Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Boost controller?

which is the best (or at least a respectable) boost controller ... ? ;x
Old 06-19-2003
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
That depends on how much boost you plan on running? For low boost levels (10psi and under) theres realy no point in buy an expensive electronic boost controller. You'd be better off buying a $129 turbo XS high performance manual boost controller. Thats the one I ordered.

heres a pic from turbo XS's website

Here's what they have to say about it:

Designed for those who want the ability to radically increase their boost levels 1 to 30 psi above stock, but don’t want to pay hundreds of dollars to do it. The TurboXS High Performance Boost Controller (HPBC) is the right choice for simple, accurate and reliable high level boost control.

"When it came time for a boost controller Doug's Dynopower's Doug Derby chose the TurboXS HPBC manual unit. It's ease of adjustment, ability to hold boost levels rock solid and its budget friendly price were prime attractions." - turbo & High-Tech Performance, Mar 2002

Accurate Boost Control
The HPBC has two (2) boost control mechanisms built into it. One is a ball and spring mechanism for large and coarse boost pressure increases and the other is a bleed valve system for precise boost pressure setting. The ball and spring mechanism keeps pressure out of the wastegate until the preset boost level is reached, significantly reducing wastegate creep and providing quicker turbo spool up. Boost is adjusted with the simple turn of the screws using the included 2mm hex key.

"Once dialed in, one turn of the adjuster really does increase the boost 1 psi. It doesn't get much more straight forward than that." - turbo & High-Tech Performance, Mar 2002

Kit Includes:
High Performance Boost Controller
6mm vacuum / pressure hose
Mounting Bracket
12mm hose clamps
2mm Hex Key
Quick & Easy to Install
Installs as easily as our Standard Boost Controller: Simply cut the waste gate pressure hose and insert the supply pressure hose onto the brass nipple of the boost controller. Insert the waste gate supply hose onto the blue colored nipple. Secure the hoses with hose clamps. The Boost Controller can be mounted with included mounting bracket.
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

SiN 808 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd like to do adjustments in my car, what would be a good boost control for my application?
You know how it is...your cruis'in the streets and someone pulls up on ya and revs you out...I would like to change my boost from daily driving to race right then and there
Any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2003
SuperMODrizd
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
apexi AVC-R, anything by greddy and anything by hks, anything by blitz
Old 06-21-2003
Registered!!

Thankz!!! i'll check those out...I heard the Apexi is the best...i'll figure it out....
Old 06-21-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
I have the GReddy PRofec E01, but I also use it to control the E-manage. But I think any of GReddy's Profec series would be pretty good for electronic in-car.
Old 06-22-2003
LJ
Fernando The Donkey Lover

LJ is an unknown quantity at this point
the greddy doesnt hold steady boost (coming from my supra friends) .
here is what he said exactly

GReddy Profec B is trash over 20psi, it won't hold it stable. I personally have it and hate it because of it's unrelability.

A'pexi AVC-R is just a boat load of fun to change your boost settings.

My vote goes to HKS EVC EZII or their new EVC 5/Pro unit.

The EVC Pro/5 is the exact same as EZII except it comes with the screen.

HKS products offer the best quality over GReddy, Blitz, and A'pexi.

If you can get your hands on an old HKS EVC EZ the original, it is also an outstanding controller to hold your boost steady and in excess of 30psi.

HKS>greddy

MBC's dont hold steady boost in cold weather, you get hella boost creep, like flucuation of like 3-5 psi
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

APEXI
GREDDY
HKS

if I get any of these do I still need to get a boost gauge or will it show me real time boost readings on their screens.... this might be a stupid question dam!