Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Some cool tuning and exhaust related results

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Some cool tuning and exhaust related results

Had a local Dezod Turbo tC customer get tuned from 2 different local shops with horrid tunes. The car bogged, had tons of lag and driveability was ok at best. So I zero'd out the entire tune and started from scratch and instantly she started getting in line.....Tuned the car for 8 and 10 PSI with an e-cutout and here are the before and 2 afters.

Previous garbage tune with 10.0:1 AFRs at 10 PSI--280whp, 278wtq

New tune by me on 8 PSI with e-cutout @ 11.6:1---271whp, 247wtq

New tune by me on 10-11 PSI with e-cutout @ 11.2-11.4:1--293whp, 274wtq

The onset of boost is much smoother, and more agressive, lag was cut down by 300-500 RPMS and driveability is not even comparable.
Old 04-17-2007
Turbo Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some cool tuning and exhaust related results

AEM? Good work cleaning it up. Those torque and power curves were really sloppy.

Everybody needs to pay attention to this. It isn't just a matter of taking your car to a "tuner" because as you see, some tuners can screw your car up.
Old 04-17-2007
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andyman97
AEM? Good work cleaning it up. Those torque and power curves were really sloppy.

Everybody needs to pay attention to this. It isn't just a matter of taking your car to a "tuner" because as you see, some tuners can screw your car up.
Tell me bout it. The car was so laggy and had next to no useable power except for the top end, which is not appropriate on a DD turbo car with low boost like this. We where able to bring on power sooner and broaden the power band of this car quite a bit. Believe it or not, this was done on our tC black box (for partial throttle) and an e-manage for WOT. I tuned two seperate piggybacks to mesh them into this car.
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

trurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the rough

Did you street tune or dyno tune the TC
Old 04-17-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Very nice, but for thoes of us not around to get tuned by you/dezod, how do you know wheres a good place to tune at?
Old 04-17-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

thats a catch 22^
Old 04-17-2007
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by trurace
Did you street tune or dyno tune the TC
This was 100% street
Old 04-17-2007
7thgen Power Maker

Just to get a sheer apples to apples comparison. Here is what I did to the car's powerband bringing less lag and more useable power on the set-up for a DD turbo car. Notice the difference in the cars curves and especially above 5K rpms. This is a T3/TB54 with a Stage 3 .63 A/R wheel on a log manifold.

Before:

After

Last edited by dezod; 04-17-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job with the curves. It's always a pleasure to hear boost coming on sooner. Better power more quickly = tasty!
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light

Some tuners as about as good as smelly trash. You should see some of the **** we get.
Old 04-18-2007
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by WilmncChris
Some tuners as about as good as smelly trash. You should see some of the **** we get.
You saw the schtuff I got here. Nothing new man.
Old 04-18-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Very nice, but for thoes of us not around to get tuned by you/dezod, how do you know wheres a good place to tune at?
Reputation and word of mouth. With Hondata, they will recommend a good tuner. I would just ask around my area and see who knows what they're doing. If you hear alot of horror stories, staying away may not be a bad idea.

Paul, any reason you tuned the afr that lean? As long as the afr's stay around 12.5 or richer, he should be fine but I would personally feel safer somewhere in the mid-high 11's.
Old 04-18-2007
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by andyman97
Reputation and word of mouth. With Hondata, they will recommend a good tuner. I would just ask around my area and see who knows what they're doing. If you hear alot of horror stories, staying away may not be a bad idea.

Paul, any reason you tuned the afr that lean? As long as the afr's stay around 12.5 or richer, he should be fine but I would personally feel safer somewhere in the mid-high 11's.
The AFRS on 10 PSI where tuned to 11.2-11.4:1 and on the dyno with the onset of the turbocharger now, it comes in so fast, it was tough to transition from the partial throttle box, which I had programmed for closed loop to 11.4 AFR once in boost, to WOT with the e-manage to 11.4 AFR. It is the onset of boost, that I could have spent more time on, but the customer didn't want to pay for anymore tuning, and it was late. And for the record, 11.4 is FAR from lean.

On the dyno, he also observed that he picked up an extra PSI of boost (from 10 to 10.8) when running an e-cutout, which it did not do on the street when we where tuning. This also caused a short leaner than liked, scenario, but still well within guidlines of safe once he was all set.

Last edited by dezod; 04-18-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2007
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light

it sucks how all the money you have invested in a car can go to complete **** because of a bad tuner. This is what i would say to be the most important step and it completely lies on someone else.
Old 04-18-2007
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by Michalo187
it sucks how all the money you have invested in a car can go to complete **** because of a bad tuner. This is what i would say to be the most important step and it completely lies on someone else.
The way the previous tuners set-it up, he was destined to wash some rings for sure. 10:1. WTF is that?!?

On the street though, this cars AFRS where rock solid on the datalogs.
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light

Ye sometimes the AF ratios do not match the driveablity of the car. Esp on daily driven cars
Old 04-18-2007
7thgen Power Maker

I have seen AFRs differ from the street to the dyno. This is not the 1st time, hence why I do both and recheck my work in a system of checks and balances. The street matters much more to me because how often are you under dyno conditions vs street conditions.
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

mmm happens alot. Gotta tune both ways IMO to be consistent on the street. A lot of drag teams dont even bother with dynos once they get basemaps just for this reason, even at best, its only a simulation of real world events which are very hard to duplicate. It never hurts to have a wideband in the car, its relatively cheap insurance.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 04-18-2007 at 09:29 PM.