Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

turbo install pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydroflare is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by hydroflare; 03-26-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
nice!! real clean car man---that fmic looks amazing w/ your car for some reason
Old 03-05-2006
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
whoa busta busta that manifold is sick !!
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
thats hot. u get it tuned yet?
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
wow... very nice. what kit is that? got some specs?
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

almost got it done tuning. got my fuel management setup and adjusted. just need to adjust timing.
Old 03-05-2006
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
pphhhsssssttttttt vroom
Old 03-05-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
holy crap
Old 03-05-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
got any more exterior pics? that turbo setup looks amazing
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough
really nice set up!
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

custom kit
T3 turbo - XS power (ebay deal from ssautochrome)
XS power BOV
XS power wastegate
OBX turbo manifold (did not fit right- had to chop up and grind down)
7x20" intercooler
rsx 310 injectors
emanage w/injector and ignition harness
custom piping
currently running 8psi
Old 03-05-2006
A03
Registered!!

A03 is an unknown quantity at this point
that looks very, very nice.. like it's never even been run. Have you heated up that header already, or were these pictures fresh after the install?

Looks great, I hope to see more!
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

Thats a week after the install. I been driving it around a lot.
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
damn that is nice and what kitis that...nice manifold
Old 03-05-2006
spoolin by you

Spoolin should not be trustedSpoolin should not be trusted
lol @ the ssautochrome/obx turbo kit. $10 says it breaks within a month. either that or the manifold cracks and the turbo or wastegate falls off...

should have done some research before purchasing that kit. check honda-tech, there are several threads about people who have bought that same kit for other hondas and they are complete **** and their turbos crack/blow, their wastegates dont hold pressure, their bov's leak and creep, and their manifolds crack and break....

just an FYI you might want to take into consideration....

EDIT:

just a little food for thought...

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1097918 <-- I'd def check that out if I was you
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1191057 <-- pics are dead, but just read it and you will see what i am talking about
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1022324 <-- some nice pics of the end result of boosting on their quality manifolds
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=925032
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1323296

Last edited by Spoolin; 03-05-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2006
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
^ im glad you posted that. I didnt want to be the bringer of bad news yet again.

I hope it lasts for you, but i really really doubt it due to their track record.

I have held one of those in my hands before. And any manifold that weighs less than 2 lbs should never be used. Shiny muffler tubing is not a good thing to use as a turbo manifold.

Also, i have heard that their wastegates will start to spike the boost. They use some cheap neoprene rubber that cant withstand high temperatures. And when it gets a hole in it, the wastegate wont open. Then you will make however much boost it wants
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Looks cool at least. On a good note, it hasn't died yet!
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

1st of all, i have 3 other friends running turbos of the same brand for about a year with no problem.

2nd i dont see how you can say the wastegate would fall off when it is bolted on.

also the height of the obx manifold has been decreased to nearly half of what it use to be. there is less flexibility now and it also has been reinforced with our welder. manifolds usually break due to the engine being unstable and moving around. my engine is very stable, the manifold and pipes are reinforced, and the ehaust system has it's flexibility with the rubber hangers.

everything has been taken in consideration and my partner that helped me install it is a professional in the field that does this stuff for a living.

overall i dont find it funny. i went with what i see in peoples cars around here and not from listening to people i dont know.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I am a professional as well. The only thing we got from them that held up is the turbos. We braced and welded the manifolds SO MANY TIMES to keep em together. The wastegates sometimes work, the two that we got did spike as soon as we put them on. I have heard of people doing ok with them but the diaphrams are real cheezy. not to knock ya or anything, it looks awesome. Just keep an eye on the manifold. If you catch the cracks before they get bad you will prolly be ok.
Old 03-06-2006
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
That front lip looks awesome.
Old 03-06-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
I am a professional as well. The only thing we got from them that held up is the turbos. We braced and welded the manifolds SO MANY TIMES to keep em together. The wastegates sometimes work, the two that we got did spike as soon as we put them on. I have heard of people doing ok with them but the diaphrams are real cheezy. not to knock ya or anything, it looks awesome. Just keep an eye on the manifold. If you catch the cracks before they get bad you will prolly be ok.
I agree, I've heard and seen pictures of horror stories too many times of OBX manifolds. But it looks good and if you like it and it does what you want ...
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

mag05ex is an unknown quantity at this point
WoW Complete Hotness.......... Thats looks sweet....
Blake
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

thanks for the response you guys. i will keep a eye out to see how everything works. i will most likely install a boost controller soon to help prevent spikes. so far everything seems to be running good besides the part i am getting a primary o2 cel and a baro sensor cel.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

Pedro Lopes is an unknown quantity at this point
What exactly do you have to do to make the manifold fit. Also good luck with everything, it looks great. The pipes would look awesome if they were polished.
Old 03-06-2006
2005SE

Damn, that looks HOTTTTT! Good luck, man!
Old 03-06-2006
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
a boost controller will not prevent spikes with a bad wastegate. A bad wastegate will do whatever it wants.

the thing that kills those manifolds is not engine movement. It is expansion of the metals, vibrations from the exhaust pulses, and the weight of the turbo/downpipe pulling on the manifold. The weakest link is the welds. Once you get around those, the weakness is the thin material itself.

Those manifolds are made out of the same material as a normal naturally aspirated header. Turbo manifolds have more heat (due to an exhaust restriction right at the manifold), more vibration (from the exhaust pulses hitting the turbine wheel, and also from the turbine/shaft/impeller assembly spinning at very high speeds), and also has a lot more weight.

I am not saying "it will break". I am saying that the possibility of you experiencing hinderance due to an inherent defect in the materials and design used is considerably greater than most of the other manifolds on the market.

Just check it regularly for any cracks. And i wish you luck with it.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
on a positive note, we got over 400 whp out of a a built h22a, with a temporary $100 obx header. It lasted a whole season but we had to weld it every day just about. Its black, hehe. The header tubes were so much smaller than the ports that the header pretty much wanted to melt off the car it got so hot. The new header is on now, we kept the old one for a joke and conversation piece.
Old 03-06-2006
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks nice. I wish you luck with it. Ive heard too many horror stories about OBX, thats why i went TSI. TSI is a very nice kit. Just upgrade a couple misc things and your good to go. People knock on them. But if anybody felt their manifold, they would see there is good quality with them, IMO.

I have a subaru now. 250hp/250tq. Soon to be over 300whp/300wtq.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

that is some very interesting information turboengnr. i will inspect my parts regularly.

pedro lopes, i had to grind one of the sides because it wouldnt mount on (the side near the power steering). i think we chopped about 4 inches off from the bottom because the turbo wouldn't fit.

also for those who worked with different types of wastegates. do you guys see any type of wear and tear before failure or it is just random?
Old 03-06-2006
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
that is sooo sexy! wow that looks clean

Quick Reply: turbo install pictures