Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Rebuilding engine help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rebuilding engine help.

I have an 02 Civic Lx Coupe. It's slow and I hate it.

I have had lots of 93 accord coupes and always wanted an h22 but that never happened. I don't want to swap in a K but I do want to boost.

I want to rebuilt the engine since this will be my daily driver and I have heard way to many horror stories with **** breaking etc.

I'm just very confused on what I need to get to bring to a shop to install it for me. I called a shop and they told me 3500 thats including labor, new pistons, rods etc etc. basically everything so I could get 300HP or more.....

Now I just want to buy all the parts and all at once bring them to a shop to install for me.

Id love to get 225+ WHP without breaking anything. I do plan on getting a used block cheap.

Can anyone just supply me with a list of parts I would need, the sites to buy them from etc. I know there are different sizes and such but yeah.

If anyones from the NE and would like to show me in person how to build my motor once I get all the parts that would be awesome.

Let me know!

In 2 weeks I'll be starting to order stuff.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all
Re: Rebuilding engine help.

Originally Posted by Maple50175

I have had lots of 93 accord coupes and always wanted an h22 but that never happened. I don't want to swap in a K but I do want to boost.

I want to rebuilt the engine since this will be my daily driver and I have heard way to many horror stories with **** breaking etc.

I'm just very confused on what I need to get to bring to a shop to install it for me. I called a shop and they told me 3500 thats including labor, new pistons, rods etc etc. basically everything so I could get 300HP or more.....

Now I just want to buy all the parts and all at once bring them to a shop to install for me.

Id love to get 225+ WHP without breaking anything. I do plan on getting a used block cheap.

Can anyone just supply me with a list of parts I would need, the sites to buy them from etc. I know there are different sizes and such but yeah.

If anyones from the NE and would like to show me in person how to build my motor once I get all the parts that would be awesome.

Let me know!

Thanks

first id find out a few things!

A. The motor you have in the car, whats it worth crate?
Compare that to all the internal parts youll need to rebuild your old one, does this work out cheaper? Because once you add what it costs for all the parts and labour along with taxes, shop supplies etc...this does add up to the 3k-3.5k mark for a rebuild it may be cheaper for the crate engine??

B. Boost kit - Turbocharger, turbo/exhaust manifold, oil lines & return, etc...
Whats the price of a kit for your application?
Old 10-07-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I think the title of your thread should be building engine, not rebuilding engine.

The first question that pops to my mind is what head do you plan on running, and what block are you going to order - lx/ex?

The second thing that pops in my mind, is that you have no clue what your about to get into.

Do you know what pistons you want to run, what size cylinders? What compression do you want to run? Do you know how to change compression? If you think these four questions are asking 4 different things you need to park your butt infont of your monitor and learn before you empty your wallet on pointless products.

How high do you want to rev it? How much boost? ...are there any financial obstacles?

The FAQ is a good place to start:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/f...q#faq_turbo_q1
Second, look around the forced induction section:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rced-induction
Answers still arent in front of you?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/search.php
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

So basically id be better off just swapping an h22a in my bros accord and buy it off him eh?
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough

HAHA good luck with the swap.

Building your motor isn't going to be cheap or "easy". Listen to Triz and start reading.
Old 10-07-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

oh jeez.... The fact that you had to ask what you need means you're in absolutely no position to even begin starting to do the physical work.
1. buy the big green civic manual. The engine and cylinder head encompass a good 100 pages in that phone book. It would be wise to read it all... several times.
Second.... there have been several full on build threads done. I did one, Andyman did one, supermex did one, among others.... search and find, read those.
Third.... you need a good $2500 in parts alone, maybe more. I didnt keep accurate enough track because I stopped wanting to know what the total was. I do remember I bought $600+ in honda OEM stuff alone, none of it was major.

With that being said... if you're willing to tackle and engine build by yourself... I think you can search around and find some parts.... thats the easy part.
Old 10-12-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong forum, too. This isn't even in regards to a civic. I'd post this question on honda-tech, lmao.
Old 10-16-2007
7th Gen Photographer

LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light

Ok... I'll actually answer your question and pretend for a second you know what's going on. First thing's first. Call Paul @ Dezod Motorsports. Ask him to order you the
Force Fed Concepts D17 Alpha Series Turbo System
and some ARP head studs. Also order a Cometic head gasket, a wideband O2 sensor, various gauges, a clutch/flywheel able to handle the power and a high temp radiator cap.

Take that to your shop and have them install it then take it to a REPUTABLE tuner immediately so you don't blow your **** up like alot of us here.

The point is... Bring about $8,000-$9,000 or so to the table for 225whp... but by doing so, you could probably just go for 250-300. 200whp is about the turning point for these motors on when you either go all-out or go home.

Last edited by LogicWavelength; 10-16-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

^ Best Said Right There Folks! ^

+1 Ftw
Old 10-27-2007
Registered!!

LoneWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Rebuilding engine help.

Originally Posted by Maple50175

Let me know!

Thanks
225+ seams expensive as hell. 150-200 hp is easier to reach.

but the parts youll have to buy is about the same as the CB7s I believe. just that its for the civic
Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

swapping an H22 into a cb7 would be had for MUCH cheaper.
Old 10-31-2007
Registered!!

Misbah will become famous soon enough

H22/A into a cb7 is much easier and cheaper than building up a D17. I say easier in terms of the swap. Everything matches up. You don't have to transport over the fuel system, ecu, motor mounts, transmission, etc in that swap. Plus H22's are a dime a dozen. Good condition H22A's are a bit harder to source, but prob still cheaper than a brand new D17 short block.

And don't use that shop, or call them back even. And act like you know what your talking about on the phone (no offense) and he won't quote you such an *** rapage of a price. If you do build the D17 that is. I've built other engines, but never a D block. The first time you open up your own rotating assembly, it's fascinating. And then you see the billions of things where you may **** up when putting it back together.
Old 10-31-2007
Registered!!

Misbah will become famous soon enough

EDIT: Also, you may get more help on that swap from Hondaswap.com . Good forums there also.

Last edited by Misbah; 10-31-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Re-edit: Sorry for the double post..