Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Front mount intercooler to JRSC

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HoudinInCleats is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Front mount intercooler to JRSC

Okay guys here is what I got.

I got a 2001 honda civic ex coupe. I also have me a K20a2 engine and JRSC. I want to know if anybody would know how to connect a front mount intercooler to my JRSC. Don't say it can't be done because I had a friend who did it but he only ran 4 psi and it was connected to a small black anodoized intercooler. Help me please.
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: Front mount intercooler to JRSC

You dont need a intercooler with the JRSC. I know tons of people that have a JRSC-r with 10 psi and not running one. The only thing else they are running is the water/meth to help cool it down alittle.
Old 10-02-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

all you'd need would be an intercooler and plumbing for it, no?
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

@xRiCeBoYx you see where I'm going with this. I know I need a nice some what small intercooler that will be able to handle 10psi everyday. My goal is also to try and tuck the intercooler away so that nobody can see it if it can fit being away.
Old 10-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

how about using a small VW GTI OEM side-mount from a 1.8T or TDI if you wanna keep it hidden?

(this is an aftermarket one that's slightly larger than an OEM one)

of course, you'd need all custom plumbing for it, but you would anyways for what you want to do.
I don't exactly know how big it is, but I think you may be able to tuck it in behind your bumper. You'd need to direct airflow toward it to make to work effectively though. I can only imagine routing the plumbing is going to be the not-so-fun part of doing that setup. If you get an actual front mount, you'll have more room to mess with plumbing.
I'm sure that whatever setup you go with, it should be able to handle the boost you put through it. The supercharger isn't going to create heat like a turbo, so that's why you don't necessarily need to put an intercooler on a supercharger, but you just wanna make it, well, more efficient, I guess.

Just keep in mind that with everything I'm saying, it's all theoretical. I have no personal experience with superchargers, I'm just going off of stuff I've read.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-02-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Wow man thanks a lot for all the information. So that intercooler could handle 10 psi? I know its gonna be pain for the plumbing is gonn be a pain in the *** but i can deal with it. I just wanna run a intercooler because it would be more efficient to keep it cooler.
Old 10-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

The stock boost level on a 1.8T AWP engine is 11.6psi, and I'm pretty sure it can handle higher than that. I was searching around and the v-dub guys were saying they can safely run 23psi on their stock engines

source: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...66114#29936681

edit: I wonder, if you're worried about not being able to get airflow toward it to actually cool off the air going through the intercooler, if you strapped a slim pusher or puller radiator fan to it to supply airflow..

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-02-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Alright cool. So I'm definetly going with forge's side mount intercooler. And yes that was gonna be next question/concern. Since its not gonna be a front mount intercooler where those get direct air flow hitting it. How would i make it work since I'm gonna hide/tuck away my side mount?

And again thanks alot for the information. i asked this question on other fourms and i got no good information.
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

If you side mount the intercooler then it will get no airflow unless it is like right near the grill area and you have no grill so that more airflow could get into the bay area. But like I said you will not need an intercooler with a supercharger. And you can run it daily without one to.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Yeah well I'm still gonna run one for challenge and because it will be more efficient and keep the temperature down a little more. Rather then be like everybody else and just slap a CAI on the blower.
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by HoudinInCleats
Yeah well I'm still gonna run one for challenge and because it will be more efficient and keep the temperature down a little more. Rather then be like everybody else and just slap a CAI on the blower.
Just run the water/meth combo with the supercharger, you will not have to worry bout the intercooler especially since it will be side mounted and really will not be of any real good cause it is getting no air flow.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

It will actually be less efficient to run and Intercooler on a JRSC. Since you are now blocking the air path to the supercharger the supercharge/engine will have to work x amount harder in order to produce the same results.

also intercooler will not be holding boost at all unless you were running a twincharger setup which is uber rare, and your not. you would only be pulling vacuum through the intercooler. cause the JRSC is a roots type charger that basically replaces your intake mani. if you could place it between the super charger and the head you kill of a small amount of heat that would come from the friction developed by the charger. but you can't stick anything there.

an intercooler on a supercharger is good for a rotrex style supercharger (one that looks like a turbo) that is siting right above or below a major heat source like the exhaust. cause the air has gotten hot from the ambient heat in the engine bay and it still needs to travel a distance before it reaches the intake mani. but really the supercharger does not deliver enough heat to cause problems.

so I hate to say this but your idea is basically making a very inefficient cold air intake that is super long and does not flow
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

Thanks for clearing that up for him bomerman. I have never seen an intercooler on a supercharger unless it was like the on like you said that looks like a turbo but its a supercharger and it was on a s2k.

Run the water/meth combo like I told you and you will be perfectly fine and the water/meth combo will also bump up your hp to.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for all the info but i've seen it done and when my friends car got dyno'd he made 320+ hp to the front wheels with a front mount intercooler.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah if he sticks an intercooler on it, it will be like some has there hand over the throttle body and is only letting in the air that slips through their fingers instead of taking their hand off and letting it breathe
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Once again thanks for the info but I know what I'm doing. Numbers don't lie. I know its gonna be hella work but i could care less.
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

Thanks for all the info but i've seen it done and when my friends car got dyno'd he made 320+ hp to the front wheels with a front mount intercooler.
You will be damn lucky to be hitting 320 whp off 10 psi with JRSC-r on the k20a2. There is many people I know running k20a2 with JRSC 10 psi with 4.0" pulley and running water/meth combo with tune and only running 281 whp.

Once again thanks for the info but I know what I'm doing. Numbers don't lie. I know its gonna be hella work but i could care less.
Obviously you dont know what you are doing since you are not listening to 2 very good advisors on this site.

Last edited by 02civicsi02; 10-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Well I saw it with my two eyes. 320 plus on 10 psi with a front mount intercooler.
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

Well I saw it with my two eyes. 320 plus on 10 psi with a front mount intercooler.
Well that dyno must be off terribly to say 320 whp. Unless he has other things done to it like internal wise.
Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

Obviously not

numbers what numbers?

numbers for heat exchange? there is no heat

numbers for pressure? there is no positive pressure on that side only vacuum

numbers for a derivative based on heat increase due to increasing pressure of boost? Boost will never hit the intercooler, so there is no boost and there is no heat, and there is no heat generated by boost or imaginary boost.

I don't think you seem to understand that you only hit boost with that type of blower at the intake ports on the head. you don't hit anywhere else on the setup. you are in vacuum on the whole rest of the setup.

you are taking a giant vacuum cleaner and putting your hand over it. and what happens when you do that the vacuum cleaner gets louder gets hotter and doesn't suck up anything cause your hand is over it.

you are killing what fluid dynamics you have left you will kill your top end probably loose at least a 100 rpm, 300 rpm at most but that's a lot.

you might gain a little tq due to the extra load on the engine but you will loose hp

since it is going to have to work harder to suck in that air, you will cook the oil sooner and the head will got hotter and it will heat soak your supercharger quicker. defeating all that you worked for.

you go pull up on k-pro what your what your water temp is and after you do this it will probably be at least 2-3 degrees higher. If you do a from mount IC your are looking at least 10 to 15 degrees higher cause your are blocking all the outside air flow over the engine.

the only way you will get the intake air temp to drop with out raising the engine temp is to pull off the front bumper and hood and drive around like that or do something like meth injection otherwise you are making your car more inefficient

so think about it go run your number oh wait you don't have numbers cause there are none and you let me know what you come up with
Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

oh and dyno's vary and let me ask you are you going to go to the guy that gives you real numbers or are you going to go to the guy that will give an extra 20 hp. better numbers means more business

I have seen 120 on a stock d17 on a dyno before yeah I think I've made my point
Old 10-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of eff'd up dynos..

I have a dyno sheet of my car making 143.7whp @2.5psi with 594.9ft-lbs torque.
Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

remmick69 will become famous soon enough

A turbo PUSHES hot air through a INTERCOOLER to cool the air down and in to the engine....
JRSC SUCKS AIR into the engine through A filter...

Your idea is like having a CAI with an INTERCOOLER in between?? makes no sense...
Just buy the cheap Intercooler CAI style thing off ebay and call it aday..LMAO
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arosp...Q5fAccessories

This sums up just about everything your trying to do...lmao
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...item2eaf46e9a4

Last edited by remmick69; 10-03-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Speaking of eff'd up dynos..

I have a dyno sheet of my car making 143.7whp @2.5psi with 594.9ft-lbs torque.

Lol I have had that happen before they need hit the computer to use the corrected sae method other wise you get a million tq I think I hit 800 tq once
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

shwoogie420 is an unknown quantity at this point

if he is making that with a front mount on a jrsc then he should take off the front mount and run it again...prob make more power b/c a front mount is retarded on that setup....try breathing with a straw in your mouth instead of your mouth wide open and see how you like it..lol
Old 10-06-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i say if you want colder air in that cramped engine bay just put a functional hood scoop over the intake of the supercharger. have a removable cup that lets only the air from outside into the intake when you race it. then remove the cup and put a plug in the scoop when you drive it in normal conditions or when it's wet out. cold, cheap and easy to install.
Old 10-07-2010
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

which JRSC are you running for your car? the ep3 or the RSX one?

The RSX guys have developed an aftercooler that can be placed on the bottom of the charger itself and has allowed them to run beyond 11 psi. without any sort of cooling, anything above 10psi will create too much heat for the charger.

No one as of yet has developed an aftercooler for the EP3 specific JRSC due to the fact that it sits vertically rather than horizontally like the RSX one.
Old 10-07-2010
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

stupid site and double posting.

Last edited by D5cIvIc; 10-07-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

flipsx3 is an unknown quantity at this point

just run water injection will work better than a intercooler when tuned correctly
Old 12-12-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

nice way of bumping an old thread flip. lol