Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Internals for 15-20 psi ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahtasham is an unknown quantity at this point
Internals for 15-20 psi ???

From what I have read on this forum, the D17 can take a max of 10psi on stock internals (and maybe not even that for a long time). I want to know what internal upgrades are available till date for our cars and what are the best prices and where to get them. Also, for the sleeves can I just order the part and then get it done from my local shop or would I have to send my block?

From what I searched:

High Pressure Oil Pump ..... $150 at KMS
Copper Head Gasket ???
Pistons ..... $500 at DH-R , $375 at Turbo Discounters
Rods ...... $400 at DH-R
Block Gaurd ... $75 at KMS
Sleeves ???

Thanks!

Last edited by Ahtasham; 03-15-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Re: Internals for 15-20 psi ???

Originally posted by Ahtasham

Block Gaurd ... $75 at KMS
Sleeves ???
You would either go with a blockguard or aftermarket sleeves, not both. My advice regarding where to purchase the products would be to talk to Wil at Exospeed (exospeed.com). All of their sleeving is done by RS Machines.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

Can you just buy the sleeves and put it in yourself (your local shop)?
Old 03-15-2004
SuperMODrizd
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
they have to be machined and pressed in, there are things such as T-sleeves that are removeable, but i dont know if darton has released them for our cars, moral of the statement is, i doubt u can do this in ur house garage, word of advice, go direct, dont be the third party, more than likely ull need to send the whole block and the pistons so they can be bored and matched in sizing, and for u when sending ur block be expecting to wait a long time, why, for me to send it to RS machine was going to take about 3-4 weeks, to get back to me, and that was within the US, ur way out there, i dont even know how much time to give u a guesstimate

Last edited by C2i0v0i1C; 03-15-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

If I just get the pistons, rods, block gaurd, gasket and perhaps an oil pump and forget about sleeving, then how much psi would the block be able to handle to the max?
Old 03-15-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Ahtasham
If I just get the pistons, rods, block gaurd, gasket and perhaps an oil pump and forget about sleeving, then how much psi would the block be able to handle to the max?
One can only speculate.
Old 03-15-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
try it and let us know. I know a guy here in raleigh part of 4-2-1 motorsports with a B16(9.0:1 pistons, rods, copper head gasket, sleeved block) in his hatch, t3/t4 turbo, runs 16psi daily...but then again thats a B16 and i've heard stock blocks that can take 20psi if its tuned properly
Old 03-15-2004
K20 Member

ImportRacer2123 is an unknown quantity at this point
my buddy just bought a south flordia performance block and had his b16 decked out to a b16a3 which is a b16 decked to a b18 and then sleeved i have pics if you guys want to see.
Old 03-15-2004
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
You can use a block guard if you use sleeves but it's pretty pointless. I'm not a fan of block guards because, to me, it's a cheap way to prevent the sleeves from floating and when you go that route, you can create hot spots on the sleeves and warp the cylinder walls. Some people swear by them but I'd never use one for that reason.

Most sleeves are pressed in but I've also heard that regular darton or golden eagle sleeves have been known to spin crack or sink. I don't know about you but I'm not going to spend a grand on sleeves and have that worry. The only sleeves I would go with are Benson's. They are Darton sleeves but they are made to Benson's specs and instead of being pressed into your block, the new sleeves are frozen (to shrink them) and the block is hot tanked, that way it fits together and when it reaches normal temps, the fit right together. My buddy just got his gsr back from Benson and let me tell you, they look awesome. He'll be pulling 10's this season. I'd strontly suggest researching this alot more though. You can get all of the info you need on honda-tech about Benson's or look for Earl Laskey. One of the most worthwhile engine mods you can do.

Now you can make alot of power on a stock motor as well as long as you're tuned for it. You can make good power without blowing it up.
Old 03-15-2004
SuperMODrizd
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by civicskater
try it and let us know. I know a guy here in raleigh part of 4-2-1 motorsports with a B16(9.0:1 pistons, rods, copper head gasket, sleeved block) in his hatch, t3/t4 turbo, runs 16psi daily...but then again thats a B16 and i've heard stock blocks that can take 20psi if its tuned properly
IMO thats weak, 16psi on a built bottom to me wasting ur money, i have a friend that just did pistons and rods and did 18, sleeves better be over 20, the damn things are tested in the 40's
Old 03-16-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
he turns it up around 26psi at the track...its his daily driver as well...i dont know, but i really wouldnt want to be driving a 450whp car around town all the damn time
Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by andyman97
You can use a block guard if you use sleeves but it's pretty pointless. I'm not a fan of block guards because, to me, it's a cheap way to prevent the sleeves from floating and when you go that route, you can create hot spots on the sleeves and warp the cylinder walls. Some people swear by them but I'd never use one for that reason.

Most sleeves are pressed in but I've also heard that regular darton or golden eagle sleeves have been known to spin crack or sink. I don't know about you but I'm not going to spend a grand on sleeves and have that worry. The only sleeves I would go with are Benson's. They are Darton sleeves but they are made to Benson's specs and instead of being pressed into your block, the new sleeves are frozen (to shrink them) and the block is hot tanked, that way it fits together and when it reaches normal temps, the fit right together. My buddy just got his gsr back from Benson and let me tell you, they look awesome. He'll be pulling 10's this season. I'd strontly suggest researching this alot more though. You can get all of the info you need on honda-tech about Benson's or look for Earl Laskey. One of the most worthwhile engine mods you can do.

Now you can make alot of power on a stock motor as well as long as you're tuned for it. You can make good power without blowing it up.
Thanks for the info dude!