Archive - Wanted Parts (WTB's) Let everyone know what parts you want to buy (WTB) and members will respond to your request. Include details of the correct application (DX or EX, 7th or 8th generation)

2002 Civic SI 2.0 cams

Old 11-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsk228 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic SI 2.0 cams

I am in need of both OEM intake and exhaust cams for a 2002 Civic Si 2.0l. My exhaust cyl 2 cam lobe has started to gall and is cause random misfire codes. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Civic SI 2.0 cams

Any dealer can get them, I'd bet.

You will need the rocker arms that go on each of the damaged lobes. The roller wheel has corresponding wear that will eat the new cam in short order.
Old 11-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsk228 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I totally agree with replacing rocker that live rode on. I am a GM tech so that part isn't the hard part. I wanted to replace them cheap. Where else could I go to see if some has swapped out the stock cams for performance cams. These forums are the best place to go. If nothing pops up then I am gonna look for a loaded head.

I received this car as a gift from a friend. I am not looking to put a whole bunch of money in it. It has 174k on it. So I might as well do the HG if I have to remove the chain anyways. The most cost effective way along with most reliable way. Would be to replace the whole cyl head. Inspect the lower end and proceed from there.

I am sure the car would be happy with new valves, VS, guides, HG ect. So that's where I'm at with this whole deal.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at the Majestic site, $308 each for the cams. Ouch. Retail is even higher.

Where I'm at, none of the K engines (2.0/2.4) have issues with head gaskets that I have seen thus far. I would just do the cam(s) and chain set if it were me.

FWIW, (I think this but cannot prove this) the VERY few Honda engines I have been into with cam lobe problems also had a lifetime of spotty oil changes with questionable oil (Walmart crowd).
In fact, I remember one (05+ Odyssey 3.5L) that had all the wear on the CLOSE side of the lobe, not the OPEN side. Odd, IMO. Only complaint was odd ticking that wasn't cured with valve adjustment.
Could have been poor heat treatment? IDK.

Oil change issues: Ditto for timing chain stretch and jump problems on the rest of the engines. Regular LOF customers at the shop don't seem to have timing chain problems, but the Jizzylube crowd does.