Project Seafoam (Jim's GC8 WRX conversion)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005
Ask me about your mom.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura about
Project Seafoam (Jim's GC8 WRX conversion)

I thought I'd start a thread so that I, and others, can keep track of how my project is going.

So far, I have bought the GC8 chassis, and have gutted the interior. It's ugly as hell (don't have pics yet), and will be the ultimate sleeper. It's a four door impreza (1995) and will eventually house a WRX engine/tranny.

For the engine and transmission, I'm still on the fence. Do I want to go all out, or save my money for upgrades?

To save my money, I could buy a regular WRX engine:
http://www.lachuteperformance.com/cg...1&a=dc&pid=221

Or, to go ***** out, I could buy a complete STi Ver 7 Spec C driveline, and only have minor details to iron out before completing the swap (rad, fuel cage, pedal/linkage for clutch...mine's an auto, etc):
http://www.fourstarmotorsports.com/C...ivetrain_6.htm

I'm kinda on the fence.
For just a WRX (USDM), it would be $5000 for the engine and parts.
For the Spec C (version 7 STi), it's gonna be $13000.

Is the difference worth the money? I was planning on putting in the IHI VF34 turbo into my engine regardless, and modding the engine over time. So I'm wondering if the money would be better spent on upgrades, instead of trying to go fast in a short amount of time?
Horsepower difference: 227 vs. 280 tough call.

I'm leaning towards the USDM wrx...but feel free to bitz-slap me and give me your opinion.

...Planned upgrades for when I install the engine.
Fidenza flywheel
ACT clutch + pressure plate combo (organic)
Stainless steel clutch line (not gonna have one to begin with, so might as well go big)
$2000 budget for wheels + tires (might have to get crappy tires to start off with)
Front + Rear swaybars

Once the engine is installed, the fun begins. I've got a huge list of parts I want to dump into the beast, and I figure it'll take about 3 years to do it all. In the meantime, I'll enter as many races as I can and keep on tweaking the settings until she's perfect

Can't wait to start the swap!
Old 01-10-2005

Si2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really nice
Originally Posted by tekgnosis
...$2000 budget for wheels + tires (might have to get crappy tires to start off with)...
I wouldn't suggest getting aftermarket wheels from CT....they order from keystone and Keystone is crazy expensive. I suggest going to deals 4 wheels Kanata and talk to "Happy" (not his real name it's his nick name)...he will hook you up with an amazing price. Whenever you decide to go let me know and I'll go with you. He is a buddy of mine so we can chat it up and maybe hook you up with some light-weight rota's!
Old 01-10-2005

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
i say go with the USDM for 5grand, 13 grand is a bit too much, plus u will add some goddies to it and probebly get it up to the specs of the other engine with less money. 13 grand for an engine is quite a bit for 53 extra hoursepower.

plus the money u save u can put towards better rubber which makes a huge diffrence
Old 01-10-2005
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
hmmm jimbo...i dunno man...if u get the rolling frame you already have all the upgraded brakes....axles...exhaust...suspension...etc...
Plus the engine is from the sti so its more pimp to talk about
haha honestly if I could afford it id prolly go ***** out...but it is alot of cash....but considering how much u paid for ur "shell" ud pretty much be getting a brand new car for lets say 15-17 grand after some upgrades...and a new paint job. The wrx motor would also be sleek, and i dont know much about the diff between the sti and wrc motors but im assuming one is a diff turbo (u said u would change it out regardless) so it really depends. Are you gonna want to upgrade ur suspension/brakes/axles later? Cuz with the WRX motor ur not getting anything else besides the motor and linkage.

I dunno man tough decision...its alot of money...but just think of what ur getting for it and if its what you want.

Andrew: i think when he meant "crappy tires" he actually meant shitty tires ala khumo...not CT
Old 01-10-2005
Ask me about your mom.

tekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura about
i think the modest go-between is gonna be the version 4 STi on the same page.

I'm gonna have to get new brakes and whatnot if I go that route...but at least I can do it over time, and not BAM! right up the a$$ to begin with, ya know?

plus, it gives me the brembo option, and not just the STi option. brembo's have 6 pot fronts, whereas STi only has 4 pot fronts.

i'm thinkin version 4 (has the sweet 4.444 final drive gearbox).

and Baller is right: I meant shizitty tires...not ones from crappy tire hehehe Good rims + crap tires for first few seasons.
then i'll hit up some advans (cheater slicks)

grr..tough stuff to deal with. I don't wanna cop out with just the USDM, but I don't wanna waste money for the version 7. honestly, i'd be throwing out the brakes (sellign on ebay which is a biatch), the swaybars, suspension, etc. not really sure it's worth it.

ack. more comments welcome. i think this is helping me sway towards the version 4.
Old 01-10-2005
Nugget Garage Wannabe

SuperFishy is on a distinguished road
well when you put it like this, that extra chunk of money that you would be spending on the jdm version is only going to be a money pit, parts will break on it and they will be have to be ordered from japan, thats no fun, the usdm one you could pick up locally right? I'd build up a usdm engine drop in some JE pistons and crower rods or something nice shiney crank, you'll make more power that way as well and have a built bulit proof engine. Correct me if im wrong but in auto cross would 6 pot calipers not be over kill? you'll be able to lock your wheels up at like 200kmph, autocross never gets much above 2nd gear right, i believe it was you even who was telling me bigger brakes isnt always better :P. tires are over rated anyway, snow tires kick ***, then summer tires in the winter, boy i got it all backwards.
Old 01-10-2005

Si2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really nice
...and Baller is right: I meant shizitty tires...not ones from crappy tire hehehe Good rims + crap tires for first few seasons.
then i'll hit up some advans (cheater slicks)
ahhhh i see...my bad. None the less, if you are interested in any wheel and tire package then let me know and I'll try to get you the best price
Old 01-11-2005
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

EŽik will become famous soon enoughEŽik will become famous soon enough
Andrew, wasn't Mike from D4W on Merivale your buddy as well??? what happened to that guy?

How long have you been going to the D4W in Kanata?
Old 01-11-2005
Ask me about your mom.

Alright...I might spazz out and buy a version 5 STi engine this weekend....the ebay one that Freddy and I checked out in mtl last monday.

fingers crossed...hopefully it'll work out.
Old 01-11-2005
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
spazz away!! i think thats a better option!!
Lemme know what happens...ii cant wait to help u drop that puppy in!!!
Old 01-11-2005

Originally Posted by DnarahP
Andrew, wasn't Mike from D4W on Merivale your buddy as well??? what happened to that guy?

How long have you been going to the D4W in Kanata?
he is a spokesman for a parts company...he doesnt work at D4W anymore.
I know all the guys a D4W but since Mike doesn't work their anymore I go to happy cuz he hooks me up the best.
Old 01-11-2005

Happy makes you ... Happy? Yes?

lol
Old 01-12-2005
Drifting away in time and space...

Lynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura about
Jim! go get that Version 5 engine in MTL!!!! do it!!! DO IT!!!!! DOOO IIITTT!!!!!

peer pressure... he he
Old 01-12-2005
Drifting away in time and space...

Lynk has a spectacular aura aboutLynk has a spectacular aura about
btw... can you pick a gayer name for your project? i mean... did Abe think it up for ya?
Old 01-12-2005
Ask me about your mom.

rofl

I'm not that creative

It's the currently gay colour of the car. I'm open to suggestions...

Ok, so I'm workin out the financial details right now. It all boils down to the money (as always)...if it works out, i'll go to mtl this weekend and hizzit it up!

Version 5 STi...*fingers crossed* (280HP)
Old 01-12-2005
JdMsPark009

JDMspark009 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FreddySi
Jim! go get that Version 5 engine in MTL!!!! do it!!! DO IT!!!!! DOOO IIITTT!!!!!

peer pressure... he he

Im with Freddy on this Too Mtl we go but we need to make a stop for the KK
Old 01-12-2005

YEAH!!!! are we gonna do this Saturday or Sunday?
Old 01-12-2005
JdMsPark009

Sunday
Old 01-12-2005

damn I gotta work Sunday

Jim, need any parts parts for your project?

http://lecavalier.com/phautopak/en/index.cgi
http://lecavalier.com/phautopak/en/index.cgi

Last edited by Si2NV; 01-12-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2005
JdMsPark009

Hey we have the contract with lacavalier I can get you a great deal on shipping like 5 buck for a whole door shipped to your place but I think they only have body parts no engine and dif try pintendre auto in Quebec we have the contract withthem as well and they ship engines and tranny all the time through us
Old 01-13-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Man what I hate is that I see they have a Sir but they will not sell you the rear brakes ...That pissed me off...
Old 01-13-2005

Tofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by _Viper_
Man what I hate is that I see they have a Sir but they will not sell you the rear brakes ...That pissed me off...
Are you talking about doing the rear disk conversion? Like changing your drums to disks? Cause if you are talk to Julian...he has it done. Also you can talk to Jim
Old 01-13-2005
Ask me about your mom.

AH!

I'm sittin on the fence again. With the number of parts I'll have to end up buying, I'd be in better shape to get a full/front clip. ***.

like, redoing the pedals from an auto to a manual is gonna be a big pain in the butt. Sure, the STi engine has a reinforced block which is semi-closed, and is a much better platform to start with...but if I can't get rolling without spending an additional shytload of moneys, I might be better off going USDM engine for the time being.

gar. frustration. time to hunt down some clips and price them out. research is fun and all, but hunting down engines is tough work.

oh, and for car parts: www.car-part.com has a much better searchable database.
Old 01-13-2005

Thanks for the information Jimmy boi!
Old 01-13-2005
Back from the dead

Liro is an unknown quantity at this point
try and be patient...you dont wanna pour your heart and money into a project only to have to settle for anything less that what you REALLY want...even if it takes time...take a break from it....it just want you to end up with the car you intended to build....
Old 01-13-2005
Ask me about your mom.

yeah, exerting patience isn't one of my strong points. ggrrrr

but, i've contacted three different people in the states (two in cali, one in texas) and they're on the hunt for me.

I might call fourstar motorsports back and see if they can also source me a full clip, instead of the 'drivetrain' combo. ultimately, i need a clip. screw just the drivetrain...i can upgrade that over time.

i need to NOT spazz out, and get a clip. If I don't get a clip, someone please smack me square in the nads.
Old 01-13-2005
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
yeah, exerting patience isn't one of my strong points. ggrrrr

but, i've contacted three different people in the states (two in cali, one in texas) and they're on the hunt for me.

I might call fourstar motorsports back and see if they can also source me a full clip, instead of the 'drivetrain' combo. ultimately, i need a clip. screw just the drivetrain...i can upgrade that over time.

i need to NOT spazz out, and get a clip. If I don't get a clip, someone please smack me square in the nads.

::Kicks JIM square in NADS::
Old 01-13-2005
Back from the dead

Liro is an unknown quantity at this point
at least you got mike lookin out for ya.....

seriously though, dont end up choosing something you'll regret in the long run...keep thinking long run!
Old 01-13-2005
Banned

williewrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm. This sounds cool doesn't matter what you do....after all its a Subaru. If you get 280 hp that will be sweet, if not, its easy to upgrade along the way. Good luck and have fun in any choice or direction you choose-and keep us posted.

BTW, have you been having drifting this winter? I love this shnit with AWD. I have seen a few open parking lots with lots of fresh snow, and I just can never resist.

Willie
Old 01-13-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tofast4me
Are you talking about doing the rear disk conversion? Like changing your drums to disks? Cause if you are talk to Julian...he has it done. Also you can talk to Jim
Kool id love to do it but I would want it to be like the factory with the proprtioning valve etc etc ....

Ill ask when the time comes its at least 400 to do it

Quick Reply: Project Seafoam (Jim's GC8 WRX conversion)