Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

unknown boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough
unknown boost problem

ok .. first time i've had a problem that seems to be a lil bit seroius.. my car is going to the shop and i know u boost experts are the only reason i have a safe mind. Ok... so car drives perfectly fine in vac. 14s and wat not .. it makes boost and i've only tried once. so here's my story from scratch.

Im ramping on the highway and i go to boost, and i feel choking and the engine is about to die, i look down and i see 15-16... I quickly let go and that was the end of it. I didn't blow a HG, or mess anything up .. the wideband and only the wideband told me something's wrong.. It seems like something is wrong with dumping fuel during boost.
Today my mechanic asked, are u sure it makes boost, and to answer that ... i tried to go into boost, thinking maybe it won't make it but i see it wanting to go, 1 lbs-2 lbs i see 14s so i just let go... i baby it, and i don't want to mess anything up..

another wierd story,a couple times at a drivethru, and another at a parking lot my car just turned off during idle.. it didn't jolt, just turned off.. wierd :S ... i just turned it back on and everything is fine ..

Wat do u guys think the problem is ... do u think the idle and it turning off (never happens... only twice) is related to my problem of EXTREMELY lean boosting??

Could it be tat my fuel pump is gone? i am using the stock one... the extremely cold weather?? my srt-4 injectors gone bad? spark plugs? what could it be? my tuner said maybe a corrupted map?? but im taking my car in to the shop first.. anyone have any ideas of what u think it could be? could it be seroius or is it something small that just needs to be diagnosed and fixed?

thank you very much for ur concerns
Old 02-24-2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
Re: unknown boost problem

list all mods done to the car and turbo setup
Old 02-24-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

dezod v3 kit on fully stock
bigger clamps
ARP head studs
srt4 injectors
AEM FIC - 3 hr dyno tuned/1 hr street tuned
Exedy Organic clutch
Old 02-24-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Re-upload your map. Check it. Might be fuel pump though. It's having to run harder to keep up with the demands of the turbo now so it's going to have a shorter life. No CELs?
Old 02-24-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Clint. That should have been done first. Put in a new fuel pump and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2008
Registered!!

ok my fuel pump is stock .. i haven't chekced the map yet just cuz my tuner said make sure its not hardware. and no.. i don't have a check engine light. i used to have one for my O2 sensor being unplugged, but i plugged it back and the CEL disappeared and its been gone since
Old 02-24-2008

With the map, I'm saying just re-upload the same map you are already running. Without a fuel pressure gauge in the car it's going to be hard to tell if it's the pump though unless it completely fails.
Old 02-24-2008
Registered!!

were could i get a walbro for cheap ? is ebay my best bet? ... i don't have a fuel pressure guage. my mechanic does tho so that should be fine rite?
Old 02-24-2008

So long as the problem occurs when he has it hooked up and is looking at it. Then again, pumps either work or they don't. They usually don't intermittently fail.

I got mine from summitracing.com. The install kit is worthless. Just buy a 12" piece of 3/8" fuel line and a couple hose clamps and reuse the stock strainer when you install it. Saves about $15.
Old 02-24-2008
Registered!!

i know thats what i've heard too .. that the pump either works or fails completely. If it has failed, would i still be able to drive in vac mode? i mean it never sees 13s..
Old 02-24-2008

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

on the numerous cars i have worked at in the shop. i have seen a few.. but very rarely seen a few that the pump would actully pump less pressure than it was originally started out with. Example would be when we tuned the car the psi was at 55. after a month or so the psi would be at 48.
Old 02-24-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

www.fast-turbo.com for all of your fuel needs.
Old 02-24-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

do you have an 01? some 01's were recalled because they'd turn off while idling for no apparent reason, it's a simple ecu reflash.

Last edited by skipbarber; 02-24-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

i have an 02 1.7 el.. so i guess thats rulled out.. andyman thanks for the website im gona give them a call tmrw morning for some prices.. jeez, so then if it isn't going to be my fuel pump cuz i know why would it dump enough fuel and all of a sudden it can't dump as much ... i was boosting the same amount as before... could this be software?

Last edited by emjay; 02-25-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2008
Turbo Guru

Its fuel related. Period. There are a few things that can cause this. Strain on a weak ***, oem pump, or strain on some weak ***, oem injectors. Being as you've upgragded your injectors, I wouldn't think that would be your problem but anything is possible. Start with a new pump and see what happens. You need one, anyways, period. If you don't want to destroy your motor, quit boosting on it until you replace the pump.

Before you say, but they're srt injectors, I just had to replace my 750cc injectors because they were locking up at only 55 psi of fuel pressure. I was having a similar problem, the afr's just started getting lean under boost for no apparent reason, so I took the injectors off and had them flow tested. I watched with my own eyes and by 60 psi, 3 of 4 injectors weren't spraying anything at all. So I picked up a new set of 675cc's and everything's been cool with some minor fuel adjustments.

Last edited by andyman97; 02-25-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

andyman thank you very much for that response. HELL NO I won't boost. I haven't boosted once, since i seen the 15s on the highway which was like 4-5 days ago. I will keep driving in vac mode till i get things fixed.
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

ok so today i got my Walbro installed in the tank, spark plugs were checked, did a compression test .. (read 175 in all cylinders), checked the boost line that connects to my FIC to make sure its getting the boost to dumpp the fuel but still .. nothing changed. What could my problem be ?? i thought it is the walbro but turns out it did nothing. still ssee 15s when boosting.