Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

VTEC engagement and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004
Skyline R33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guns is an unknown quantity at this point
VTEC engagement and Turbo

I got a crazy PM from a honda service guy. I will leave out the name to protect the inocent. I have a VAFC2 and know when my VTEC kicks in. The guy views the boards. Can others who have VAFC2 explain to this guy that vtec engages at 3K on the D17. He has sent me 3pm's telling me I dont know **** and that all VTEC kicks at 4.5k and that I must be smoking crack or something.

Also if I am wrong please correct me so I dont look like a complete ***. But I know I am right. So flame if you would like. No sweat. My D17 is in parts anyways.

Also not too be an a know it all or anything. I dont think I have heard anything right from a honda authorized person yet. When I bought my EX I was told it was the same engine as the base RSX. I am sorry most people at the dealer probably cant change their own oil.

.No you do not know what you are talking about. I work in a Honda parts department so I think I know a ting or two. First Off what I am about to say is directly from a Honda tech manual for D series engines equip with v-tec.

First off you cannot hit vtec at 2500 RPM because your engine is making only about 35 of oil psi.
Second you have to have 100% Throttle because 50% throttle only sends 3 volts.

The only reason you are hitting vtec at 2500 is because you set your VAFCII to that RPM. Your VAFCII is a type of ECU hack that bypasses the ECU and sends a 12-volt signal directly to the vtec solenoid.

Also for your sake you should not hit vtec at such low RPM’s it is bad for your motor to be in vtec without the proper oil psi, this is why Honda puts a 4500 minimum into every ECU. They did it for a reason.

Normal v-tec engagement happens from 5200-5500 on any Honda.

If you don’t believe me, go pick up a Honda service manual yourself or ask a Honda tech. While I wrote this I talked with one of my buddies that is a Certified Honda Tech and he verified every figure.

Last edited by guns; 10-15-2004 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by guns
I got a crazy PM from a honda service guy. I will leave out the name to protect the inocent. I have a VAFC2 and know when my VTEC kicks in. The guy views the boards. Can others who have VAFC2 explain to this guy that vtec engages at 3K on the D17. He has sent me 3pm's telling me I dont know **** and that all VTEC kicks at 4.5k and that I must be smoking crack or something.

Also if I am wrong please correct me so I dont look like a complete ***. But I know I am right. So flame if you would like. No sweat. My D17 is in parts anyways.

Also not too be an a know it all or anything. I dont think I have heard anything right from a honda authorized person yet. When I bought my EX I was told it was the same engine as the base RSX. I am sorry most people at the dealer probably cant change their own oil.

Hate to say it, but the guy is right.
Old 10-15-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Do you believe him or the ecu? Stock vtec engagement as output by the ecu. I have not tuned my controler yet.

Old 10-15-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I always thought is was a 4.5 approx. But I'm not sure this is based on stuff I read on the net.
Old 10-15-2004
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
ya didnt a bunch of guys do that vtec light thing and it came on at 3k rpms.
Old 10-15-2004

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
Is it the same engaugement point on B serise engines too?
Old 10-15-2004
Skyline R33

Originally Posted by gearbox
Do you believe him or the ecu? Stock vtec engagement as output by the ecu. I have not tuned my controler yet.

Thank you. I fine tune using VAFC2 and I leave VTEC controlled by ECU(best way) and it monitors when the ECU kicks it in. Well guess what it kicks in at 3k.

Like someone else also said. Ask the guys who have done the DIY vtec light. VTEC kicks in at 3k.

Damn Dezod you should know this already. I guess emanage does not have a vtec light.
Old 10-15-2004
Skyline R33

Originally Posted by HyaBoosta
Is it the same engaugement point on B serise engines too?
Our vtec is nothing like the B ro K series. I was running a custom cam and still felt no vtec kick. I only gained some topend after 5k.
Old 10-15-2004
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Properly configured, the VTEC transition point will not be evident, even in a B series. The only exception is in large cams that have a significant difference in lobe size. Most hondas have different VTEC activation points as the motor configuration is different.

Mr. Honda Parts Guy, I recommend you learn how to correctly express your feelings towards guns using proper english, because all it does is make you look like an idiot.

No you do not know what you are talking about. I work in a Honda parts department so I think I know a ting or two. First Off what I am about to say is directly from a Honda tech manual for D series engines equip with v-tec.
Ok, a "ting" is not a word. "Thing," on the other hand, is. And if you work at a honda dealership, why do you mistype VTEC? It's not v-tec.
Old 10-15-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
yup... hook up a vtec light to your vtec solenoid. Depending on throttle pressure, it kicks in earlier or later ... (~2200 for hard throttle, ~3400 or so on very light throttle) ... and vtec is ALWAYS on past about 67 mph ... which would equate to about 3400 rpms (in 5th)
Old 10-15-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by guns
Damn Dezod you should know this already. I guess emanage does not have a vtec light.
All previous Honda motors I have encountered are in the 4000-5300 rpm range with the proper oil pressure, load and such

Several criteria have to be met for VTEC to engage, it is not just RPM dependent as many of you claim. I have personally read some of the service manuals for various years of Hondas. This is regardless of your DYI VTEC light, which I do not feel is THAT accurate. Take a Honda ECU onboard diagnostics machine into the car and go for a drive and let it data log. That machine will tell you if the ECU signals for VTEC engagement, it may signal at 3000 rpms or so, but it may not kick in because of other parameters not being met...load, rpm, oil pressure.....

Reason why I know this is because it happened to me when I was trying to configure the E-Manage for VTEC controlling, but it did not engage at all.

Last edited by dezod; 10-15-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-15-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
nm..
Old 10-15-2004
Premium Member

CivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enoughCivicSouldjaEX will become famous soon enough
so what's the naswer?
Old 10-15-2004
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
To what?
Old 10-15-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Engagement is at 3k rpms. Now if the engine is cold, I've heard it won't switch to hi cam mode. It can also be variable, depending on the throttle position and/or rpms. And if you have a 6th gen D series, the vtec can be heard as a kind of whistle/supercharger sound around 3k if you hold it in gear above that rpm. They eliminated this on our cars as supposedly making it better. So now you don't hear anything.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

FingerJ is an unknown quantity at this point
v-tec dose not hit at 2000-3000 rpm it is always above 4500 more like 5200 or 5500 on SOHC or DOHC
Old 10-15-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

^^ my friend has a 99ex and his vtec engages at 5500 rpms ... according to his vtec light (you can hear it as well ... YES YOU CAN HEAR IT). fyi, d16z6 and d16y8 vtec is 3 lobe vtec, which is why you can (slightly) hear it. by NO means is it anywhere close to as loud as b16's, etc ... but it is definitely audible while driving.

dezod: why do you think a vtec light is inaccurate? ... when the vtec solenoid gets a signal, it activates vtec, true? I don't see why vtec lights are inaccurate at all
Old 10-15-2004

And if you have a 6th gen D series, the vtec can be heard as a kind of whistle/supercharger sound around 3k if you hold it in gear above that rpm. They eliminated this on our cars as supposedly making it better. So now you don't hear anything.
Don't blast me please but My engine whistles at least sounds like there is a turbine spinning. Is that possible, I'm stock D17A2?
Old 10-15-2004
Premium Member

Yeah I actually notice an electric motor sound from 1-4k rpms. After that, the engine sound changes.

The hi vtec engagement you guys are thinking of is for the 99-00 SI DOHC. My friend has a 99ex and vtec switches around 3k.
Old 10-15-2004

I've also noticed that if you sit on the pasenger side the engine is much quieter. I wonder how our car sounds to other people outside when its being reved high.
Old 10-15-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

The hi vtec engagement you guys are thinking of is for the 99-00 SI DOHC. My friend has a 99ex and vtec switches around 3k.
unless your friend swapped a d17a2 in there, his vtec engages at 5500, like the Si. you should wire a vtec light to his car
Old 10-15-2004
Once boosted now i-VTEC

C Orndorff is an unknown quantity at this point
I am the Honda guy Guns is talking about and he totally changed my words around in his quote. Also I did not come out of nowhere and start yelling at him about v-tec he started it almost two weeks ago. This is what I said.

“What I am about to say is directly from a Honda tech manual for D series engines equip with v-tec.

The following things have to happen for v-tec to engage on a STOCK (not VAFCII equip motor) D motor.

1 Your MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor must read 0hg (aka 0 inches of vacuum). When it reads this it will send a 3volt signal to the ECU.

2. Your throttle has to be open 100% because your TPS sensor has to send a 4.5-volt signal to the ECU.

3. Your coolant temp has to be at running temp.

4. Vehicle speed has to be above 20mph.

5. You have to have 65-80 oil psi.

6. The engine must be running at a minimum of 4500 RPM

When all of this happens your ECU sends a 12-volt signal to your v-tec solenoid that activates your 4 lock Motion assembly’s (or if you have DOHC 8 LMA’s because SOHC has vtec on the intake only)

First off you cannot hit v-tec at 2500 RPM because your engine is making only about 35 of oil psi.

The only reason you are hitting vtec at 2500 is because you set your VAFCII is set to that RPM. Your VAFCII is a type of ECU hack that bypasses the ECU and sends a 12-volt signal directly to the v-tec solenoid.

If you don’t believe me, go pick up a Honda service manual yourself or ask a Honda tech. While I wrote this I talked with one of my buddies that is a Certified Honda Tech and he verified every figure.”
Old 10-15-2004
Premium Member

So you have to have the throttle fully open for it to engage? That means my vtec has only switched a few times in the three years I've driven the car. I don't buy that. I still see a signal being sent. I DO have a service manual. Some Honda techs don't even know what a timing belt is.
Old 10-15-2004
Once boosted now i-VTEC

C Orndorff is an unknown quantity at this point
You have to send a 4.5volt signal from your TPS to the ECU.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
my vtec dont kick in until 5 something.

Last edited by exturbo6; 10-15-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

FingerJ is an unknown quantity at this point
My v-tec has never hit below 4500 and never at 1/2 throttle. caorndorff is right.
Old 10-15-2004
Premium Member

Okay and you guys know this how?
Old 10-15-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

vtec can crossover at any rpm ... look at the 02 Si

it can crossover at ANY throttle. How? get in a b16, b18c powered anything and get up to a certain rpm, typically around 5500-6000 depending on the car, you'll see ... you can HEAR it and FEEL it

depending on throttle pressure, the engagement rpm may change, but it still crosses over under a given rpm

Last edited by aznboysrfr; 10-15-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2004
First to spool

riceburnrex has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by caorndorff
I am the Honda guy Guns is talking about and he totally changed my words around in his quote. Also I did not come out of nowhere and start yelling at him about v-tec he started it almost two weeks ago. This is what I said.

“What I am about to say is directly from a Honda tech manual for D series engines equip with v-tec.

The following things have to happen for v-tec to engage on a STOCK (not VAFCII equip motor) D motor.

1 Your MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor must read 0hg (aka 0 inches of vacuum). When it reads this it will send a 3volt signal to the ECU.

2. Your throttle has to be open 100% because your TPS sensor has to send a 4.5-volt signal to the ECU.

3. Your coolant temp has to be at running temp.

4. Vehicle speed has to be above 20mph.

5. You have to have 65-80 oil psi.

6. The engine must be running at a minimum of 4500 RPM

When all of this happens your ECU sends a 12-volt signal to your v-tec solenoid that activates your 4 lock Motion assembly’s (or if you have DOHC 8 LMA’s because SOHC has vtec on the intake only)

First off you cannot hit v-tec at 2500 RPM because your engine is making only about 35 of oil psi.

The only reason you are hitting vtec at 2500 is because you set your VAFCII is set to that RPM. Your VAFCII is a type of ECU hack that bypasses the ECU and sends a 12-volt signal directly to the v-tec solenoid.

If you don’t believe me, go pick up a Honda service manual yourself or ask a Honda tech. While I wrote this I talked with one of my buddies that is a Certified Honda Tech and he verified every figure.”
This guy is exactly correct. I'm looking at the Honda Factory Service/Repair/Diagnostics manual for my 01 right now, and under "Troubleshooting: VTEC will not engage" it says to hook up voltmeters to all the sensors caorndorff just said, and it says that if one of those conditions is not met, then VTEC will not engage. All of the above conditions must be met, including the RPMs. I've also used an oil pressure gauge on my car, and it does not hit 65psi until 3700 rpms or so, so the RPM's must be at least that to engage VTEC.

You guys talking about the B series... you do know that most of those motors also have secondary intake runners, right? Those butterflies do not have to have anything but RPM and throttle % to engage, and the RPM point is lower than VTEC engagement. That's what you're hearing with the whistling sound.
Old 10-15-2004
First to spool

riceburnrex has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
vtec can crossover at any rpm ... look at the 02 Si

it can crossover at ANY throttle. How? get in a b16, b18c powered anything and get up to a certain rpm, typically around 5500-6000 depending on the car, you'll see ... you can HEAR it and FEEL it

depending on throttle pressure, the engagement rpm may change, but it still crosses over under a given rpm
The 02+ Si's VTEC system is NOTHING like the D17's or any other D series for that matter. Nothing is comparable. It does not work the same at all.

Quick Reply: VTEC engagement and Turbo