Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Need help with coolant resovoir

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Civic_RedLine
is it called a leakdown test?
No, tell them you suspect a blown head gasket and ask if they have the tool that checks for combustion in the cooling system. I think the tool its self only cost like $50-75. Its not a real high tech tool

http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/MechT...Num=2&modNum=5
Combustion Leak Test

A combustion leak test is designed to check for the presence of combustion gases in the engine coolant. It should be performed when signs (overheating, bubbles in the coolant, rise in coolant level upon starting) point to a blown head gasket, cracked block, or cracked cylinder head.

A block tester, often called a combustion leak tester, is placed in the radiator filler neck. The engine is started and the test bulb is squeezed and then released. This will pull air from the radiator through the test fluid.

The fluid in the block tester is normally blue. The chemicals in the exhaust gases cause a reaction in the test fluid, changing its color. A combustion leak will turn the fluid yellow. If the fluid remains blue, there is no combustion leak.

Combustion leakage into the cooling system is very damaging. Exhaust gases mix with the coolant and form corrosive acids. The acids can cause holes in the radiator and corrode other components.

An exhaust gas analyzer will also detect combustion pressure leakage into the coolant. By placing the analyzer probe over the filler neck and accelerating the engine, the probe will pick up any hydrocarbons (HC) leaking from the system, which indicates combustion leakage.
Here a tester i found with a short search, there are others...

http://store.autotoolexpress.com/colete.html
Old 06-14-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
don't even bother on spendidng any more money that you need too.
Is the HG.
Change it.
Get the head resurfaced, and don't boost till you get a better fuel system and
e-manage to retard timing.
Old 06-14-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
i tested the car again and at 4 psi with mild driving the resovoir drips little into the fan area.
Old 06-14-2005

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I didnt even read the thread but my first guess is HG b/c thats the same problem I had when I found out mine was blown...well it wasnt BLOWN...it had little air pockets
Old 06-14-2005
im stock now! T.T

maybe i should go test it.
Old 06-14-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
It is a blown head gasket. Don't be in denial. The longer you wait the worse it will get. The problem will not "go away" Pick up a new one and some arp head bolts have them torqued to 55 ftlbs and boost safely.
Old 06-14-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
driving under boost constantly on 4 or 6 psi puts positive pressure where it shouldn't be for a sustained period of time. that would cause the HG to go and the head to lift. I boost 8psi daily and during the day I keep the car running as close to 16vac as possible(stock vac) When I go out to run. I'll run my race and then back off and let it cool beween runs. never back to back and it's held together dam well for a motor with 97k on it.(knock on wood) I would change the head gasket, keep it in vac and play safe when your daily driving and try adding in more water to your collant mixture and adding in some anti corrisve additive like blue ice or water wetter. The more water % in the mixture the better the cooling capabilties. Water cools better then coolant. just make sure to add the anticorrive mix in so you don't get rust in the system and screw up the water pump
Old 06-14-2005
im stock now! T.T

Just did the test, mechanic did it for free since I gave him some speaker wires for his system that I had laying around. He told me he doesnt know if its the h-g for sure are not cause he couldnt tell on mine. He also checked oil to make sure no water in there and my head wasnt shaking so he told me usually when its a h-g the head shakes. I didnt know what else tests he did but im going back for a compression test tomorrow.
PS He took off the thermostat so the the car will be cooler. Is this a nono? he told me he did this to all of his customer's cars and I known this guy for quite sometime now so I dont think he would bs me.
Old 06-15-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Supermex
don't even bother on spendidng any more money that you need too.
Is the HG.
Change it.
Get the head resurfaced, and don't boost till you get a better fuel system and
e-manage to retard timing.
If you retard the timing on that low of psi your going to drop power like a bizitch.
Im on 8psi and never touched the timing. as soon as we pulled timing I lost 25hp. Im at 194whp 174tq running pig rich dipping into 9:1 I think once I pull some fuel I should hit the 200whp @8psi mark.
Old 06-15-2005
im stock now! T.T

ok, Im still not sure if it was the hg or not. Im at low boost which is like 3-4 right now. My power feels so slow, the rpms take forever to go up there, it seems as if I dont even have a turbo anymore. Is it possible that I could have blown something like a piston so my car doesnt run the same anymore?
Old 06-15-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Civic_RedLine
Just did the test, mechanic did it for free since I gave him some speaker wires for his system that I had laying around. He told me he doesnt know if its the h-g for sure are not cause he couldnt tell on mine. He also checked oil to make sure no water in there and my head wasnt shaking so he told me usually when its a h-g the head shakes. I didnt know what else tests he did but im going back for a compression test tomorrow.
PS He took off the thermostat so the the car will be cooler. Is this a nono? he told me he did this to all of his customer's cars and I known this guy for quite sometime now so I dont think he would bs me.
Put back the thermostat. It won't do **** and you'll continuously run in open loop and kill your gas mileage.

head shaking?

Compression test won't tell you much.

Just accept what we all said and replace it. It really can't be anything else. There's a reason why 10 different people all said the same thing.

Last edited by Havok2k1; 06-15-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2005
im stock now! T.T

eh? i didnt take the thermostat off, just the spring that closes it. the coolant does not overflow anymore does this still mean it was the hg? by the time I change my hg I wanna better radiator too so this wont happen and get e-manage with srt injectors...
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
You still dont think its your HG? As someone said your in denial.
Old 06-16-2005
Currently boosted at 0 psi.

ThsUserNmIsDumb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HyaBoosta
The more water % in the mixture the better the cooling capabilties. Water cools better then coolant.
Are you sure about that? I thought coolant had a higher heat capacity, and thus, can absorb more heat than water before boiling. I could be wrong, but I always thought that coolant would thus cool better than water...
Old 06-17-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Srt Injectors?????? Do those actually fit???
Old 06-17-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I told you you'd blow your headgasket.

just listen to everyone and go replace it
Old 06-18-2005

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
okay then replace your thermostat with a colder one and if your reservoir fills up, then *ding ding* its your HG
Old 06-18-2005
im stock now! T.T

replaced the thermostat and no more coolant dripping.
Old 06-18-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ what thermostat did you get?
Old 06-18-2005
im stock now! T.T

just replaced the spring that closes the thermostat and no more coolant dripping, im hoping this was the thermostat problem.
Old 06-19-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HyaBoosta
If you retard the timing on that low of psi your going to drop power like a bizitch.
Im on 8psi and never touched the timing. as soon as we pulled timing I lost 25hp. Im at 194whp 174tq running pig rich dipping into 9:1 I think once I pull some fuel I should hit the 200whp @8psi mark.
set the e-manage to pull little timing at full boost only in increments of 1 degtree at the time up to to 4 degree as the boost increases and back to normal as it goes into vacum.
you can also pull fuel by using a fuel regulator and setting e-manage to control the injectors fuel flow.
8psi on stock internals is a lot, the pistons are almost flat.
The car need to be tunned properly or the first thing to go will be the HG.
Sooner or latter it will happen.

Red Line don't be on denial like dj mota said, if you run with your thermostat off you will do more damage than good.
The reason you are blowing watter into the reservoir is because you are leaking preassure from the water jacket walls of the block.
The damage is not that severe yet to leak coolant into the oil.
And some times will not be detected when the car is cold witch need to be in order to do a compresion check.
The car will only get hot as you lose water from the radiator.

Don't waste any more time and money.
If you whait too long you may cause the block to warped and then you'll have to dismantle your engine and get the block to the machine shop $$$$

If you already ran your car without a thermostat you need to put it back on and reset the computer.
You car is not running hot!
But monitor your radiators fluids daily or better yet don't drive till you get the HG changed

Last edited by Supermex; 06-19-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2005
im stock now! T.T

replaced thermostat and now no spill whatsoever, did all the t ests and every one of them came out perfect. Im gonna keep it like this til I get e-manage or something.
Old 06-21-2005

liljoe is an unknown quantity at this point
just a quick reply to subscribe/see how its going. I'm interested to know if it was a head gasket or some other problem. Any updates?