Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

turbo or nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04civicdx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question turbo or nitrous

hi i am a nood and was just wondering what should i get turbo or nitrous. my boy says nitrous but a guy that has a 7thgen in del says he is happy with his sf kit so i just was woundering. i have no mony yet but just picked up a 2nd job to start saving for one of them

Last edited by 04civicdx; 01-12-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
i say do a swap....but outta those 2 i would go Turbo > Nitrous.
Old 01-12-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
i say get the nx 75 shot wet kit, then when u get tired of spraying on ur d17 then get the k20a2 with bolt-ons and just put the 75 on that. You can also get k-pro and tune it with the 75shot.
Old 01-12-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
^^I couldnt have said it better myself. Nitrous>Turbo
Old 01-12-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
no money + wanna be fast = n2o
Old 01-12-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
haha, well nitrous isnt that cheap either if you're buying your stuff brandnew. A full NX wet GenX kit w/ remote opener is gonna run you about $1200, which doesnt include the other stuff you need, but yeah thats still significantly cheaper than what you'd pay boosting our d17 work-horse/throw away engine.
Old 01-12-2005
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
Originally Posted by allmotor
i say get the nx 75 shot wet kit, then when u get tired of spraying on ur d17 then get the k20a2 with bolt-ons and just put the 75 on that. You can also get k-pro and tune it with the 75shot.
lol dude you act like a k20 is 500 dollars. Let's be realistic and answer the mans question
Old 01-12-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by thiscrackerntam
^^I couldnt have said it better myself. Nitrous>Turbo
and no it doesn't ...not in this situation.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

jackal903 is an unknown quantity at this point
i like turbo a lot better....bov sound awsome....
and Nitrous just make me uncomfortable counting by shots.....it will make me feel lost money after using 1 shot.
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

AceAltima is an unknown quantity at this point
spaaaaaaaaaare me

if you ask a question like nawz vs turbo, you obvioulsy don't do car homework, so I'd suggest to you a nitro kit...you won't kill yourself with the install and there are tons of people who spray...plus you'll be the idol of 10-18 year old guys who live their live by 2f2f

lol

Anywho, in all reality tho, if you even hafta ask that question you shouldn't even worry, just get the kit...

even tough a turbo car is nice, it just seems that the d17 can't be enjoyed without building your motor...while some guys can be content at 6 psi, i certainly couldn't...

however like most, do your HOMEWORK before you get either...both require knowledge to use correctly and safely....if you have any turbo questions though, ask me, and I'll try to help...any Nitrous questions be sure to ask 'thiscracerkntam'...he's gotten high of the laughy gas and is IMO the resident squeeze guru

BTW: Never ever buy a turbo kit just for a BOV and never admit thats the only reason you like them....keep playing need for speed homo
Old 01-12-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
I paid about 500 for the complete Edelbrock kit. I say, if you have the money go with turbo, if not then go with nitro.

Just be careful with nitrous.
Old 01-12-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr.Modify
i say do a swap....but outta those 2 i would go Turbo > Nitrous.
lol dude you act like a k20 is 500 dollars. Let's be realistic and answer the mans question
and no it doesn't ...not in this situation.
Sounds like you're contradicting yourself a bit there.... Anyway, perhaps you're not understanding my point of view here. I feel as though the D17 isnt really worth the cost of a turbo setup. On the other hand I feel the K20 is, but to decide which is better for the D17, I say nitrous because its cheaper and faster on the drag for the most part. Its certainly not a bad route to take IMO, atleast until you can save for a swap which is what I plan to start doing very soon. Plus the nitrous kit can always be used after the swap is done and the same does not hold true for the turbo.

Last edited by thiscrackerntam; 01-12-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2005
Boosting Daily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
AceAltima couldn't have said it better!
Old 01-12-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by AceAltima
spaaaaaaaaaare me

if you ask a question like nawz vs turbo, you obvioulsy don't do car homework, so I'd suggest to you a nitro kit...you won't kill yourself with the install and there are tons of people who spray...plus you'll be the idol of 10-18 year old guys who live their live by 2f2f

lol

Anywho, in all reality tho, if you even hafta ask that question you shouldn't even worry, just get the kit...

even tough a turbo car is nice, it just seems that the d17 can't be enjoyed without building your motor...while some guys can be content at 6 psi, i certainly couldn't...

however like most, do your HOMEWORK before you get either...both require knowledge to use correctly and safely....if you have any turbo questions though, ask me, and I'll try to help...any Nitrous questions be sure to ask 'thiscracerkntam'...he's gotten high of the laughy gas and is IMO the resident squeeze guru

BTW: Never ever buy a turbo kit just for a BOV and never admit thats the only reason you like them....keep playing need for speed homo

I appreciate the good comments. I've been successful using a nitrous wet kit on the 7th gen for sometime now without any additional fuel management and while I think most of that is due to the choice of the best kit for the car (IMO), proper install, and some common sense...it does help a lot when you have friends who have been using nitrous for a long time. If it werent for them, I dont know if I would have ever tried it. I may have been discouraged or a little nervous to try it like a lot of people are. You definitely gain the most knowledge about nitrous by using it and getting experience with it, but that goes the same with everything. You just have to use your brain and be careful..
Old 01-12-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
i wasnt saying anything like that mr modify. I meant to say was when he gets tired of spraying on his d and has a enough money for the k20a2 he can swap it in and get i/h/e and k-pro tune it with the 75 shot and go from there. I never said it was gonna be cheap.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ha Ha. AceAltima.

Yeah, just go with nitrous.
Old 01-13-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
hey drk let me buy that strut bar off u
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

i have read every thing on this site about nitrous and allmost every thing about turbo .so i did my reading and i think i might go with the n20 than save for a swap .i mean my boy from del with the sf kit could not beat my other boys srt4 .so why spend all that mony and still get beat by a srt4
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

o thanks for the help if i need any more help i will ask and thanks agen
Old 01-13-2005
Boosting Daily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
If you decide to go with nitrous....go with a wet shot, AND start with the lowest possible shot to gain experience, etc. Also, never spray in 5th, and always spray above 3000rpms.......and pray you don't miss shift with a WOT sprayer actuator....
Old 01-13-2005
Banned

^^I personally think that the "dont spray in 5th" rule is maybe just a myth. Old and false folklore if you wanna call it that. I know quite a few guys on here including myself who have sprayed in 5th and never broke anything. 5th gear is not that tall of a gear, atleast not in the ex models it isnt. Oh and another thing...if spraying in 5th gear on our little cars were so harsh then NX wouldve put it in their installation manuals as one of their precautions along with the long list they made and they never have and probabaly never will because like I said, I think its just a myth.

Last edited by thiscrackerntam; 01-13-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by EternalBlue_Vic
and pray you don't miss shift with a WOT sprayer actuator....
That doesnt necessarily mean anything at all. Thats we have rev limiters. I've miss shifted before going into 3rd, and I've bounced off the rev limiter while spraying which totally sucks, but again this doesnt necessarily mean anything bad is going to happen.

Last edited by thiscrackerntam; 01-13-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

thankes for all the info what n20 kit do i get i know a wet system ?what do i have to do to run a 75 shot? I mean what mods. i know to start small than move up but when i get to that level what do i need
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

agen thanks for all the info
Old 01-13-2005
Banned

What you have to do to run a 75 shot safely depends on the nitrous kit itself, how much care was taken into making sure it was properly installed, and how careful you are using it in general. If you go with nitrous express, all u need is i/h/e. A vafc/safc is recommended but it isnt detrimental to the life of your engine if you dont have one. I dont have one and I've been spraying nothing but a 75 for over a year and no probs. A new clutch should also be added to the list after a while if you're going to be spraying alot.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

the nx kit what one do you have like what part # so i get the right one . and i am new to inports . my last car was a bagged 91 couger siten on 20s so what is a vafc or safc . remeber i have a non vtec d17 .and thanks thiscrakernatam for replyto my
?

Last edited by 04civicdx; 01-13-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2005
Banned

Sorry I dont have a part number, but I can tell you that there is only one kit made by nitrous express for our cars so dont worry, there wont be any mix up. Just do a search on google for Nitrous Express stage1 EFI for imports. Also look for the NX gen-X2 accessory kit. As far as the safc and the vafc go theres no difference except the vafc has a vtec controller which is why its called a vafc...so you'll be ok with getting the safc since yours is non-vtec.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

thanks know all i need is cash

Last edited by 04civicdx; 01-13-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
How bout both? =)
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

hay thiscrakerntam what is the diff from a safc and a safc2 and modcar has a nx kit for 565 is that cheap sorry about all the ? but i whant to know what i am getting my self in to and how much i need to save and thank you for all your help thiscrakerntam

Last edited by 04civicdx; 01-13-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: turbo or nitrous