Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

How much? (assault and robbery)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon2BeGrlRacer will become famous soon enough
Question How much? (assault and robbery)

Initial question
How much jailtime can a man get for beating a woman and stealing her purse?

And...
If someone calls the cops on someone and at the last minute tells the cops that they dont want to press charges, can they press charges later on, or is it to late, and they lost their chance?

Im wondering because this happened to one of my best friends (Ill refer to her as "victim" as I tell the story) yesterday, and even after calling the cops, she told them that didnt want the man (her psycho exbf) to get arrested.

Last night when I went over "victim's" house (with another girlfriend of mine) to pick her up so we can go out, when I found her psycho exbf beating her up, and ripping her clothing off. I went hysterical, and after a good 30 minutes of yelling/cursing/violence finally he left. After he left I was rushing "victim" to change clothes, and the phone starts ringing, its psycho exbf calling and threatening me, the girl I came with, and "victim".

I told her I was going to call the cops and she said not to, so whatever I was like your dumb, and told her we we're going to my house. After an hour of looking out the window, and making sure psycho exbf wasnt still around, we finally left and was heading to my car 2 houses down. All of sudden the psycho exbf comes out of no where, I swear this guy just appeared like he jumped from a tree or something, and starts chasing us with another guy I have never seen. Psycho exbf pushes me and the girl I came with to the floor, and starts beating on "victim" again, finally stops, takes her purse, and speeds off in a white malibu.

I called the cops immediately after he pushed me and the girl I came with and gave them the plates, car info, etc. The cops come, throw me in the back seat of the copcar, and begin chasing this car who fit the decription but had different plates. Meanwhile, my 2 friends are waiting for me in my car to come back. The cops tell me they want to speak to "victim" so we go back and they begin talking to her about what she wants to do. "Victim" says she just wants her bag back and that she doesnt want psycho exbf arrested. The cops leave , and "victim" calls psycho exbf on my phone (great now he has my number), to "negotiate" , a way to get her bag back. After an hour of arguing with that ******* he finally agrees to drop the bag off somewhere and we went to pick it up.

I want this guy in jail, is there anything I can do, or is it all up to "victim"?
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Well, if he pushed you, he did commit assault. But really his list are huge. Domestic violence, robbery, aggravated assault, stalking.

Your victim should file a restainin order before he kills her.
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

jyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
and get some pepperspray. sorry to hear that. i doubt she can file those charges again since she all ready pulled them once.
Old 10-11-2004
Registered!!

I wish I had pepperspray that night...but if I press charges for pushing me, wouldnt that be hard to prove, because I have no evidence, like bruises or cuts. Truth is I just want him to leave her alone...I just found out that this guy has a warrent out also , yesterday was the perfect oppurtunity to get him locked up for good.
Old 10-12-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rickinthescv
Your victim should file a restainin order before he kills her.
This is my biggest fear, Im afraid that if I press charges they are gonna drop the case because of lack of evidence and then hell take it out on "victim", and go after her even worse than he already has

hmmm, wait...since he has a warrant out for his arrest from something else, can I report to the precinct that I know where they can find him, so he can get locked up?
Old 10-12-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Soon2BeGrlRacer
This is my biggest fear, Im afraid that if I press charges they are gonna drop the case because of lack of evidence and then hell take it out on "victim", and go after her even worse than he already has

hmmm, wait...since he has a warrant out for his arrest from something else, can I report to the precinct that I know where they can find him, so he can get locked up?

im pretty sure they have all that info.....or else they would of picked him up already...know what i mean?

but i mean if he is staying somewhere else then otherwise stated in the info they have i guess you could call them and tell them....but really...it's between her and him... you should leave that alone. I know he pushed you and all but still it's between them to. I know your trying to be a good friend but damm...if she doesn't want help them **** it.
Old 10-12-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
She might hate your forever if you get him locked up
Old 10-12-2004
SiG
Registered!!

SiG will become famous soon enoughSiG will become famous soon enough
Im sorry to hear this. ive actually seen a similar situation as a matter of fact

Maybe ask the victim if she would like to file a restraining order on the guy. So he is now given the opportunity to chose his own destiny. Maybe she wont feel as bad cuz this is a direct warning, and if he chooses to go against it, then it tells you he wants to go to jail.

If he pushed up on you, you can charge him if the girl you came over with saw it happen. otherwise its your word against his, in which case you still look good cuz the cops know that the guy is guilty and got off lucky cuz the victim didnt have him arrested. So he evidently has a tendency to become violent. But keep in mind, that could get him more pissed and lead to more **** happening.

Hope this situation gets better, all the best

Last edited by SiG; 10-12-2004 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2004
Registered!!

I know...and I thought about that before I made this post...

I rather her hate me forever then get hurt anymore by this guy, at least Ill know he cant just run up on her anytime she leaves her house.
Old 10-12-2004
SiG
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mr.Modify
She might hate your forever if you get him locked up
Thats true, she may not see you're looking out for her and blowup on you. thats thin ice to be walking on, cuz she could get real upset, or refer to you as the reason shes still alive, all depends on how she feels that day
Good luck
Old 10-12-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
unfortunately i have been thru this type of bullshit time and time again. but im pretty sure only the victim can press charges. and if u decide to press charges about him pushin u, it probably wont do any good if he doesnt have a previous record, or even if he does, i dont think the court will take a case for a push. If his record is clean, and "victim" doesnt press charges, then nothin will happen to him. If he does have a record they might tell him to go to anger management classes, or maybe some cumminity service.

however, if he really beat up his g/f bad and you have pics of it, then you might have something. If not, its "innocent until proven guilty". So, if you have no hard evidence, you're pretty much assed out.
Old 10-12-2004
SiG
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Soon2BeGrlRacer
There is a warrant for his arrest so obviously his plate aint clean...
Old 10-12-2004
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
Not much can be done at this point. Even though you were pushed, you could have him charged with assault, if the police decided it fit within the assault statue, but due to limited evidence, significance of assault and time frame, would probably be dropped by the district attorney. If your friend doesnt want to press charges, thats that. Not much can be done there either. Its her choice not yours. She can apply to get a PFA (protection from abuse) order against the male party. That would prohibit him from having contact with her ant her residnce, school, place of employement etc. A violation of this would mean automatic arrest. As far as having a warrant, no sense in calling the local precint regarding this. Do you know how many hundreds upon thousands of warrants come out a week? Trust me, I see tons of warrants come out every week. Unless it is a felony warrant (robbery, rape, murder etc) the police are not going to go actively hunt him down. They will simply get him when they run into him.
Old 10-12-2004
Registered!!

SpeedTrap is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, you do have a window in which to press charges. It varies town to town based on their statute of limitations.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. Sounds for for now, a restraining order needs to be filed. It's a matter of security and knowing that this guy won't be able to push her around unless he wishes on spending some time in jail. The one "plus" to a restraining order is that you can drop it when you go to court. You don't have to, you can go through with it and get it to last for years, but if you drop it, it's kind of like a "don't mess with me" message, only 5 times as strong.

Best of luck with everything! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-12-2004
Registered!!

Thank you everybody for your input, I spoke to her today and she is considering a restraining order...I hope she doesnt back out again.

Ill update on that as soon as I get a final answer from her.
Old 10-12-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
A 22 cal. works pretty good too, it bounces around in his head instead of exiting. He seriously needs a beating. Press charges and keep track of dates and time from now on of any problems.