Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

k20a3 bashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
k20a3 bashing

so, whats everyones thoughts on the k20a3 motor? why is there so much bashing about it? personally i think its a perfectly good motor to swap and boost. any other thoughts?
Old 03-20-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Why start at 160 h.p. when you can start at 200?
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
i guess peoplejust see its hp and assume it sucks....but i would rather buy a k20a or a2 becuase i will save some time replacing parts suchs as manifold pistons and other things that are diff from a2 from a3 .... thats how i would see it
Old 03-20-2006
awd pwnz j00

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Why start at 160 h.p. when you can start at 200?
+12345
Old 03-20-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
If you're thinking about swapping a K20, You're obviously going for something more powerful then what you have. I'd be looking at horsepower more then the parts that you'd need, though, cause the end result will probably be about the same amount of work needed to swap. Just my two cents, but I'd rather start out higher in the horsepower game
Old 03-20-2006
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
If you are planning to boost, a3 is good motor to start with, because of cheaper price.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
I suppose thats like saying why swap in a B16 when you can swap in a B18...

K20A3s are cheaper and more abundant I suppose, not to mention, aren't they a bit lower compression? Making them a bit more boost friendly?
Old 03-20-2006

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
if you boost go with the a3... the a3 has low compression...

all motor go with the a2... it has higher compression

here is how i see it... if you get the a2 and want to boost.. then you would need to put in lower compression pistons.. howeever you can boost on the a2 but you cant boost as much as a a3....

ideally if you are planning to boost use the a2 head with the a3 bottom.. cheap and effective... power of the a2 with the lower compression of the a3...

other than that its just all a matter of preference here on.... how much you want to spend and so forth
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

5.0calypso93lx is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, what would the hp be on an a3 bottom end with an a2 head? I'm guessing lower than the complete a2 because of the lower compression, but how much lower?
Old 03-21-2006
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Not to mention tranny. A3 comes with a 5speed tranny where as the A/A2 comes with a 6speed tranny.
Old 03-21-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
There is no reason to bash the K20a3 itself. Its a rock solid motor, has good horsepower, and even is offered with an auto if that is what you want.

Now the a3 as a swap is different. I still feel the a3 makes a great swap. You can get it cheaper and then boost the hell out of it. Getting over 200whp is not a problem from the motor with some work.

I look at it like this: If your new motor has significantly more power than your original (25% more from ex -> k20a3) then it is worth the upgrade.
Old 03-21-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Lower compression
Pansy VTEC
1 less gear
No Oil squirters

Its only real advantage is its cheap.
An accord motor would be a better boost option given the extra cubes and quantity available, but the A3 seems to be the cheapest, its easier to start with the A, A2, Z1 or Z3 if you're going to not boost it because all the necessary equipment is there.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by diskreet

I look at it like this: If your new motor has significantly more power than your original (25% more from ex -> k20a3) then it is worth the upgrade.
Look at it like this, if you're going to do all that work, why not get the most out of it?
Old 03-21-2006
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
The a3 would feel a world of a difference compared to our motor. But yeah like everybody says..if your doing all of this work and spending all of this money to swap for a K series..why not shave some more bucks for the a or a2.
Old 03-21-2006
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
i've got buddies with both the ep3 and rsx the vtec on the ep3 is weaksauce, nothin compared to the rsx. if your gonna do the swap why not do it right the first time and get the A2
Old 03-21-2006

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
well... in all honesty if you are gonna spend quite a few money then why dont you just do a k24 block.. more torque and more potential
Old 03-21-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
There's not just a "few bucks" difference between an a3 and an a2 swap, at least around here. It's more like a few THOUSAND dollars. I'm all for people swapping whatever they want, and I'd like to have an a3, but there's a larger problem with it than anyone else has mentioned. It has a notorious issue with crankwalk. Also, going on on ephatch.com and clubrsx.com, someone has managed to swap in a2 cams into a completley stock a3 motor, with a little work done (nothing major).
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

EGGRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are planning to swap AND boost, a K20a3 motor with a used turbo or supercharger kit is an easy way to make 220-270whp with way more torque then N/A.

Old 03-21-2006
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=xproductionz][B]

ideally if you are planning to boost use the a2 head with the a3 bottom.. cheap and effective... power of the a2 with the lower compression of the a3...

Thats how i see it too
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
Just buy a K24A1, you'll find it for cheaper and that b*tch will be ready for a type s head later.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

cj2185 is an unknown quantity at this point
Which k24 engine is best to use, tsx, cr-v, accord?
Old 03-21-2006

K24 longblocks go for around a grand here. and about the A2 cams in the a3 you have to swap over the full valve train,, cam caps, plus switch some small things i forgot what they were and you have to have Kpro. there was a member on HT that posted how to do it he made close to 200hp just by switchin all that stuff over
Old 03-21-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Question

Originally Posted by cj2185
Which k24 engine is best to use, tsx, cr-v, accord?
Ya is there a better OR best k24??
Old 03-21-2006

here's a link to how to put the a2 cams into the a3 head

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1553082
Old 03-21-2006
I hope I offend you... Get mad

Slow Gold will become famous soon enoughSlow Gold will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
Ya is there a better OR best k24??
hell yeah theres a better 24 its a k24a2 from the tsx. back to the subjetct though a k20a3 sux because it hit no vtec. the vtec that it has is the 12 valve to 16 valve gas saving vtec which in my book is by no means vtec at all. vtec to me is something that has a high cam low cam. which only two engine out really have the k20a2 from rsx type s or the tsx k24a2. all other motors marked with VTEC seem to lack the power and high end 8k rpm pull. so swapping an a3 into your vic wouldve been like putting an ls b18a or b in an oldschool teg. yes its true you can swap heads but who wants to do all that extra work when you can just simply put in the motor you desire the first time.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
The best value would be from an accord. The best performance tsx, but it is not worth the cost.
Choosing an engine has alot to do with who you know, cause some people have done swaps for pretty damn cheap. You also have to know what you want. Do you want 250whp, or do you wanna push it to over 300whp some day?
You also need to know what kind of power do you want, do you want all motor, turbo, or s/c. You need to figure out what you want and then set a goal.
If you go a cheap route ONLY because of the fact that it is cheap then you will probably not get what you want. You will probably just spend more money in the long run trying to get what you want. If you say that all you want is a faster car, well it aint that easy.

Last edited by jackburton; 03-21-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2006
TEIN MAN

RAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jackburton
The best value would be from an accord. The best performance tsx, but it is not worth the cost.
Choosing an engine has alot to do with who you know, cause some people have done swaps for pretty damn cheap. You also have to know what you want. Do you want 250whp, or do you wanna push it to over 300whp some day?
You also need to know what kind of power do you want, do you want all motor, turbo, or s/c. You need to figure out what you want and then set a goal.
If you go a cheap route ONLY because of the fact that it is cheap then you will probably not get what you want. You will probably just spend more money in the long run trying to get what you want. If you say that all you want is a faster car, well it aint that easy.

but with the k24a4 accord motors a type s head will not fit... something about piston clearance.. granted you can just fix that with machine work but thats more money to be spent.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

Could you run a tsx k24 shortblock(whats the compression btw), with the k20 jdm type r head which makes 220hp? Also is the k24 tsx motor drive by wire only, or can you make it work with the stock throttle system? All you swapper guys are crazy, $8k for a 200 hp engine and tranny? Thats nuts. Don't get me wrong, i think thats bad as hell what a lot of you guys do, and who has a k24 swapped civic by me, let alone a k20 swapped 7thgen. I wish i had $8k for my motor, LOL.

Last edited by 5.0calypso93lx; 03-21-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
ading drive by wire to a car not so equipped is ALOT of money!
You need new pedal assembly, wiring to pedal and all the extra electronics, new throttle body, not to mention the fact that the electonic for the throttle might go through other parts like the ECU.
Old 03-21-2006
TEIN MAN

RAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura aboutRAZRBLD has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 5.0calypso93lx
Could you run a tsx k24 shortblock(whats the compression btw), with the k20 jdm type r head which makes 220hp? Also is the k24 tsx motor drive by wire only, or can you make it work with the stock throttle system? All you swapper guys are crazy, $8k for a 200 hp engine and tranny? Thats nuts. Don't get me wrong, i think thats bad as hell what a lot of you guys do, and who has a k24 swapped civic by me, let alone a k20 swapped 7thgen. I wish i had $8k for my motor, LOL.
yeah you can do that its called a Fankenstein. You just cant do it with k24a4 engines unless you fix the clearance issue.

Quick Reply: k20a3 bashing