Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Help- Built engine makes less power than before (dyno graph)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008
Turbo Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help- Built engine makes less power than before (dyno graph)

If that was the case, it's not the norm.
Old 06-13-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Well its not the norm I think because i modded the stock fpr LOL. and most people arent willing to do that type of thing.
Old 06-13-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

what happens if u don't go returnline and are going for big power and just tune with 750cc and kpro ? i know pressure can increase ... but if it hasn't already ..it won't randomly would it?
Old 06-13-2008
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the stock fuel pressure is 43 psi so if you are forcing 15 psi into the intake manifold the boost works against the fuel pressure because remember the pump has to push fuel through the injectors and into the manifold to go with the boost. So you really only have 28 psi of fuel pressure which isnt nearly enouph. thats why everyone uses a 1:1 reglator which would bring it to 58 psi under boost. I just eliminated having to run a return line. I just needed a boost ref line going to the tank which I ran through my interior so it was hidden.
Old 06-13-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

well for all practical purposes the leaner the more HP he will make. ASSuming the tuner wasnt letting it detonate while he tuned it. It just seems like something else is wrong. If i were to guess timing may be off(cam or ignition)???? I guess my first question is what all was changed during the rebuild other than injectors and pistons? As for the must have standalone argument ehhh ... save that for a rainy day....... As far as the rising rate FPR it is true they are the way to go in most cases. In my case i tuned mine @ 7psi without the boost reference at all. Mine in fact is capped with out a vacuum line hooked up. Any fuel management is only as good as the person setting it up. Or in my case only as good as the amount of time spent setting it up.
Old 06-14-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

To a point lean is mean(and very dangerous), until you have severe detonation, then the motor fights itself. Think about it, the pre-ignition is the reason why you bend/throw rods, hammer the bearings out, break ring lands, etc..
Old 06-15-2008
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
To a point lean is mean(and very dangerous), until you have severe detonation, then the motor fights itself. Think about it, the pre-ignition is the reason why you bend/throw rods, hammer the bearings out, break ring lands, etc..
true, but like i said assuming he wasnt getting any detonation.
Old 06-15-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Well who knows what this tuner is doing, hehe. Most of the places Ive been to have no idea about tuning obd2 piggy-back systems and the ones that do want nothing to do with them at boost levels this high. I think going k pro tuned at a hondata certified shop would probably cure this situation. I'd go through the car thoroughly before doing so to make sure everything was up to par.
Old 06-15-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
Well who knows what this tuner is doing, hehe. Most of the places Ive been to have no idea about tuning obd2 piggy-back systems and the ones that do want nothing to do with them at boost levels this high. I think going k pro tuned at a hondata certified shop would probably cure this situation. I'd go through the car thoroughly before doing so to make sure everything was up to par.

Now if only people would listen...
Old 06-17-2008
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

Well I am pretty sure something else is the issue here (the A/F is fine). I haven’t been driving the car lately and have been keeping an eye on the stats just to monitor that nothing is out of line. Next month I want to schedule time with a different tuner just to see what we might be able to do differently and get some input on this from another source and see what he says about the fuel problem or if there is one.

IT just seems to me that with those injectors, even with the stock fuel pump, that i should be able to put down no less than 200whp.

The car itself has been running great - minus any respectable power.

Last edited by drunkenmagnum; 06-17-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andyman97

Now if only people would listen...
i listen i listen i won't do it unless i do it right
Old 06-17-2008
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

My installer said the SRT-4 injectors went in without a issue but everyone else has had to mod there clips it seems to make them work. is it possible they could have been installed incorrectly or might i need a resistor box?

Dont think this is an issue, just throwing it out there.
Old 06-17-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

No, SRT-4 injectors are high impedance just like the stock D17 and RSX ones, so you don't need a resistor box. The stock Honda clips will 'fit' the SRT-4 injectors, they just don't lock in firmly to make a secure connection. Basically they could pop off if you went over a big bump or something to jar the engine enough to pop a clip, but that doesn't sound like your issue.
Old 06-17-2008
Premium Member

the way the boost drops off as the RPM and power increases, is that normal? havent found any real leaks but i want to make sure some is not creeping out.
Old 06-17-2008

Definitely sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere. Stock intake mani may be leaking. The rumor is that it's not guaranteed to much good over 12psi. 15psi could have caused a small breach and you now leak pressure from it. All you silcone joints are good? Using T-clamps or standard worm-clamps?

If your turbo has a pressure port on it, it may be worth hooking a boost gauge up to it and comparing the pressure drop between the compressor and what's registering at the IM. Might help pinpoint a leak.
Old 06-17-2008
Turbo Guru

Stock intake? For real? Holy ****, dude....
Seriously, I'm surprised this is the first of problems you've seen. Consider yourself lucky your motor is still in tact. You need to start from scratch and do **** right....

Last edited by andyman97; 06-17-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2008
Premium Member

I was actually trying to blow the stock intake mani and it held 18PSI LOL. maybe I got a freak one... I wouldnt trust it long term tho haha.
Old 06-18-2008
Premium Member

Yes I have the Stock IM on there and no I am not changeing it out until I get more cash. It should hold 12psi.

I think i may be dumping too much methanol in there and I ned to back that off some. I know it took you a few Engines before you got yours right too Andy and only through trial and error did you finally get one right that makes incredable power. I am not trying to break records but 90% of the people that boost on here have stock IM's and only a small handfull have had issues. I have already backed the boost down and i will have it so the Methanol comes in @ 12psi instead of 9-10 to prevent "soaking"
Old 06-18-2008
Turbo Guru

Lol, I had to learn on my own. I didn't have anyone who knew **** to give me advice. But it's whatever. Do what you want, but there's a reason you're making no power. So yeah, don't listen and keep being cheap. Piggyback & stock im FTL.

Last edited by andyman97; 06-18-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

PICKED UP MY KPRO andy !!! cam gear ordered for 180 from hondata dealer in toronto ... as of intake manifold , im going with the d16y8 till next yr when i go EL style manifold, bigger turbo, and JDM fabtech 400 ftmfw -- am i doing things properly andy??my car is going in 2 weeks .. drunkenmagnum ...u don't need much money to change ur IM man ... the d16 will run u around 150 max and its good for 250-300 .. might be a lil restrictive but so is the turbo anyway and that can be upgraded next yr, u wanna be safe first then make power.. if im restricted to 250 with a fully built d17, then im not gona be sad, i have a rocking setup that will hold 350-400 .. jus gotta get the right parts .. with another 3 grand i can get to 400 ... JDMfabtech, bigger turbo and el style mani ... the rest of my setup is 9.5/10 wit the way im plannin it ..

i chose the turbo route because of civicforums instead of a swap, so the least i can do is to listen to the pros about their advice and follow their footstep, people like andy who u said has been thru many motors and learnt, im on my first one and its pulling strong for 11 months @ 196 whp with a piggy back .. im not gona argue and think that what im doing is right wen d17 turbo beasts are telling me otherwise

Last edited by emjay; 06-18-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2008
Turbo Guru

Are you doing it right? Well you're definitely on the right path with a good computer. I mean, define what "right" means...

Upgraded fuel pump and a computer with properly sized injectors and an im that won't crack apart is all you really need to get started...
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

doing it right means doing it right, don't go big without standalone, safety, i dunno reliability, not blow head gaskets, jus do it right ... i dunno .. NO HEADACHE = doing it right to me

i have a walbro, i have kpro, im gona get bigger injectors, and im getting the d16y8 .. is there any other intake manifolds other then the jdm fabtech **** so fukin expensive

Last edited by emjay; 06-18-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2008
Turbo Guru

None that I know of. It's possible to get a performer X and see if it will fit btw the head and firewall but I'm not sure. To be honest, nobody knows what the d16 im will do on a d17 when pushed.
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

**** man im worried about my IM now .. tuner and shop said it should be good for 250-300 there are d16s out there doing that daily on that IM but **** man im still worried
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

**** man im worried about my IM now .. tuner and shop said it should be good for 250-300 there are d16s out there doing that daily on that IM but **** man im still worried
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Does KMS still make an intake mani or was that just a prototype? Either way I'm sure it won't be cheap or much cheaper than JDM fabtech.
Old 06-18-2008
Registered!!

kms ? never heard of them ? there are d16s running 400s out there ... im not too worried at all i jus got off the fone with my tuner he's like i've tuned guys out of here with 4 and some change .. the Y8 is a very strong IM
Old 06-18-2008
Turbo Guru

y8 should be fine, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Old 06-19-2008

From what I understand, the KMS intake was a piece of ****. Rufus bought one recently from a guy here and promptly sold it on Ebay after it showed up. Apparently it's just an aluminum box with some vac ports and some runners TIG'd on to it. I think it went for a final price of around $150.
Old 06-19-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Yep..I bought it off rufus.....Just the CNC flange alone is worth $150 bucks to me.......I can always have someone hack this one up & redo it or cut the flange off & start from scratch. Plus....I am in the process of having alot of it rewelded and I have already made it shine x10....I'm in the process of 1000 grit & a buffer It's almost chrome......

I see most of our flow issues in the head & camshaft....our intake/exhaust ports are so small it's ridiculous. All I really see that intake manifold for is to up the boost for a build. That box will flow plenty under alot of boost, it won't break, and it seriously looks dope all cleaned up! For $150 bucks that eliminates my $1000 need for a "good" intake manifold.....I can use that to get kpro. I'm debating wether or not to put it on now or wait until the build. It's not like I can boost anymore on my stock motor and I don't really think I'll see real gains until more boost is met.......so it might just sit pretty for motor build!

We'll see!

Quick Reply: Help- Built engine makes less power than before (dyno graph)