Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Internals for 100 Shot

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomola is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Internals for 100 Shot

I will be installing the ZEX Wet Nitrous Kit, next weekend. I will get it Dyno tuned for a 55 Shot to begin with.

What would be the most important internal element to upgrade firstly? From my research done on Nitrous I gather a good set of Forged Pistons?
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

Pb4uGo is an unknown quantity at this point
Nitrous is going to beat up on your pistons and rings more than anything else, but if you are planning on doing internals, do it all at once and save yourself the trouble of opening the engine any more than neccesary.

Big problem that all d-series have including the D17 is the factory headbolts stretching which leads to blown head gaskets. ARP hardware from a D16z6 along with a good stout gasket will help to prevent that.

Lastly, don't build your engine for a 100 shot. Spray 75 as much as you want, but if you are going to go through the trouble of building the engine, you might as well boost it or just swap it and then spray on a K-series. If you insist on making it a built hose car with a D17, you better be running direct port with a metal intake manifold, and a box full of extra solenoids to replace the burnt out ones from cycling them so much with the progressive control you'll need to hook a front wheel drive with more than 200 worth of hose.
Old 01-26-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pb4uGo
Nitrous is going to beat up on your pistons and rings more than anything else, but if you are planning on doing internals, do it all at once and save yourself the trouble of opening the engine any more than neccesary.

Big problem that all d-series have including the D17 is the factory headbolts stretching which leads to blown head gaskets. ARP hardware from a D16z6 along with a good stout gasket will help to prevent that.

Lastly, don't build your engine for a 100 shot. Spray 75 as much as you want, but if you are going to go through the trouble of building the engine, you might as well boost it or just swap it and then spray on a K-series. If you insist on making it a built hose car with a D17, you better be running direct port with a metal intake manifold, and a box full of extra solenoids to replace the burnt out ones from cycling them so much with the progressive control you'll need to hook a front wheel drive with more than 200 worth of hose.
what this guy said
Old 01-26-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
has anyone even done a 100 shot on a d17 yet?
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

kezay is an unknown quantity at this point
I also want to know
Old 01-27-2005
Registered!!

HiVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up From Puerto Rico 100 Shot

Here in Puerto Rico i saw a 7th gen civic do 13.8 in 1/4 mile with a 100 shot of nitrous
Old 01-27-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by allmotor
has anyone even done a 100 shot on a d17 yet?
You can do a 100 shot, the question you need to ask is how many times.
Old 01-27-2005
Registered!!

kikoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i did once on my civic......blew the intake manifold in three parts......anyway i used to spray 75 on mine and it did well......just make sure you don't lean out your A/F/N ratio.......and a good idea also will be a nice set of tires and a meaty cltch or a good torque converter.....
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

Thanx for the info 'Pb4uGo'. I shall get some parts to rectifiy the stretching bolt problem/gaskets.

Tune her up for a 75 Shot 950Psi sharp and leave it at that. Pretty much stock I/E no Headers.
Old 01-29-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tomola
Thanx for the info 'Pb4uGo'. I shall get some parts to rectifiy the stretching bolt problem/gaskets.

Tune her up for a 75 Shot 950Psi sharp and leave it at that. Pretty much stock I/E no Headers.

Just a tip... You may want to remove your cat. I know it illegal, but running N2O makes lots of NO with an O2 rich enviroment, this will plug you cat hence creating tremendous back pressure on your engine. Not only will losse lots of power, but you may blow off your cat or some other piece of you exhuast system. At very least after a few shots, your cat will start to deterate and loose effeicny, so why not just take it out and save it for inspection time? My advise is to put a racing test pipe in there, then put your cat back in for any inspections. You may also want to put a free flowing muffler on you car to help reduce backpressure when it's on the bottle. This will drop you 1-2 hp in normal driving, but may just save you during spaying.

If you live in area where cops can randomly expect you, take you cat and put into a box and put in your trunk, then if cop says somehting about you not haveing a cat, just say your OEM cat got plugged and you just got this used one from a junkyard (show him the box with the cat in it) and say you are going to put it on this weekend, it worked for me
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

Sweet... Thanx for the tip bro
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all

Dont forget about the fuel system, I would highly recommend a new fuel pump and a vafc or safc. 75 shot wet system with 950 psi bottle pressure is going to create a lean condition with the stock fuel set up.
Old 01-29-2005
Boosted Auto Sedan Project In Progress

02sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
if your gonna spray dont forget to prey

lol

always leary about that
Old 01-30-2005
Registered!!

Yes safc (non-vtec). For example what would be the settings for adding fuel whilst spraying. Does the Apexi safc II allow to change between to seperate settings? Eg. Nos run and just normal tight tuned AFR.
Old 01-30-2005
AKA Mr. 60ft. Not to be confused with Civic_Redline

Redline04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please post dyno #"s when you get them. I am very interested to see how much a ZEX 55 shot at 950psi actually puts down to the wheels. I've heard many people say their 55 shot is rated at the wheels, but never seen any Dyno #'s. Hopefully you can dispell or verify these rumors.
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

Yeah sure... I will post up my current Dyno figures with my current setup and then the comparison when I get the 55 Shot.
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

2 DYNO Pics of a stock Civic 2 weeks off the showroom floor after 1k Service.

The Next day a Run with an Exhaust stock extractors back 2.5" All the way with a High Flow Cat + Rampod Intake.

4.2 KW Increase for $**** dollars? Dam can't wait till I get some real power from the Nitrous SETUP!!!

Whats the formula for working out power at the wheels on the '04 vic? These numbers are at the engine!?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno_stock_IE.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	46385   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno_stock_IE_AFR.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	46386  
Old 01-31-2005
AKA Mr. 60ft. Not to be confused with Civic_Redline

Redline04 is an unknown quantity at this point
at the engine? That seems pretty low to be at the engine. It says power at the wheel/s on the dyno sheet which seems more reasonable to me. Are you gonna do a before and after the day you do your ZEX? As i stated before I am very interested to see what gains are to be had from the zex 55shot.

Last edited by Redline04; 01-31-2005 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2005

2 DYNO Pics of a stock Civic 2 weeks off the showroom floor after 1k Service.

The Next day a Run with an Exhaust stock extractors back 2.5" All the way with a High Flow Cat + Rampod Intake.

4.2 KW Increase for $**** dollars? Dam can't wait till I get some real power from the Nitrous SETUP!!!

Whats the formula for working out power at the wheels on the '04 vic? These numbers are at the engine!?
Are you sure that is from the engine (actually they measure from the fly wheel). But I just don't see someone removing the entire engine from a civic after two weeks to dyno a stock engine, not to metion that when you pull the motor and measure the power at the flywheel, it doesn't have an axhaust.

The only formula for going from the flywheel to the wheels is this:
if you have an auto, 20% of your power gets ate by the drive tranny, so a motor that make 100hp and 100 ft-lb will make 80 hp and 80 ft-lb.

if you have a manual, you have about a 16% drive train loss, so agian with the 100 hp at the flywheel, the power to the tires is 84 hp.

These are just generalization though that have been applies to all cars. I am not aware how closly Honda's follow these rules of thumb, but I see no reason why they would be any different than most car, they are not exact, but they can give you a rough estimation of the power being made by the engine.
Old 01-31-2005
Registered!!

The power on my Dyno is at the Wheels!! I went the wrong way round! So Ok I'm making 69.6 Kw at the wheels. So will see the diff after a 55 shot ZEX Kit.