Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

HID's Illegal? (Just got a ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
well I aimed my lights all the way down and went to the police station to get the compliance on my ticket signed off. I went their paid my 4 dollars and the cop was supposed to call an officer out to look at my car to check it out, but I guess the lady at the desk was feeling in a good mood and didn;t even bother and just signed it off for me. So I got a freebie on that one.
Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

xDCx will become famous soon enoughxDCx will become famous soon enough
^^^Yup, nozzles chrome painted and everything. *Instant boost, a must have.

Old 01-04-2005
Registered!!

awww skeet skeet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12-31-04_2124.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	44757  
Old 01-08-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
u guys may want to read this. for our hid's users
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1104891
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

^Hmm, I wonder if theres a way to open up the stock housing, and insert an HID reflective piece???
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DestnationUnkwn is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by injencivic
best thing to do is contact the agency that wrote you the citation and ask them if aftermarket hids are illegal... dont tell them you got a ticket. and if they say they are illegal then ask for the state code for that law.

Injen
Its federal motor vehicle law. U.S. DOT, not state DOT.
Old 01-08-2005
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Originally Posted by CivicRidaz1
^Hmm, I wonder if theres a way to open up the stock housing, and insert an HID reflective piece???
That would be harder than doing a projector retrofit...

anyways, the main reason kits are illegal is cause the quality of them suck... and yes, they are blinding people.

So, get your hands on a high quality set (PM me)
Old 01-08-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
IMO, It's freaking stupid from the law's point of view to say that HIDs would be illegal on a car that doesn't come with them from factory. I mean, what's the big fvckin' diference from one that comes with them? I'd say that as long as you have them within specs they should be ok. How the hell does he know that yours are blinding ppl?? I feel like sometimes laws are written by a six year old.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 01-08-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2005
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DestnationUnkwn
Its federal motor vehicle law. U.S. DOT, not state DOT.
A federal law means that states don't have to follow it, it's only a general guideline that states SHOULD do, not MUST do. Most of the time states just ignore what's going on in D.C., and again, municipal authorities also can ignore what's going on in the state capital, so that's why we got every single person having different experience with HIDs. Look back at your college/high school government book and you'll know(something like federal government have no authority over states' decision, and states' decision don't affect local, etc., UNLESS you're crossing the state border or city limit/county limit).

My experience was not caught on HIDs, but on blue TINTED bulb, a while ago(last century). It was a law, no idea what law at all, state that nobody can use a blue TINTED bulb(!? now it would be F'd up by everybody if someone says that!!) on motor vehicle. I was driving in Houston without any problem, but was stopped twiced in Friendswood, near Houston. I recall that federal law OK'd any kind of bulb as long as it's 55W and output complies to FMV-108. So it was not a federal law, nor a state law, but it's their local thing. State doesn't bother me either in that either.

Another thing is that, if you are stopped by cops in state capital, you have a higher chance to be stopped by cops elsewhere. Believe it or not, capital police(at least in Texas) let you do whatever most of the time, unless it is out of their tolerance, which is a pretty high tolerance comparing to all other cities or towns.

Last edited by 82801BA; 01-21-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
a couple years ago they made it illegal to sell kits unless its an option from a car dealer. its not always ok to slap and hid kit because your headlights werent made for it so the beam is too intense and even low beam is blinding for oncomers due to the angles and stuff built into stock headlight... if you have projectors chances are it would be less bright to oncomers... normally the most common problem is that the beam aims too high you can see a defined line on ... lets say a wall ur parked in front of and it should shoot straight out and angle down a bit but sometimes it aims far up and its not too noticeable on a wall but a few hundered feet away that angle is enough to blind oncomers.... if you alrieady have it on they shouldnt be able to ticket you if you can give them a receipt with a date from b4 the law is passed. ..... although im still going to buy an hid kit from canada
Old 01-21-2005
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
Originally Posted by 82801BA
municipal authorities also can ignore what's going on in the state capital, so that's why we got every single person having different experience with HIDs.
Municipal and county agencies must follow state laws. They do not get to make up their own.
Old 01-21-2005
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
May be. But I've never seen that happen.
Old 01-21-2005

diablo69 will become famous soon enoughdiablo69 will become famous soon enough
i'm thinking about getting a kit for my car but dunno, don't wanna see scattered light everywhere blinding people, i might keep my silverstars instead.
Old 01-22-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
if the kit is good, there won't be a problem. I never get flashed and the people driving in front say they look normal.
Old 01-22-2005

diablo69 will become famous soon enoughdiablo69 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox
if the kit is good, there won't be a problem. I never get flashed and the people driving in front say they look normal.
so it'll be alright to install hid in a reflector housing? if so, i'mma get an xtec kit.
Old 01-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DestnationUnkwn is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 82801BA
A federal law means that states don't have to follow it, it's only a general guideline that states SHOULD do, not MUST do. Most of the time states just ignore what's going on in D.C., and again, municipal authorities also can ignore what's going on in the state capital, so that's why we got every single person having different experience with HIDs. Look back at your college/high school government book and you'll know(something like federal government have no authority over states' decision, and states' decision don't affect local, etc., UNLESS you're crossing the state border or city limit/county limit).

My experience was not caught on HIDs, but on blue TINTED bulb, a while ago(last century). It was a law, no idea what law at all, state that nobody can use a blue TINTED bulb(!? now it would be F'd up by everybody if someone says that!!) on motor vehicle. I was driving in Houston without any problem, but was stopped twiced in Friendswood, near Houston. I recall that federal law OK'd any kind of bulb as long as it's 55W and output complies to FMV-108. So it was not a federal law, nor a state law, but it's their local thing. State doesn't bother me either in that either.

Another thing is that, if you are stopped by cops in state capital, you have a higher chance to be stopped by cops elsewhere. Believe it or not, capital police(at least in Texas) let you do whatever most of the time, unless it is out of their tolerance, which is a pretty high tolerance comparing to all other cities or towns.
That couldnt be further from the truth. FMVSS. Look it up. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. In order more vehicle manufaturers to do business in the US they have to adhere to minimal safety standards set by?...The Federal Government! FMVSS includes lighting on a motor vehicle. I think its FMVSS no 108. Look that up too. States can always make the manufacturers adhere to higher standards than the federal standards but not lower. Look at vehicle pollution laws the feds set a standard, California makes it even more stringent. Sure states have their own laws and govern themselves to a certain point. But they are not totally indepent of the federal govt. Look at the FEDERAL ban on assault weapons, states cant say 'well we choose not to follow this law', They have to follow it. Look at medical marijuana laws. California passed a medical marijuana law but feds keep busting the doctors and places that give it out(you have to have a prescription to get it at these places). FMVSS id federal and cant be fought by the states. If your local police officer decides its not worth his time to give you a ticket then he wont, but that doesnt mean it legal. If you dont get a speeding ticket on the highways doesnt mean speeding above the limit is not illegal. Another example would be the old 55mph speed limit. That was a federal limit. When it was lifted the feds gave the states power to choose their own limits but couldnt take it above 75. Look it up. So please dont give out fals information on how HIDs arent illegal if they were not originally installed in the vehicle by its manufacturer. THey also dont grandfather this law either. So if you bought them before the ban you still have to take them out. They are still illegal.
Old 01-22-2005
Supertastic Member.

Dishwasher is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by infinite012
isn't there an amendment that goes with what you just said? i think it was part of the 5th amendment of the u.s. constitution, but i'm not too sure.

like, you do something that is "okay" and a cop pulls you over and just compliments your ride, and then two weeks later the cop pulls you over for no reason except that what you did 2 weeks ago is in violation with a law that was passed yesterday.
Yeah that's called a grandfater clause.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by infinite012
isn't there an amendment that goes with what you just said? i think it was part of the 5th amendment of the u.s. constitution, but i'm not too sure.

like, you do something that is "okay" and a cop pulls you over and just compliments your ride, and then two weeks later the cop pulls you over for no reason except that what you did 2 weeks ago is in violation with a law that was passed yesterday.
It's called Ex Post Facto. You can't be convicted of a crime when if it was legal when you commited the act even if there is a law against it now. That is why you don't have to add air bags and seat belts to old cars.
Old 01-26-2005
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
where can you go , or how can you learn to correctly aim your headlights, i dont have hids but thought about it , bt i think i aimed my tycs a little off especially the high beams
Old 01-26-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
id think the only way to aim them is the same way you normally would
Old 01-26-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you don't aim hi beams. Low beams are aimed like normal. You could use the method where you park in a flat surface and gradually kneel down. You can sorta see which side is brighter and lower it down. The lights should get really bright when you're almost touching the ground.
Old 11-06-2009
Registered!!

davidjames19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HID's Illegal? (Just got a ticket)

Yo,

Sucks about your ticket. I don't get these stupid laws either.

Here's a video that goes over the basics

http://www.clearlights.org/hid-headlights.html
Old 08-22-2010
Registered!!

EF_SPiXX? is an unknown quantity at this point

Hid's arent illegal where im from (delaware) you can have them as long as their not blue (12000K) purple or red, 10000K and below is legal, maybe every state is different but i have 8000ks on my EF hatch never gotten pulled over
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

LatchJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

I live just outside of Syracuse NY. Even by a major city and being 2010, HID's are still rare. I wanted a set for my 04 Mercury Mountaineer and didnt know what their legalities were. I hit the forums and got a mass of conflicting statements so i actually called a few places myself. I first called my local state police station and asked to talk to the officer who handles the traffic infractions. I asked him if HID's were illegal in halogen light vehicles. His initial reply was they do pull over drivers with them. I asked why and he stated cause they were blinding. Halogen based vehicles have higher lights cause halogen isnt as bright. Xenon is significantly brighter and in stock housings can be blinding cause they go straight into oncoming traffics eyes. Just find a way to angle it down some. I asked for an actual law stating they were illegal and he put me on hold. He came back to say they is absolutly no law in NY or federally saying they are illegal. You can get pulled over if they are preceived as blinding to the police officer but thats the extent. He went on to say he checked the supreme court rulings and there has never been a case brought up where someone or some group have contested it as a law.Basically in NY and on the federal level it is 100% legal to drive with them in halogen housings. Granted state laws can make aomething illegal that the federal level deems legal(though not vise versa) so check your state athorities. Next i tackled the notion of failing an inspection. I called my mechanic and he told me he has never failed nor knew anyone who failed someone who had aftermarket HID's. To verify i called the DMV to confirm i would pass an inspection. Again both state wide and federally there is no law against it. The only thing that is looked at when getting an inspection is if a vehicle has high beams and low beams. Im posting this for the people who are currently looking to see if its legal or not and may be confused by the people who really dont know what they are talking about or stating false statements they may have read or heard from someone else. Plain and simple, it takes less than 5 minutes to call your local state troopers to find out. Its worth the $100+ ticket risk.
Old 11-27-2010
Premium Member

www.hidplanet.com
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

pinkcivicma283 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok so i kno its way late to post on this but got ticketed today for the same bs n yeah def not no 10 fix it ticket 100.... is there a way to beat the ticket.. cop told me they r o so blinding wtf but windows r blker then blk n nuthin said.. is there a web site that shows illegal car mods in fl..?
Old 03-11-2011
Registered!!

Anthony18 is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in the same area you do and i actualy emailed the person who deals with traffic violations and he did say that hids r illegal and there is a law stating that u cant have a light bulb brighter than 32 candlepower. so idk wher eu got ur informatin but its wrong this is what he sent back tome after asking him if hid's are legal
"Title 3, Article 9, Section 375, Subsections 2(c) & 41(1) of the New
York State Vehicle and Traffic Law (NYSVTL) state:
§ 2(c). No lamp shall be used on a motor vehicle having a light
source greater than thirty-two candle power, unless such lamp is
approved by the commissioner as provided by this section. The
provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any light which
is permitted to be displayed only on an authorized emergency vehicle,
a hazard vehicle or a vehicle which is permitted to display a blue or
green light pursuant to paragraphs four and five of subdivision
forty-one of this section.

§ 41(1). No light, other than a white light, and no revolving,
rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall
be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed
herein."

i do have hids in my car and i did get a ticket for them but its not cuz i have hids its cuz they r blue lol and apparently if they r white then that would be fine -_- but i bought the 8000k for a reason

Last edited by Anthony18; 04-03-2011 at 01:33 PM.