Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

afcII + cam gear for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomola is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow afcII + cam gear for tuning?

Hi pplz,

So I'm wondering how good of a tune on a stock D17A1 is possible with a S-AFCII and an adjustable Cam Gear? Anyone running Boost with these items?

I'm finally leaving the NA option and going FI - Turbo!

Of course I would be getting it DYNO tuned around 5-6 Psi and yes I have read the FAQ!!
Old 08-05-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
275 for the SAFC AND 80-100 for the cam gear = 375 for that just get an emenage and the harnesses!
Old 08-05-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tomola
Hi pplz,

So I'm wondering how good of a tune on a stock D17A1 is possible with a S-AFCII and an adjustable Cam Gear? Anyone running Boost with these items?

I'm finally leaving the NA option and going FI - Turbo!

Of course I would be getting it DYNO tuned around 5-6 Psi and yes I have read the FAQ!!
s-afc and a cam gear sound like N/A mods. Like Hya said, get the emanage and do it right.
Old 08-05-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
yup... emanage
Old 08-05-2005
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
I think when you hear "timing" you probably think cam timing. Alot of times in fi, when people speak of timing, they mean ignition timing. There's a whole write up on this in my sig if you want to read up on it. But, the afc doesn't control ignition timing, emanage does. Also, the cam gear will only allow you to adjust cam timing, not ignition timing.
Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds like a bad setup. I wouldn't run it on 1 psi. Get the Emanage.
Old 08-05-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by andyman97
I think when you hear "timing" you probably think cam timing. Alot of times in fi, when people speak of timing, they mean ignition timing. There's a whole write up on this in my sig if you want to read up on it. But, the afc doesn't control ignition timing, emanage does. Also, the cam gear will only allow you to adjust cam timing, not ignition timing.
Unless he had a d16, but he doesn't so it doesn't matter.
Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by andyman97

Ok sweet, I had read somewhere that by adjusting the cam timing that the ECU would adjust the ignition timing accordingly. I wanted to make sure that was incorrect.

I already have an adjustable came gear and a S-AFCII (all you had to do was read my sig) Anyway I can get an emanage quite cheap - i'll just have to a get harness. Awsome....
Old 08-05-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
i know the emanage and aem ems is way better but if u have the safc, denso's, turbo kit with some type of upgraded fuel system like rsx-s injectors Tuned on the dyno its not that bad and for low boost like 5-6 it will be fine. I know the e-manage is way better but if he has the safc now and plans to only boost that low he should be fine. one of my friends has tuned the vafc and safc on boosted cars without changing the ignition timming and they are boosting 5-10 and run fine.
Old 08-06-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by allmotor
i know the emanage and aem ems is way better but if u have the safc, denso's, turbo kit with some type of upgraded fuel system like rsx-s injectors Tuned on the dyno its not that bad and for low boost like 5-6 it will be fine. I know the e-manage is way better but if he has the safc now and plans to only boost that low he should be fine. one of my friends has tuned the vafc and safc on boosted cars without changing the ignition timming and they are boosting 5-10 and run fine.
That's what I wanted to know. Nice so basically when I install the kit - i'll be able to drive it down to the workshop and have it Dynoed - somewere around 5-6. I'll probably run it on the stock injectors/pump - at first to see how it goes/feels.

The kit I want to get is good for 440 WHP. So in the future when I upgrade the internals rods & pistons possbily crank and the fule system than I'll get an AEM EMS or Emanage before I go above 10.
Old 08-06-2005

Originally Posted by Tomola
Ok sweet, I had read somewhere that by adjusting the cam timing that the ECU would adjust the ignition timing accordingly. I wanted to make sure that was incorrect.

I already have an adjustable came gear and a S-AFCII (all you had to do was read my sig) Anyway I can get an emanage quite cheap - i'll just have to a get harness. Awsome....
Well, what you read about the adjusting the cam timing and adjusting the ignition timing is true for the D16 because the distibutor was connected directly to the cam, however, that's not the case for the D17, so you don't have to worry about that So it isn't comletely untrue, just not applicatable to your civic.