Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

For a basic turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cbaer543 is an unknown quantity at this point
For a basic turbo setup

Im pretty sure this is what I need to make a turbo kit work but correct me if Im wrong.

Oil feed line
E-manage
turbo manifold
turbine
intercooler
intercooler piping
BOV
turbo timer
boost controller

thanks
Old 12-27-2004
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
downpipe, injectors would help for fuel flow, new air filter w/ piping, missing link check valve...
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

cbaer543 is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought I read that the e-manage would take care of the missing link but I could be wrong.
Old 12-28-2004
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil return line, fittings, wastegate (if the turbo is not internally wastegated), you dun really need the missing link unless you're gonna run more than 8psi. D/P, exhaust would be helpful too.
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
You can also check out the thread I just posted on my turbo setup.
here:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=189427

Most of those are basic components for a turbo system.
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

AceAltima is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cbaer543
Im pretty sure this is what I need to make a turbo kit work but correct me if Im wrong.

Oil feed line
E-manage
turbo manifold
turbine
intercooler
intercooler piping
BOV
turbo timer
boost controller

thanks
If you're just looking for the barebones, you just basically need an internally gated turbo, turbo downpipe to connect to your exhaust, oil feed and return line, correct heatrange spark plugs, blow off valve, intercooler and intercooler piping...you can also use a new intake for your turbo, but you don't ness need one...some guys just put some squirrell/bird gaurd over the intake and run it...and lastly some form of tuner/fuel managment (whether it be SAFC or The Emanage or ETC programs

However, like the members above stated, there are alot of items they you SHOULD get to ensure longevity of your motor and to boost safely at higher PSI

Those items include:
Fuel Pump, Larger Injectors, (New Fuel Rail if the you get injectors that don't bolt into factory rail - im' not 100% sure on your application), FPR, and return line would be helpful as well to run a more 'stable/bulletproof' fuel setup, and a larger (2.5"+)freeflow exhaust to keep backpressure at a minimum...you also at this stage could look into a nice mechanical boost gauge to turn it up a lil (remember tho, keep it at a minimum at this point still)

However remember with larger injectors you will need some sort of application to control them and enable you to use them...Emanage will do this, as well as the AFC, but you must check how much bigger you want to go, as both the above programs can only control injectors a certain percentage higher than stock

Now for the juice: If you're really serious about your turbo car (at least this side of internal work) could get the following items...again these are not nessecerally needed, and can also be used at lower levels on the list..:

Larger turbo with external wastegate (remember tho, bigger doesn't always = better...sometimes a nicely set up t28 will be more fun/faster than a larger t3/t04b or e - while it won't be a dyno HP monster, it will enable a much stronger total powerband instead of just high RPM pull), missing link, emanage fuel management, 3" exhaust, electronic boost controller (i prefer the greddy profec B spec 1), turbo timer (not needed, as you can just sit in your car and wait, or drive at a low rpm a mile or 2 before you shut off)

I'm sure I missed few things, but this should give you a general idea...other items I would consider would be bigger/better brakes for your car (Carbotech, Hawk pads only), better/aftermarket tires, and engine internal work for serious boosters...

As always tho, you also should always consider cost+cause...I mean we all love our cars but we all should realize what is excessive...I've met a point on my Altima where I know i'm not gonna dump any more money into it, as Im' going to upgrade vehicals and motors...not that mine is weak, it's just not worthwhile to have a boost monster motor in a u13 altima chassis...thisi is also soethign to consider in your car...not that the d series are bad, but there always other options you can consider that would be more fun persay...but to each his own right ?

Happy Boosting@!