Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Question about turbo PSI

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Question about turbo PSI

First ill start by saying I have an SF turbo (t3 super60)

Dezod's t3/t4 turbo put out 164whp @ 5psi(which I assume is what it can run safely on stock internals)

I was reading the forums and someone with the exact same turbo I have only put out 160whp@8psi

What I want to know is, is it a possible that dezods t3/t4 @5psi = SF's t3 super60 @ 8psi?

In other words, is 8psi safe on stock interals with the SF turbo

If not, what are the minimum things I need to change to be able to run 8psi safely?

And how do you know how much you can run safely after upgrading some things?
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
You can run up to 10 psi on stock internals but YOU MUST HAVE the proper fuel management to accomadate for that boost level. The turbo and manifold design of dezod's kit allows more hp to be put down on lower boost. Remember dezod's old kit put out only 150hp on an auto on 8psi but thats going back to his stage 1 kit. I've been told that 10-12psi is the max boost level on a stock headgasket and rsx injectors max out around 200whp which is close to about 10psi.
Old 01-12-2007
Banned

2k3civicSSM is an unknown quantity at this point
it's all about the tune
Old 01-12-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
With an e-shitbox I wouldnt chance more than 8
Bare minimum upgrades are ARP headstuds and a new HG. ARP Rodbolts arent a bad investment either.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

LiVe bAiT is an unknown quantity at this point
im running 10lbs on a stock b16 with ctr cams and put down 330 to the wheels. all about the tune and set up.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LiVe bAiT
im running 10lbs on a stock b16 with ctr cams and put down 330 to the wheels. all about the tune and set up.

proof..lol

tuning is the key.
Old 01-12-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
You can run up to 10 psi on stock internals but YOU MUST HAVE the proper fuel management to accomadate for that boost level. The turbo and manifold design of dezod's kit allows more hp to be put down on lower boost. Remember dezod's old kit put out only 150hp on an auto on 8psi but thats going back to his stage 1 kit. I've been told that 10-12psi is the max boost level on a stock headgasket and rsx injectors max out around 200whp which is close to about 10psi.
so....problem solved if i buy a dezod turbo + mani?
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

aznprid214 has a spectacular aura aboutaznprid214 has a spectacular aura about
hey karizzle, you still in for the group buy? let me know man...

FREE BUMP
Old 01-12-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Any T3/T4 and a matching T3 footed manifold will work. Put a big turbo on it, you blow lots of air without a lot of pressure.
Old 01-12-2007
Pinkslip Racer

^^

alright...ill prolly just run what i have now, get tuned, see what i run with 6 psi. if no good. new turbo and no rims + sway bars
Old 01-12-2007
Pinkslip Racer

What do I look for when looking to buy "proper fuel management" (yes im new to this stuff, but we havent learnt about fuel injection in school yet...ill get there one day...)

And you think I'd be able to run 8psi on stock internals with stock fuel management? How much you think the auto tranny can take?
Old 01-12-2007
Pinkslip Racer

another thing, just asked somenone else and heres what he told me. someone confirm what he is telling me plz

"the whp u get doesnt jsut depend on the psi, it depends on many factors, cfm is a big one

smack a 14b at 8psi on ur engine and lets say u make 180whp

smack a gt35 at 8psi and ull be making somewhere around 300whp..

bigger the turbo more cfm it pushes but then u get more turbo lag etc etc

dont guage urself on howmuch psi can u safely run it at, the question is more howmuch hp can u run it safely at, if u need 600psi to get 200hp or 8psi to get 200 its the same thing...

another thing that desides if its goign to blow or not is what ur tuning it with and whos tuning it, ive seen some stock d16's putting out 300hp.. and ive seen some pop at 150hp..., please do u and ur engine a faver and dont use a fmu... get real managment like crome or uberdata. and 160whp is almsot 180hp + all the extra torque ull have compared to a torqueless honda engine ull feel it Alot!, anyways i have never tooken apart a d17 i dont know how thin its rods are etc, look on the internet for its max safe daily driven hp, i would say around 180-190whp and u should be good."
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
the whp u get doesnt jsut depend on the psi, it depends on many factors, cfm is a big one

smack a 14b at 8psi on ur engine and lets say u make 180whp

smack a gt35 at 8psi and ull be making somewhere around 300whp..

bigger the turbo more cfm it pushes but then u get more turbo lag etc etc

dont guage urself on howmuch psi can u safely run it at, the question is more howmuch hp can u run it safely at, if u need 600psi to get 200hp or 8psi to get 200 its the same thing..
This is correct.
Old 01-12-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

YOu evidently asked someone with an older model. You cant use crome or uberdata, nor am I aware than an FMU would work without a return line. and the rods in this POS are something on the order of .15" thinner than D16 rods.
Old 01-13-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
YOu evidently asked someone with an older model. You cant use crome or uberdata, nor am I aware than an FMU would work without a return line. and the rods in this POS are something on the order of .15" thinner than D16 rods.
yeah the guy i asked has a boosted d16
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

SPUNKYcivy01 is an unknown quantity at this point
If the turbo is too big, the motor wont spin it and it wont be effective.
Tuning is everything
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by karizzle
What do I look for when looking to buy "proper fuel management" (yes im new to this stuff, but we havent learnt about fuel injection in school yet...ill get there one day...)

And you think I'd be able to run 8psi on stock internals with stock fuel management? How much you think the auto tranny can take?

By proper fuel management I'm talking about AEM EMS, PCS-XFC, or emanage, with RSX type S injectors. Some ppl have gotten away with an FMU but it's not safe after 5psi on our d17's. In my opinion you will need at least emanage and rsx s injectors if you plan to boost 8psi. Look into PCS-XFC, its a good piggyback that allows our civics to drive better during partial throttle as opposed to emanage. Wilmnchris is using the PCS-XFC with rsx s injectors with the dezod turbo kit making 160+ hp on 5psi with an auto tranny. That's a pretty good as tune I must say...but just keep doing your homework. Try to talk to boosted 7thgens more than previous year boosted guys bc our civics are nothing like there's. The d17 is a funny little motor but with the right setup can make decent power.
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

aznprid214 has a spectacular aura aboutaznprid214 has a spectacular aura about
hey ronaldo... thanks for your thread... im learning something thinking about turbo as well just so i can get a lil more power.. keep asking questions
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

SPUNKYcivy01 is an unknown quantity at this point
The owner of my local shop runs greddy e-manage piggybacks.
Old 01-14-2007
Pinkslip Racer

By proper fuel management I'm talking about AEM EMS, PCS-XFC, or emanage, with RSX type S injectors. Some ppl have gotten away with an FMU but it's not safe after 5psi on our d17's. In my opinion you will need at least emanage and rsx s injectors if you plan to boost 8psi. Look into PCS-XFC, its a good piggyback that allows our civics to drive better during partial throttle as opposed to emanage. Wilmnchris is using the PCS-XFC with rsx s injectors with the dezod turbo kit making 160+ hp on 5psi with an auto tranny. That's a pretty good as tune I must say...but just keep doing your homework. Try to talk to boosted 7thgens more than previous year boosted guys bc our civics are nothing like there's. The d17 is a funny little motor but with the right setup can make decent power.

alright, well I have emanage and rsx injectors and it will be profesionally tuned. my turbo is the t3 super60, and that at 8psi should make 160whp. i guess there is no problems....
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
you will prob make more than 160whp with that set-up. i am guessing withing the 175whp range. and yes we can run FMU i have an fmu hooked up on my car right now. safely running at 6psi.
Old 01-14-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Originally Posted by caquinde
you will prob make more than 160whp with that set-up. i am guessing withing the 175whp range. and yes we can run FMU i have an fmu hooked up on my car right now. safely running at 6psi.
well the dude that owned this kit before me was making 160whp @ 8psi. the only diff between what he had and me is a diff intercooler. unless his tune was ****, im expecting to make the same amount of power
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
perhaps, i am guessing that the weather conditions were not the greatest where the previous owner was boosted and his tune was a less than decent tune. a buddy of mine is turbo'd d17 with the same fmu as me running 6psi and he hit 161.3 whp on the dyno. that is untuned with an FMU.
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

roll_outz is an unknown quantity at this point
U can run 8psi but it wont 't hold to much pressure.. well gud luck...
Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

bluesteelrock is an unknown quantity at this point
hooker addiction, what are you smokin dude how bout ****king your girlfriend in back of the civic , u really feel the stg 3 suspension in my ride lol