Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

ran 75 shot. intake manifold gone.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onebuddha1 is an unknown quantity at this point
ran 75 shot. intake manifold gone.

75 shot kills plastic intakes manifolds made by honda.. lol well many things went wrong but heres tha jist. i launched then gained traction. after that i shot tha 75 shot for 2 secs and everything blew up...

facts:
-intake manifold is done
-spark plugs are fine
-i ran tha 75 shot jets
-wet zex kit
-full bottle
-heater was on
-i have no upgraded ignition
-91 octane
-i have i.h.e

you peeps have any idea what went wrong and what i should do to get my car up and running again?
thanks!

here go pics of my intake manifold after 300ft down tha 1/4 mile

enjoy!

Last edited by onebuddha1; 04-13-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
damn that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Just try to find a new one for cheap. good luck.
Old 04-13-2005
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
get a non plastic intake manifold...
Old 04-13-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Ooooooo.... backfire = bad, you can get a metal manifold but, that won't solve the problem you have. You seem to say that you turned on the nitrous after you got traction, if so... stop that. But then you say you have the zex system, to my knowledge, the zex system won't turn on till 3rd gear above 3,000 RPMS, so how/why did you turn it on early?

Generally this happens because the fuel/air/nitrous going into the cylinder ignited before the intake valve closed thus pushing a mass amount of air out your intake while it was blowing up (think really bad here), this means you are engine was running extremely lean for these conditions (aka, you lucky this is all that blew up). To run this type of shot, you need one of two things, A/F controller, set it to about 13:1 or even 12.5:1 or choice number two and better choice IMO, use a higher octane, racing fuel or something along those lines.

To get your car running... well replace those parts, to use a 75 shot again, run higher octane fuel. If you simply get a metal manifold, you might blow the head gasket, this is designed to take the pressure away from the engine and release it in a manner that will cause less damage.

Nice pics by the way

Last edited by Jrfish007; 04-13-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

tha zex kit shoots at wide open throttle... i mashed on tha gass and didnt go anywhere but 2 feet..
so if i replace tha manifold and my car starts up... i should be cool right?

thanks for tha info...
Old 04-13-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by onebuddha1
tha zex kit shoots at wide open throttle... i mashed on tha gass and didnt go anywhere but 2 feet..
so if i replace tha manifold and my car starts up... i should be cool right?

thanks for tha info...
Yeah, seems should just start up.
Old 04-13-2005
Boosted 04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
Wow i didnt know our manis were plastic...i always made fun of neons and **** cause they made theres of plastic. You should do the y8 manifold like caondroff
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

yup plastic
Old 04-13-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
ouch
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
do a compresion check to make sure nothing else is damaged
Old 04-13-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
uh.... seems to me that you mashed it on high gear? Just because your at wide open, it doesnt mean your at wide open. The microswitch thinks its at wide open. I think you sprayed at high gear with the wrong rpms and mashed the gas so the microswitch will activate even though your at low rpm.
Where did you put the nozzles that spray the nitrous and fuel... maybe those were also mounted wrong.
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civic_RedLine
uh.... seems to me that you mashed it on high gear? Just because your at wide open, it doesnt mean your at wide open. The microswitch thinks its at wide open. I think you sprayed at high gear with the wrong rpms and mashed the gas so the microswitch will activate even though your at low rpm.
Where did you put the nozzles that spray the nitrous and fuel... maybe those were also mounted wrong.
i think ur right... i just gained traction in first gear when i blew tha intake mani

oh and the nozzle is on my cai just below the sensor closer to the throttle body

Last edited by onebuddha1; 04-13-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2005
im stock now! T.T

you should mount your nozzles on plastic clamp that clamps the intake onto the throttle. I just put it right above the opening of the throttle. Next time, try mounting your nozzles there and not the intake.
Old 04-13-2005
im stock now! T.T

oh ****, were you running a cold-air bypass valve?
Old 04-13-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
I was wondring whos car that was on the flatbed. sux that happened bro. You need to upgrade your spark plugs. 2 ranges colder or buy zex plugs. the long narrow electrode on our stock plugs can heat up under n20 and act like a glow plug, stay hot, and ignite the air fuel before the valve is closes. On a 75 shot you should be running racing gas above 91 octane just to be safe. You cannot spray under 3500 rpm or you will puddle fuel and n20 in your intake mani. on a launch this can be difficult to do. you have to watch your tach and only got wot after 3500 rpm this is hard if you bog you motor on the launch and try to recover by smashing the gas. Sounds like the plugs where the culprit.
oh ya. nice looking car
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

i had tha zex plugs.. i felt like my car didnt like them... my car would die out from time to time... right now im running tha ngk iridium ..
Old 04-13-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
MORE FUEL.
Get a return system with an FMU
Even a plastic intake will hold if more fuel went up into the mix at the right time.
I use to ran 100 shoot till my head gasket went but the intake was fine.
Old 04-14-2005

i had tha zex plugs.. i felt like my car didnt like them... my car would die out from time to time... right now im running tha ngk iridium ..

Yeah, your car is not going to like the Zex plugs, they're to cold for the engine to work normally, but they'll save your engine when you spray that big.
Old 04-14-2005
Registered!!

HeHateMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Civic_RedLine
you should mount your nozzles on plastic clamp that clamps the intake onto the throttle. I just put it right above the opening of the throttle. Next time, try mounting your nozzles there and not the intake.
Im also running a Zex wet kit on my 2004 civic. Zex states to mount the nozzle 6" to 18" from the throttle body. Is closer better Because I mash the throttle too at launch,I have an automatic tranny The zex plugs seem to work good on my car

Old 04-14-2005
AKA Mr. 60ft. Not to be confused with Civic_Redline

Redline04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just get a $100 window switch to prevent spraying at too low and high RPMs. $100 is better than buying a new intake and anything else that screws up. Just my 2cents. Oh and if your gonna run a 75 shot run 93oct or better.
Old 04-14-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
Omg!!!
Old 04-14-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Someone make an own3d pic quick!
Old 04-14-2005
Registered!!

trahma is an unknown quantity at this point
Zex's manual says ONLY run 93 octane. Don't ever run anything less, I don't care what anyone tells you. The other thing you might want to look at is getting colder plugs directly from Honda. I know Ford offers plugs that are 1 step colder, I'd be willing to bet Honda can do the same.

The other thing I'd like to know is when you switch the bottle on. From the sounds of what happened I'd guess you weren't at high enough rpms and the nitrous / fuel detonated too close (or in) your intake manifold. Also I'd check that your injectors are okay, it's possible you melted something there as well.

Just as a reference point, I drive an 02 Focus with a vortech supercharger and run a 55 shot with it. I never spray with less than 105 octane and always after 3500 rpms. (usually after I shift into 2nd)
Old 04-14-2005

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Honda is not going to give you colder spark plugs, because we don't really have a good backing like you Ford guys have (HFP is nowhere on par with SVT or Mopar or Nismo or Ralliart), so we usually go with new Denson IK20's (Insert plug for Dezod here). He can easily get colder plugs through them.
Old 04-14-2005
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
you just fu(ked up... i have run a 80 shot for two years now with out even a hiccup
Old 04-14-2005
Registered!!

75 shot kills plastic intakes manifolds made by honda.. lol well many things went wrong but heres tha jist. i launched then gained traction. after that i shot tha 75 shot for 2 secs and everything blew up...you peeps have any idea what went wrong and what i should do to get my car up and running again?
thanks!
Did you retard your timing 4 degrees? Zex states you have to retard 4 degrees if you use the 75 shot.
Old 04-15-2005
im stock now! T.T

Originally Posted by HeHateMe
Im also running a Zex wet kit on my 2004 civic. Zex states to mount the nozzle 6" to 18" from the throttle body. Is closer better Because I mash the throttle too at launch,I have an automatic tranny The zex plugs seem to work good on my car

yeah it seemed to me that it was the best place to put it. I placed mine on the rubber clamp that holds the intake and to the throttle. Its right in between. All you need to do is make a hole on the rubber clamp. I think some people drill a hole onto to intake.

91 octane is good enough. Were not running no 100 shot here.
Old 04-15-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

you peeps have any idea what went wrong
puddling
Old 04-15-2005

^^yeap puddling then ignition and BOOM... wheres that mustang vid where this happens, we should show him lol
Old 04-15-2005
Registered!!

Here's where I put my nozzle

Quick Reply: ran 75 shot. intake manifold gone.