Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

intake swap have specific questions to ask.

Old 03-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deadlyshaddow is an unknown quantity at this point
intake swap have specific questions to ask.

Okay wanna swap the intake on my d17a1 block with d17a2 head in my 02 ex coup. I'm looking into doing turbo later maybe depends on how much I get out of my accident money. I might do the heavy hell job of an accord v6 swap. Anyways what all o
Do I need to do the swap to the d16y8 intake manifold.

I see people cutting the intake mounting plate off and welding on the egr plate to the manifold to use the d17 stock fuel rail and injectors. Then people drilling out holes on the d16 intake to fit the d17 studs and using all the d16 injectors and crap on the intake.

My questions are:
1. Is the d16y8 intake manifold the easiest swap, or is there an easier one.

2. Is it better to weld the egr plate to the mani to use the stock crap, or drill out the holes bigger to use the d16y8 hardware.

3. If I use just the d16 intake mani and hardware will the stock fuel system work with mine, or will I need to do some adapting.

4. If using the d16 intake mani and hardware will my vtec still work without the egr system in.(I have the thermostat housing center without the egr valve on it factory)

5. Does it help fuel millage/HP any where. I know it's mainly for turbo builds.

6. Will my stock throttle body work with the d16 intake mani, probably need a few mods I ain't afraid of that.

Any other concerns please say
Old 03-16-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: intake swap have specific questions to ask.

just save up your money and get a kswap. our d17 were never made to be a performer and the amount of money you put into it for a turbo/d16/whatever will be way more than just doing a k swap.
Old 03-16-2013
Registered!!

If I do a motor swap it'll be a v6 accord motor. Go big or go home. I'm more in the process of making a new style intake piping but need the top mount throttle body to go away to make the piping work. Plus trust aluminum more then plastic. I already had one intake crack and leak I don't want another leak. Took me forever to figure that it was cracked. Wasn't thinking it would crack haha.
Old 03-17-2013
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i'm not sure you're listing the right parts.

you kept saying intake then intake manifold.

why would you use the d16 manifold? are you thinking about the d16 throttle body?

just confused as to what exactly you mean beacause the way it's written might mean something else.

incase you're not sure the intake is the tube and box which holds your air filter, under that box is the throttle body and under the throttle body is the intake manifold.
Old 03-17-2013
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

1. Is the d16y8 intake manifold the easiest swap, or is there an easier one.

D16y8 is the only one you should consider. No one has done any other manifold swap on the d17

2. Is it better to weld the egr plate to the mani to use the stock crap, or drill out the holes bigger to use the d16y8 hardware.

It's easier to weld on the plate. You'll need to bring it to a shop that welds aluminum. If you don't want to do that, you should probably use the d16 fuel rail, and idk what injectors you would have to run

3. If I use just the d16 intake mani and hardware will the stock fuel system work with mine, or will I need to do some adapting.

The d16 fuel rail uses a banjo fitting to supply the fuel. Ours uses a quick disconnect. You could just buy a banjo fitting and put the rubber feed line on the end. Easy. The injectors are most likely high impedance. Measure across the terminals with a multimeter. If the ohm readout is 2-3 ohms, it's low impedance, won't work. If its 12 ohms, it's high impedance, and should work (don't quote me on that though)

EDIT: the injectors will also need to have the same flow rate as d17 injectors unless you are running a programmable ecu

4. If using the d16 intake mani and hardware will my vtec still work without the egr system in.(I have the thermostat housing center without the egr valve on it factory)

I don't have egr, don't know

5. Does it help fuel millage/HP any where. I know it's mainly for turbo builds.

Don't know either

6. Will my stock throttle body work with the d16 intake mani, probably need a few mods I ain't afraid of that.

No it won't work
Old 03-17-2013
Registered!!

Will a the crap connected to the throttle body, like throttle position sensor, iac valve and all adapt to my computer or do I need to switch parts around on the throttle bodies.

If I say intake I ment intake mani, sorry for the confusion. I've been a mechanic for 4yrs and working on cars before that for 6 more yrs. So I know motors perty well