Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Problems with E-01

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Problems with E-01

Well i've benn getting really weird reading from my E-01 boost controller lately, i don't have the solenoid valve conected (i have the intake housing conected to the wastegate), since i really don't know how to program it, i only have the pressure sensor hoooked up, but here's the problem...

I start the carm and obiously the Meter show Negative pressure (i don't think it actually messures vacum) and i usually get a reading between -9 and -8.5 psi, at idle, lately i start it up and i get reading of -5, -4 and then when I accelerate boost goes up real fast to like 4-5 psi and you can't even hear the turbo, is the controller busted??

also i had blown my engine previously, how do i know if it was the boost controller fault, the solenoid valve fault or ir the internal wastegate is fugged....

thanks...
Old 02-28-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
hm, make sure everything is connected properly ... isn't the pressure sensor supposed to be facing up? (or was it down?)

mine read anywhere from -9 to -12 psi when idling...
Old 02-28-2005
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

I double checkes everything, and i think the manual says the sensor is suposed to be facing down...

Anyone with a Turbo Auto, how did you tune your boost controller??

Cause it says to do a full 3rd gear run from 0 (can't with an auto), do i jack up my car and place it on "2" and floor it???
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, the sensor has to face down. Did you put that little metal filter in the tee leading to the sensor? It seems strange that it would just stop working. Maybe your sensor is damaged. It seems like I remember a menu in the E0-1 where you can check sensor voltages. I don't have my car with me right now or else I would check myself. Is the sensor mounted in a place where it is exposed to excessive heat or moisture? I just recently installed mine and haven't really had a chance to mess with it yet.

As for tuning it, I think you can do it manually but it might take a number of runs and adjustments (set, gain, etc.) to get rid of boost spikes.
Old 03-01-2005
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

Originally Posted by Drk01Civic
Yeah, the sensor has to face down. Did you put that little metal filter in the tee leading to the sensor? It seems strange that it would just stop working. Maybe your sensor is damaged. It seems like I remember a menu in the E0-1 where you can check sensor voltages. I don't have my car with me right now or else I would check myself. Is the sensor mounted in a place where it is exposed to excessive heat or moisture? I just recently installed mine and haven't really had a chance to mess with it yet.

As for tuning it, I think you can do it manually but it might take a number of runs and adjustments (set, gain, etc.) to get rid of boost spikes.
Well i got it used, so i neither got the Tee or a metal filtet, and mine is bolted to the firewall ( oposite to the turbo), and it not like it stop working but i started to get diferente -PSi reading all the time......

If you could check that our about the sensor volages, i would really apreciate it, also do the negative number really mena Vaccum??
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

Ahtasham is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Mexicano, I have the same boost controller. Though my car in not an auto but I doubt that would make much of a difference. Anyway, my knowledge on the current subject is:

The number in negative is vacuum, however, the digital gauge is limited to -10 psi (from what I remember) so when your car is idiling at say -18 psi the E-01 would show it as -8 psi. I know this coz I also have mechanical boost/vacuum gauge in my car. When the car is under boost, the E-01 reads the exact same boost as on the mechanical gauge.

Your problem seems to be like an air leak from one of the pipes. Wire up all the sensors properly, check or replace the air pipes (some cracks are almost invisible). Then do a master reset on the E-01. As far as tuning it for boost it concerned, thats a seperate issue and it has nothing to do with readings you get on your digital gauge.

I got mine tuned up pretty easy like this (for 8 psi):

Step 1: Switch the E-01 to Auto Program and input 8 psi there. The Auto prog sign starts blinking on the screen.

Step 2: Ask a friend to monitor the gauge for the boost reading. While going in the third gear (driving normally) accelerate the car to FULL. As soon as the reading shows 8 psi take your foot off the pedal.

Step 3: Repeat the above procedure once again until the 'blinking Auto Prog sign' stops blinking. Thats about it. Now the E-01 knows what 8 psi is. But whenever you change your boost setting to say even 8.5 psi, you would have to repeat the whole process again.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

Pedro Lopes is an unknown quantity at this point
wow I can't wait to set mine up. This boost controller has a lot of features, I think it's too much.
Old 03-02-2005
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

Ahtasham, thanks a lot, really apreciate the help, i'll go get on it right away, You rock,....
Old 03-02-2005
Registered!!

Ahtasham is an unknown quantity at this point
No problemo buddy, let me know if you were able to solve the problem!