Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Which fitting for fuel return line

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Which fitting for fuel return line

I know its a -6, but there's 2 possibilities.... -6 to a 1/4NPT or -6 to 3/8 NPT. While I plan on hacking the NPT threads off and welding the nut straight to the rail, the hole inside the 3/8 one (and the nut on it) will be substantially larger.... thus require a bigger hole to be drilled in the rail. I cant imagine that much gas going back through, but who knows.
So.... 3/8 or 1/4" which is the better option. And are you guys using a steel fitting, or a stainless one. I'm assuming under the zinc coating, its just plain old steel but with all the low grade stainless things they've snuck in.... who knows.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-23-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2007
BLDNPSI Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
I forget what size mine is. But your saying that you currently have a NPT nut welded on now? As for the material i used just a standard steel fitting and had it tig welded on. After the new one is welded on use a straight edge to make sure it didnt warp too much. I had to flex mine just a bit to make it flat again.
Old 01-23-2007
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice

This is basically what was welded to my rail (SLP return kit) and essentially what you will end up with once you are done hacking the threads. I'd go 3/8 just because its bigger and it will still fit. Not that 1/4 would restrict flow but going bigger doesnt hurt. I have no clue what kind of material its made of though, my guess is SS.
Old 01-23-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tfnaaf
I forget what size mine is. But your saying that you currently have a NPT nut welded on now? As for the material i used just a standard steel fitting and had it tig welded on. After the new one is welded on use a straight edge to make sure it didnt warp too much. I had to flex mine just a bit to make it flat again.
No, nothing is welded on... but I was just gonna get a NPT/AN adapter and cut the NPT threads off. I forgot about the damn thing warping... I'll have to bolt it to something so it stays.

Thinking about it though... the size of the hole doesnt necessarily matter, as long as its bigger than the feed hole, which either will be, the regulator will hold it at 43psi or whatever and that line is gonna "back up" persay to maintain the pressure. So as long as the outflow is capable of being more than in, it will work.
I can see the benefit of the bigger hole though... the pump wants to push with as little restriction as possible. the bigger the hole in that fitting, the more it can push, and the cooler the pump stays.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-23-2007 at 10:36 PM.