Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Head Gasket Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
Head Gasket Feedback

Im putting the finishing touches up on the pieces on my turbo kit and im looking to get a solid head gasket that will hold 10psi. i know there is the Nippon leakless gasket and the KMS gasket. does anyone own either of theses and how is it holding up? also how much and where did you get it from.
Old 09-03-2004

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
word ^

I need the same info
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
havent put my kms on but it looks like its very high quality they recommend their blockguard with it though. It almost looks like the stock one but its 3 thin layers instead of one. I think its so when the head and block contract it will kinda almost flex with them. Seems good but its expensive at $110 everytime you take off the head. OEM gaskets are supposed to be pretty descent and someone told me they were like $40 and good till like 10-12 psi. I dunno how much truth there is to that though.
Old 09-03-2004

yeah i wouldn't want to chance an OEM at 10psi. can you take pics of the KMS?
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
ok not much to see though
Old 09-03-2004

thanks i just wanna compare the kms and nippon one
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

You might be a redneck if......you turn your spare bedroom into an automotive workshop hehe here's the pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KMSstuffsm.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	37305   Click image for larger version

Name:	KMSHGsm.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	37306   Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadandKMSvalvessm.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	37307  
Old 09-03-2004

thanks it looks pretty dam good. does anyone have pics of the nippon?
Old 09-03-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
sorry bro but the gasket in the first and second pic is the OEM one.
The stock gasket is 3 layers. Unless he changed the material in the center, he just sold you the nippon one.
Old 09-03-2004

anyone else know if this is the stock one? i've never had to take the head off yet so i haven't seen it.
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

its not in my car I can take pics of the oem one that just came out of my car single layer.
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

LOL im a dumbass. They were stuck together, my bad I found the difference though the raised rings that seal everything are much wider that even the squished oem ones. Phew I thought I got ripped off for a minute
Old 09-03-2004
Registered!!

thanks for lookin out for me DJmota
Old 09-03-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
thanks for lookin out for me DJmota
Thats cool ,had me scared for a sec that another shady vendor was out ther .
Glad it worked out.
Old 09-03-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I'm using the nippon leakless for a few months with a milled head (1mm) and no leaks. It's good to have sortof a weaker gasket with turbo so you know when something bad happens before the problem gets worse. Better to have the gasket blow than other problems.
Old 09-03-2004

yeah but when your gasket blows you have a good chance that your head is going to warp then you have to get the head machined.
Old 09-03-2004

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
I'm using the nippon leakless for a few months with a milled head (1mm) and no leaks. It's good to have sortof a weaker gasket with turbo so you know when something bad happens before the problem gets worse. Better to have the gasket blow than other problems.
Gearbox you hit it.
Think of the gasket as a fuse, under pressure is best if the gasket goes and not a piston or valve.

Also, proper installation:
torque sequence + lbs must be done right (see service manual)
Use bronze gasket seal and ARP head studs.
I'm using the NIPON gasket recomended OEM they will hold up to 12lbs.
A good installation will make booth gaskets work just fine.
Old 09-03-2004

never thought of it that way. good info guys. but is it safe to say that the kms would be a stronger gasket to run?
Old 09-03-2004

supermex where did you get your nippon? and how much?
Old 09-03-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
nippon from majestic honda...

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...catdisplay.jsp

Supermex is right. There is a very specific way to install the bolts when putting the head back on. Also you need new bolts (10) for around $10 each for $100 total. Also available from Honda. Let me know and I'll look for the specs in the service manual.
Old 09-03-2004

100 bucks you could get the ARP head bolts for that price. I looked up majestic honda but it doesn't name the head gasket. there is one that says it's 119.00 but just calls it a head gasket. Is thats the nippon?
Old 09-03-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I have the Nippon gasket and it's the best thing... I've run it with NO PUMP at 8psi!!! (accident of course), but that's happened numerous times and the car still runs fine. The gasket is strong as hell
Old 09-03-2004
Premium Member

It specifies nippon leakless. Look under 2001, civic, cylinder head.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...EAD+%28VTEC%29
Old 09-04-2004

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
so u need gasket $30....bolts $??? and dont u need service manual for this also....also I heard someone talking about doubling up the gasket and running two...I want to change it out so I can up the boost....oh btw, how do u know if u have a blown headgasket anyways? PLEASE DONT FLAME ME
Old 09-04-2004
Premium Member

If it's blown, your car will start leaking fluids (coolant). I think it's if you see antifreeze in the oil or something.

Don't know if you can double it, although maybe to lower compression. The bolts you need to get new if you're pulling off the head. The old ones stretch and won't last long if you reuse em. They're $10 each and you need 10 bolts total, so $100. Or look into the ARP bolts since they're supposed to be better and stronger for boost.
Old 09-04-2004

wow i thought the nippon leakless was gonna be alot more. only 22.00 im def. gonna buy this. then all i need to find arp head bolts.
Old 09-04-2004
Registered!!

Dapper can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by gearbox
If it's blown, your car will start leaking fluids (coolant). I think it's if you see antifreeze in the oil or something.

Don't know if you can double it, although maybe to lower compression. The bolts you need to get new if you're pulling off the head. The old ones stretch and won't last long if you reuse em. They're $10 each and you need 10 bolts total, so $100. Or look into the ARP bolts since they're supposed to be better and stronger for boost.

ok thats a myth. maybe holds true in the past.
BUT I have changed my headgasket 4 times. and Used the same bolts each time. Last time i did them was 6 months ago. since then i changed to k22's(regapped them also) , and pure methanol (118).... at 13psi the headgasket has been HOLDING STRONG, and its Daily Abused- Not driven. Btw, I changed
my alky injection to turn on at 10psi and up, its just Not needed before then.

... iv been turbo'd for a year and a half now alteast.
Old 09-04-2004

yeah i think i'll put out the extra money and hold off a little till I get new spark plugs,gasket and head bolts.
Old 09-04-2004

JetBlu01 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah dont we need a service manual for this? oh yeah I plan on running meth also...I have a 5 gallon drum sitting in my garage but right now I'm running alcohol and 8psi but soon I plan on switching to the IK20's when I get them in and run 10psi TOPS....so if the oil has COOLANT in it means its a blown headgasket? so bolts or not....one guy says no and one guys says yes...I'm thinking yes just to be safe...I have the link for the HG....does anyone have the link for the bolts...if so link it up please....thanx
Old 09-04-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
definately get a nippon, im using a nippon like metal headgasket that this local shop made for me, kinda pricey (180), but they said its garaunteed to hold up to 15psi+, so if it does go i get another one for free. But definately replace the head bolts as well

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Feedback