Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Crower cams

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dawgs6307 is an unknown quantity at this point
Crower cams

Has anybody tried the stage 2 crower cam for the d17a2?
Old 08-25-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Re: Crower cams

I will bump this thread because I have the same curiosity!

I've seen plenty of youtube videos with Stage 2 D17s, but none of them give you an idea of how they actually preform and effect other parts of the engine...
Old 08-26-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people don't go straight for a stage 2 cam unless they're planning a serious or semi-serious engine build. Reason being (at least my speculation) is that you need engine management with a stage 2 cam, the EMS of choice being the $1000+ kpro, AND you need the $300 valve spring/retainer set to go with it. Suddenly, a $360 cam turns into a $1660 (plus shipping and labor/tuning) upgrade.

At least with the stage 1 cam, you can up and drop it in and be on your merry way after a few hours of being under your hood.
Old 08-26-2012
Registered!!

Rejin267 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been doing a lot of research and am still confused on quite a bit of things myself. i was looking into the crower cams and the stage 1 was listed as something to use for a NA vehicle

http://www.crower.com/camshafts/civi...-camshaft.html

while the stage 2 was listed as something to get for a boosted vehicle

http://www.crower.com/camshafts/civi...-camshaft.html

so i was wondering if that meant that if i am gonna boost my car do i need to get a stage 2 and since boosting your car means you're gonna have to get k-pro anyway might as well save up to have it all done at once right?
Old 08-26-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

There's a stage 1, stage 2 turbo, stage 2 n/a, and a stage 3 cam.. You can very well drop in a stage 2 or 3 for N/A applications

http://www.crower.com/civic-ex-d17a2...-camshaft.html
Old 08-26-2012
Administrator
Administrator

found this on another forum. For the stage 2, the figure assumes you have a full exhaust system: header, high flow cat, cat-back exhaust. Also assumes proper tuning with kpro. From the stock whp, looks like it assumes an auto tranny, too

Stock civic= 95whp
intake + header + exhaust = 105ish whp
stage 1 + intake + header + exhaust + stock ecu = 125ish whp
all of the above + kpro = ? maybe 130-135

When doing stage 1 you'll want to do a full headerback exhaust. Otherwise the car just can't breath and the backpressure will really hurt you. It will run fine tho if you just drop it in with nothing else and you'll notice a healthy gain.

stage 2 will "run" without kpro but it will run like ****

stage 2 + i/h/e + kpro = 150ish whp @8000rpm NEEDS VALVE SPRINGS

Stage 3- falls on its face NA with stock compression but somehow idles smoothly. nuff said.
Old 08-26-2012
Registered!!

are you still able to boost your ride but only use stage 1 cams though? and is their a limitation on the psi?
Old 08-26-2012
Administrator
Administrator

From my understanding, based on the words of a former member here, he said that with a stock cam, he was only able to top out at something like 260whp, regardless of how much boost he threw at it. As soon as he dropped in a stage 3 cam, he instantly jumped to something like 330-340whp, on 18psi. That engine went on to produce 489whp at 31psi.

edit: Looking at his thread on another forum, looks like I had my numbers right: he went from 260whp to 335whp with a cam and springs/retainers alone.
Old 08-26-2012
Registered!!

that's quite a significant jump isn't stage 3 extremely aggressive and not exactly meant for a daily driver? and also can you do a stage 1 cam with a turbo or do you have to go to stage 2 as the crower website seems to insist? also is stage 1 stock or is it above stock?
Old 08-26-2012
Administrator
Administrator

stage 1 is above stock. on a D17A2 with i/h/e, it produced about 125whp from a previous 110. Dyno sheet is somewhere lurking the forum.. lol

Also, Andy (the beast civic in question) said that his car was extremely streetable with the stage 3 cam.

Found this on youtube. Can't really hear a difference.. unlike when someone drops a crazy cam in an evo or something and they end up with a mean *** lopey idle.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JMMUy2ptPg[/youtube]

edit: here's one of a dude gunning it with a stage 3 cam
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhcZU30l74[/youtube]