home (wife and kid). You stop a car because they ran a stop sign, as you walk up to the car you see movement in the vehicle. All of a sudden you have a gun pointed directly at you and a shot is fired. the vehicle then speeds off as you check to see if you actually got shot (simply because the fear and adrenaline is so high that you have no idea whether you were shot or not). You look and feel aroud and notice a small hole through your pant leg and at first think nothing of it. You then relize that in order for this hole to be here and the other hole to be there, the bullet had to go through me. By this time you look and notice blood on the pavement below your boot. You have now discovered that you have been shot in the thigh. So the next time you walk up to a car and you see movement, what would your reaction be? Even though you were shot in the thigh, that could have been you neck or head.
Another situation, you respond to a call for a car crash of unkown circumstances. You arrive to the accident and discover a car flipped onto is roof. You jog over to the vehicle to see if everyone is okay. You notice a the driver is somewhat hanging out of the driverside window. After further examination, you notice his head is actually pinned between the ground and the top or the door frame. Better yet, the driver is actually wearing his seatbelt. Even worse you then notice a car seat in the back seat. This car seat has a 16 month old baby girl in the car seat. Half of the childs face is missing, because debris from the accident was projected though the side windown and hit the child directly in the head. By this time a group of civilians run up to the car and one identifies himself as a local EMT/Firefighter and a female identifies herself as one of the local ER trauma nurses. The detect a pulse and insist on removing the driver, since the child is already dead. You have to pry open the door, while 3 men lift up the vehicle to release his head. You as the officer have to reach across a bloody body to undue his seatbelt. The driver then falls onto you covered in blood. You then wriggle out, so as not to move the driver as much as possible. When you get the driver out of the car, most of his face is crushed and blood oozes out of his ears, all while one eye stairs straight up at you. As if though they can still see you. Within 5 minutes the driver flatlines and is dead as well. The whole cause of this accident, a f.u.c.k.ing flat tire. So despite the fact of a college degree, or a H.S. diploma, education makes no impact on the psycological trauma you may encounter. These two incidents are two that have happened to myself in the past 9 months. Yet no amount of education ever prepared me on how to handle this. The fact is that some people don't know how and instead of settling the problems through counseling or other means, they become violent, alcoholics, you get my point.
I am a cop, with a 4yr degree in Business Management with a minor in accounting. I chose to be a cop not because of the pay, not because I couldn't hack it somewhere else, but so that I could possibly influence someones life and help them from making some of the mistakes I have done or have seen.

Last edited by absolut_vodka98; 10-10-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
wow, nice examples, very descriptive
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

White0nGold has a spectacular aura aboutWhite0nGold has a spectacular aura about
well if u read their very descriptive simply because he expirienced them, not to flame u or anything but yea, and as for cops, i agree on both sides, the main thing, i do believe is that their are good cops, and bad cops, and i also believe people have good days, and people have bad days, but i also believe that being an "officer of the law" should have an exception on their bad days, because i've had incidents where the cop is a real j3rk, for god knows what reason, and i'm the type of person that goes by "give respect to get respect" but as for a cop, i do respect some that shouldnt, but its because i have to....but yea, all and all it was a bad scenario for ur relative, their is no one to blame, and the cop that shot ur relative, YES, he is a cop and shouldnt have done that, and also YES he is also a human being that has instincts just like u and i , .....all and all after that i'm sorry for you losing a relative.
Old 11-07-2005
Registered!!

CivicSF should not be trustedCivicSF should not be trusted
easiest way is to hand him your info with your lawyer's business card on top. that got me outta 3 speeding tickets, two of the instances the cop just handed my **** right back and said get outta here. however i definitely see this NOT working also... cop doesn't need to do **** with the lawyer and still can give you a ticket. but... i will be doing in the future, seems to get em enough on the defensive without directly confronting the cop yourself, just evens the field a little
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know man, I keep my s hit right in my cd holder visor thing, I get pulled over so damn much, it's easier that way, and I'm not really reaching for anything?