Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

****California Laws for Import mods and street racing***

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004
Hail to the king baby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
Post ****California Laws for Import mods and street racing***

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Street racing is illegal. The CHP won't hesitate to take street racers to court.

A first conviction on a street racing violation means:

* Minimum county jail sentence of 24 hours and maximum of 90 days.
* Vehicle probably impounded for at least 30 days.
* Owner responsible for vehicle's towing and storage charges ($1,000 or more).
* If owner fails to pay, vehicle could be sold at a lien sale.
* Anyone who aids or abets a street race also faces a maximum 90-day jail sentence.

Instead, take your car to a National Hot Rod Association-sanctioned track or drag strip, where you can race safely under optimum conditions.

Plus a list of all mods that are illegal and that CHP will pull you over for and ticket you.

Last edited by AZ2K1Civic; 03-18-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2004
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome post bro...this should answer a lot of Cali law questions
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
thankgod now we see the light

Injen
Old 04-07-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
*i kno this is an old forum, but i just read it..*

california needs to stop being gay. so many driving laws on the road. worrying about the most stupidest ****.

and plus, their not even specific on the laws. how many percent tint on rear?
a car cant be too low... how about those trucks being too dam high?
my dad has a 4runner with a huge *** steel grill on the front of his suv thats probably weighs 20lbs... if he were to have an head on collision with 2dr coupe, that grill would go straight thru the drivers face.
"Illegal lights, whether or not they are operating. It is illegal just to have them on the vehicle (24003 VC). " <-- wtf are they talkin about?

"Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC). " hazard lights look cool...

theirs so much to say... california is going to far with the driving rules/laws.

their probably gonna ban spinners now for "distraction to driver on road for having amazing wheels".

oh yea, i seen fools who drive and open their doors for fun, is that breaking the law? if yes, which one.

thanks.
Old 04-10-2004
SICCMADE

Danka02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny i live not more than a mile from chp station and they all go to my local gas station to fill up when i pass or get gas i never get messed with for my exhuast being to loud when i leave and i always punch it getting on the freeway when their are all getting gas just waiting for them but they are all lazy anyway
Old 04-10-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I would do fine in cali. And there's a reason for those laws. Do you know how many ricers you would see with neons, headlights of every color in the rainbow, and obnoxious bass that rattles your car from a block away? It's really not asking much, and we still get to keep our white turn signals.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

invasian is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ oh so true. gotta love cali.
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

miklovo is an unknown quantity at this point
lemme tell ya too, i was recently pulled over for street racing and i wasn't even racing!!! They were real ****s about it. I still have to go to court next month to see if I can get screwed over even worse!!!!
Old 04-28-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
i know someone that got pulled over for "accelerating too quickly," but he wasn't speeding...
Old 04-30-2004
Registered!!

miklovo is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds identical to my problem. Never even hit the speed limit but because i took off fast at the intersection and my car's loud, the cop said I was racing.
Old 05-10-2004
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
go to court and have the judge ask the cop if you were going over the speed limit, if not.. what can get they you with? nothing.
"you were doing 25 in a 45.. but you were getting to 45 too quickly mister"
lol. i'm just glad i live nowhere near cali. some stuuuuupid laws you guys have.
Old 05-17-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
I am a victim of my own posting!!!

I just got pulled over for my car not having a fron liscence plate.

Also the cop made me pop my hood and spent about 3 minutes looking for anything that
didn't have C.A.R.B. exempt tags. He asked if I had paperwork for the tags...told him no.

He then asked about my exhaust and I just said it is 50 state legal....he checkedt o see if the CAT
was still there.

now I have to put the front plate back on and go to the cop shop to have them sign off my ticket.

I'm thinking about putting it on with some velcro and then ripping it off in front of them ... bad idea?

The cop said that they need the front plate on so that if the car is stolen, then they could see the front plate coming at them and get the stolen car back.

I told him yeah right...it so the Red-light cameras can get me now.

He then said that there is a way to beat the red-light camera...."go at least 12mph faster than the posted speed limit and it won't register to take your picture"

I dunno though?
Old 06-02-2004
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
he's baiting you on the red light camera
Old 07-22-2004
Hail to the king baby

Originally Posted by Ellocodetroit
he's baiting you on the red light camera

nothing but a little gloss spray paint on the front plate wont hurt though
:-)
Old 07-22-2004
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
I have to agree that California has some stupid laws.

Where you guys aware the in California car don't need to have a speedometer? How can you tell how fast you are going then?

I know this cause I told the judge that I was going 67 on a 65 because the tires I had then were bigger than OEM and therefore my speedometer was reading 65.

Yes I got a ticket for going 67 on a 65. When I got pulled over he said that he Estimated my speed at 90mph then he said radar got me at 67 but that’s because I slowed down by the time radar got me.
Old 08-28-2004
Registered!!

sephy is an unknown quantity at this point
"Remember - FTBC (failure to be cool) is not a crime!" ... wha... why?? ... i'm just gonna leave that one
Old 09-06-2004
Registered!!

thejdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by EManEX
Yes I got a ticket for going 67 on a 65. When I got pulled over he said that he Estimated my speed at 90mph then he said radar got me at 67 but that’s because I slowed down by the time radar got me.
I would've been like, I don't give a **** what you estimated, it's what the radar say's that counts!

jDoG
Old 09-10-2004

TurboDreamZ is an unknown quantity at this point
lmaoo.. same here.. the velcro thing is a good idea.. ima try that redlight camera thing.. except ima go around 2 AM in the morning at go at it at like 80+ see what happens.. if they can catch me going that fast.. i will GLADLY pay that ticket.
Old 09-10-2004

TurboDreamZ is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm.. funy how most bikes dont have front liscence plates? what if a bike is stolen? ill take that plate to my chest with neon around it so the cop could see its stolen they STILL aint guna catch me.. 15.7 sec cop car vs 12 second bike, on the other hand u have gheto bird.. top speed 120 vs bike 150+... i wouldnt steel a slow bike either.. but im not that kind of person but those piglets love assing themselves with stupid statements
Old 10-05-2004
Registered!!

VietScouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jttegx
*i kno this is an old forum, but i just read it..*

california needs to stop being gay. so many driving laws on the road. worrying about the most stupidest ****.

and plus, their not even specific on the laws. how many percent tint on rear?
a car cant be too low... how about those trucks being too dam high?
my dad has a 4runner with a huge *** steel grill on the front of his suv thats probably weighs 20lbs... if he were to have an head on collision with 2dr coupe, that grill would go straight thru the drivers face.
"Illegal lights, whether or not they are operating. It is illegal just to have them on the vehicle (24003 VC). " <-- wtf are they talkin about?

"Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC). " hazard lights look cool...

theirs so much to say... california is going to far with the driving rules/laws.

their probably gonna ban spinners now for "distraction to driver on road for having amazing wheels".

oh yea, i seen fools who drive and open their doors for fun, is that breaking the law? if yes, which one.

thanks.

Since they're strict on gun laws...next thing u know people will be killing eachother with stick and stones! LOL!
Old 10-19-2004
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
California Vehicle Code:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/veh.html
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

sb143hd is an unknown quantity at this point
i got popped coming home for a hooters in ontario cali, and i wasn't out there racing, but the cop said my exaust was too loud! it is stock?!!! he made me pop my hood and gave me **** about no carb sticker, and nitrous!!!!!! what as s holes! in 6 months i've been pulled over 32 times
Old 11-15-2004
Registered!!

onelonelydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Even tho I dont live in cali... I think that cops pull some people over just for the heck of it. so they can give all of us hard times. I have been pulled over once for missing a front license and i got a warning. and a couple of times for passing the curfew before, and still got warnings. I dunno man, they're just there looking for people who drives fixed up cars.
Old 12-22-2004
Registered!!

OhmyRocks is an unknown quantity at this point
i got pulled over for not having my front plate in montclair cali. and he said my tint was illegal and its really light in tha front...and in upland i got pulled over for my front plate and he told me my car was to low......do u kno if they have a law about gutting you car.....bkuz i don't have back seats i ripped everyting out...handles great around corners and my acceleration picked up ...i hope its not illegal...but i heard it was...some one please get back at me on this one THANX...PEACE
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

HOOCHYboi is an unknown quantity at this point
My friends and I are thinking about moving to Cali, and here in NM they just barely passed exhaust laws. After reading all this... i don't know if i want to move there anymore.... i would have to change everything on my car... and i'm all ready to check out the racing scene out there in LA... any suggestions?
Old 02-12-2005
Registered!!

socalcivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
so, according to them any tint in the front 3 windows is illegal?
it said that it is only legal BEHIND the drivers head.

also, it didnt say anyhting about neons, only that flassing lights are always illegal.
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

Rotarynomore is an unknown quantity at this point
A cop telling the truth?

I dont know about the 12+ mph to avoid pictures from the red light camera but at 40mph your moving 58ft/sec and at 52mph your moving 76ft/sec. given an intersection is what 80-100 ft, your moving 46% faster than your susposto. I have no clue what speed the camera shutter speed is but if it is set at anything over 500th of a sec then chances are your plates will come up clear. I think the cop has been lying.
Old 12-24-2006
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough
in 6 months i've been pulled over 32 times
has it ever dawned on you that you may need to re-evaluate your driving habits or the legality of your car? ill give you the benefit of the doubt and say maybe 1 or 2 of them were just dicks, but 32.....
Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

dbsk8r1212 will become famous soon enough
Re: ****California Laws for Import mods and street racing***

yea i think 32 is a bit to many.
in the south like the country.
cops don't stop you for anything really.
unless its really dull like no major events occurin in the news it seems like.
idk when everythings all peaceful and all they pull u over but like if theres like a war or somethin big they just let you pass by nd keep on racin or w/e
ha i had a cop go about 85 90 passed me takin his kid to school.
i was goin about 75 80 nd thats in a 45.
so yea cops here are sorta lenyant or however u spell that
Old 10-24-2007
Registered!!

LoneWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ****California Laws for Import mods and street racing***

Im glad I live in FL

Quick Reply: ****California Laws for Import mods and street racing***