Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Andy was right! It was my headgasket!

Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Andy was right! It was my headgasket!

Don't mean to stroke your ego bro, but you nailed it....

Head is off to get milled this time.

Old 06-12-2008
Turbo Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Andy was right! It was my headgasket!

Dude, my ego isn't big. I just like to talk cars, esp. mechanics. And I have had every symptom you can imagine. But seriously, you ****ers need to listen to me when you're having problems.

When you put it back together, make sure you retorque to 80 ft/lbs and find a good tuner. Don't boost at all until you do.
Old 06-12-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Naw. My advice still stands. Never listen to Andy, he has no idea what he's talking about...

I've seen that exact thing on so many headgaskets on my car it makes me sick. I hate changing HGs. Check the block to make sure it's true as well.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andyman97
Dude, my ego isn't big. I just like to talk cars, esp. mechanics. And I have had every symptom you can imagine. But seriously, you ****ers need to listen to me when you're having problems.

When you put it back together, make sure you retorque to 80 ft/lbs and find a good tuner. Don't boost at all until you do.
It's a saying Vato, it doesn't mean you have an ego. We all have ego's. DUH!

The car has a good tune. Joe at Locash racing is one of the best Honda tuners around.

I had to remove the studs too. How the hell do I torque those down? Should I just turn them with an allen head until tight? The actually nuts I can tighten in sequence to 80lbs, that part is easy enough.

Tell me why the gasket is getting eaten up on the intake side. Even the pistons are clean in the back.
Old 06-12-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

One of two things:
Detonation
Head lift from power; not enough torque on the studs

Yeah, just hit the studs with an allen key until they won't turn anymore and torque in sequence to 80. Make sure you use moly lube on the stud threads on both ends.

Pistons are clean because coolant is steam cleaning them, lol.

I don't know **** about your setup. Fuel system is important, your pump could be fading, it could be that your injector duty cycle is too high and they're starting to go. It could be that Joe isn't being thorough enough on your tune and your timing is advanced too much in the upper rpms. This isn't a problem I can likely diagnose over the net. You need to know what's going on with your ****.

Last edited by andyman97; 06-12-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

I'll be the first to admit that I'm running a stock fuel setup minus those SRT injectors. However, others have done it successfully. Not sure why it's killing me.

Those injectors are huge how are they maxing duty cycle?

**** it, I want a G35. lol
Old 06-12-2008
Turbo Guru

Because your stock fuel pump sucks fat ****ing ***** and can't support enough fuel flow to feed the injectors, holy ****, no wonder you're having problems. Successfully? I haven't seen anyone much over 200 whp with a stock pump, that's one of the first upgrades you should do.

How are you maxing duty cycle? Because your pump isn't keeping the volume needed for the injectors to compensate and keep your afr's where they need to be. Hence, your tuner is cranking your injectors up, trying to compensate the only way he can and it's maxing them....

Don't be mad at the car, it isn't the poor car's fault you didn't do the necessary fuel upgrades, lol. This is exactly what is meant when you talk about reliability in a boosted car, you have to have the necessary mods to support the power you're trying to make.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

I'm only at 175WHP and I'm happy with it. So just to clarify, I need to upgrade my fuel system just to run 175WHP?
Old 06-12-2008
Turbo Guru

I would do at minimum, a pump, yes.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

Ok I just wanted to hear you say it.

Can I just pick up a Walbro without the return conversion?

Last edited by Rufus; 06-12-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you have for fuel management? If you have the PCS XFC with the fuel pump kit you can increase the fuel pressure and this will help tuning.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

I have Kpro and I have adjusted fuel before. I actually had to for idle. Andy's thought process is that the pump can't hang though. Hell a Walbro is $100 shipped. I have no problem with that, but if it takes another $500 to get this thing back to being safe it's going up for sale and turning into a down payment for a white G35 coupe on some black 19's with a giant lip.
Old 06-12-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

I bet money you'll be spending more than $500 for the rest of the year. It's turbo though doesn't this come with the territory? Good luck with the setup though I forgot you had kpro.. get that walbro though.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

I just did some research. I can't use the stock FPR. Even if I can it sounds like it doesn't change anything. So how much is this damn FPR?

This car is pretty reliable minus this one issue.

Isn't Foos running a stock pump still?

Last edited by Rufus; 06-12-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2008
Turbo Guru

No way, he isn't on a stock pump at 270 whp, no possibility a stock pump would handle that.

I'm not saying that the pump is certainly your issue but it definitely isn't helping. You can run the stock regulator, nothing wrong with it. If you're happy with 175 whp, just find the place you're having issues. Don't you have a wideband? You have to keep an eye on it and make sure you can keep up with fuel demands....
Old 06-12-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

I remember in Clint's build thread that he changed the fuel pump.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

Ah I saw an old post. My point is that if I wanna stay at or under 200whp is a FPR necassary or can I just stick with a returnless fuel setup and a Walbro?

I need this o2 setup immediately.
Old 06-12-2008
Turbo Guru

**** the o2, turn that **** off. No, you don't need an fpr. I made about 250 whp on 440's with no return.
Old 06-12-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andyman97
**** the o2, turn that **** off. No, you don't need an fpr. I made about 250 whp on 440's with no return.
was that reliable andy? i wanna make ~250 with 550cc and u said i should go return line and atleast 650cc injectors ?
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

Hey an o2 would at least tell if I'm having fuel problems.

Just dropped off the head for a mill and valve job.
Old 06-12-2008
Turbo Guru

I have 675's for sale....
Sure, use a wideband but scrap the oem ones, they suck.
Old 06-12-2008
Premium Member

Well that sucks the 05 wideband was 100 or something
Old 06-13-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

andy will u give me a good deal on the injectors .. the 675cc .. what are they? how much? pm me bro , u kno i need em
Old 06-13-2008
Turbo Guru

250+ shipping man. The thread is conveniently located in my sig.
Old 06-14-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'm running a Walbro on the stock FPR and returnless setup. It's been fine, but I'm changing the setup when I get back on the 23rd to an FPR and return setup.
Old 06-18-2008
Turbo Guru

Yeah, fittings are a pita. I won't skimp on fuel hose again
****ing jeg's proflo 250 dry rotted on my ***. Time for the aeroqup, real deal!