Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

14psi w/ no problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004
BOOST JUNKY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by jwcardy
this is for the ones that have no idea about cars and turbos...SEARCH

Yup a few minutes a day reading up on subjects can at least give you a general knowledge of these very important factors.
Old 03-13-2004
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by ELaudio

You're smart though, running a boost pressure that high on stock internals is like playing russian roulette. Even with alcohol injection you're still running the risk of detonation, blowing your head-gasket or even worse - snapping a connecting rod. I've seen it happen on cars running too high a boost. I had a buddy in my old Miata days that did that. The1990-1997 engine was based on the 323 turbo block, making it a good candidate for aftermarket turbos. The pistons were designed to increase oil and coolant flow for boosted apps. Long story short, he was running 15+psi, snapped a rod...

Watch it, as hot as that naked chick may be, touching her may kill you. Well, your that is!

why whatever do u mean????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0042.gif
Views:	166
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	23722  
Old 03-13-2004
OsOBaNNeD

our engines are honda.... they wont break... our rods are good upto 20psi...

YEA RIGHT....

try INTAKE, HEADER, EXHAUST.

RESULT-

Name:	dscf0045.gif
Views:	159
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	23723  
Old 03-13-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by OsOBooSTeD
our engines are honda.... they wont break... our rods are good upto 20psi...

YEA RIGHT....

try INTAKE, HEADER, EXHAUST.

RESULT-
Whats the story behind that picture?

Something had to have gone wrong besides just installing I/E/H.
Old 03-13-2004
OsOBaNNeD

nope no story. rod broke.. shot threw block. I/E/H . just happened.
Old 03-14-2004

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
that makes me nervous about installing anything more^
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
nope no story. rod broke.. shot threw block. I/E/H . just happened.

Thats pretty hard to believe. lease:
Old 03-14-2004
SuperMODrizd
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by thiscrackerntam
Thats pretty hard to believe. lease:
im getting to the point where i hope ur car blows up, do to the recent ignorant comments i have read of urs recently, **** can happen, and this is a prime example, and hopefully it will happen to urs and teach u a lesson in cars
Old 03-14-2004
BOOST JUNKY

Originally posted by C2i0v0i1C
im getting to the point where i hope ur car blows up, do to the recent ignorant comments i have read of urs recently, **** can happen, and this is a prime example, and hopefully it will happen to urs and teach u a lesson in cars
You really shouldn't wish those things on people. Lord forbid it comes around to nip u in the bud.

Anyway....I can understand where anyone can find it a little hard to believe that something like that can happen w/mere bolt ons like I/H/E. I've seen it happen to a friend of mine though, but there is always more to it than whats given to you at face value. He only had I/H/E....and I can assure you those weren't the cause of his blown motor.

We're all entitled to our opinions...and unless the owner of that car comes forth and explains everything....then who's to say? If it was previously posted....linky please.
Old 03-14-2004
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by ELaudio
The pistons were designed to increase oil and coolant flow for boosted apps.
How did these pistons increase coolant flow? I wasn't aware that on an internal combustion engine that coolant flowed through the pistons.....
Old 03-14-2004
Skyline R33

i bet u all the money u have that ur headgasket is blown... that u blew the water jackets in it... you wont have ne signs of coolant burning or oil mixing with it .. BUT ull see... i dont care if u spiked at 14 for half a second.
Well you put bad mojo on me

Today I noticed that I was getting steam out of the exhaust. I had been running only 5psi untill I could solve my running lean problem.

But I guess that night at 14psi did do something. Or maybe the pulls on the dyno and running lean.

At least I was planning on getting the PnP heads. That will give me a chancwe to put in the block guard and new head gasket. I ordered the non-leak oem one that was posted from Majestic honda.

I have no problems and everything is running tight. But I am getting the sweet smelling steam out the pipe today. Damn.

To all the other new or soon to be new Turbo members. Dont push 14psi unless you are willing to pull your heads.

Nothing lost and a lot of knowledge and experience gained. I learned alot about my car the last couple of weeks. makes me love it that much more.
Old 03-14-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by guns
To all the other new or soon to be new Turbo members. Dont push 14psi unless you are willing to pull your heads.
needs a lil rewording, dont push 14 psi unless u got the parts to back it up
Old 03-14-2004
SuperMODrizd

yea and last time i checked the coolant doesnt touch the pistons
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
haha yeah i agree on that last comment.

for osoboosted...wasn't the blown internals due to lack of oil change man? that's what i was told that day (same day one of my parada's blew out on the freeway haha). man that was a day to remember.

BTW- The car shouldn't be running lean at all. The SF system is supposed to run rich all the way to redline... The pump that comes in the kit supports up to 600HP. The limit would be our fuel injectors and returnless system. SF is coming out with a rail soon, that should help those with a craving for higher boost .
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough

Dayumm, dont we do a good job at hating? Everyone knows thats anyway...
Old 03-14-2004
Banned

Originally posted by SpdRcrChk
You really shouldn't wish those things on people. Lord forbid it comes around to nip u in the bud.

Anyway....I can understand where anyone can find it a little hard to believe that something like that can happen w/mere bolt ons like I/H/E. I've seen it happen to a friend of mine though, but there is always more to it than whats given to you at face value. He only had I/H/E....and I can assure you those weren't the cause of his blown motor.

We're all entitled to our opinions...and unless the owner of that car comes forth and explains everything....then who's to say? If it was previously posted....linky please.

exactly...
Old 03-15-2004
OsOBaNNeD

Originally posted by MadWheel
haha yeah i agree on that last comment.

for osoboosted...wasn't the blown internals due to lack of oil change man? that's what i was told that day (same day one of my parada's blew out on the freeway haha). man that was a day to remember.
man thats what everyone seems to think. case was i had told two members just before it happened that i had not changed my oil in like 3 months. i drove the car once a week during that time and put like Zero miles on it.
I actually CHECKED the oil right before,while we were watching a movie in my car waiting for you to get your tire fixed.

I/H/E is all i had done and a really cant see what caused it..
only thing that i can think of is that once i while i was eating some foot, talking on the cell phone , driving and Shifting.. i f ucked up and shifted into 2nd instead of 4th while i was doing 80 and the car just reeeeeeeeeved out to the other side and hit the bar next to 0

my only thoughts are that... that day it weakend the rods or cracked one and over time it just cracked some more and then just happened to break and shoot threw the block on the way to NJ .....

500 bucks later---- this pulls up at my house.

Name:	dscf0209.gif
Views:	127
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	23843  
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

KingTorq is an unknown quantity at this point
Guns, sorry ive been outta the vic game for a bit, its been pretty hecktic around my neck of the woods. So here goes-

1. dyno flattens out, if you have cats/corked exhaust that could be whats limiting total power/the tapering out on the dyno,... as well as you going lean ... which is the primary problem.

2. You have an alc./water./meth. inj kit, that is your fuel enrichment. The sf fuel kit is great to a point, and higher boost requires the additional injection beyond the stock injectors/rail/line, etc. Rather than more computer tweeking, you can work to fatten your alc. kit. One way is to open the inj. hole more, or better yet (considering atomization) 't' off your feed to a second injector jet. It is fuel like a secondary injector,... maximise it. If you think your maxxing the alc. pump or at higher boost, (talking even more than 14 prolly), you can plumb a vaccume line/boost pressure line into the top of the alc. tank to neutralize the pressure that the pump is realizing against your pressurized intake tract.

Just a thought... you could work with SF as much as possible too, as they may have answers. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2004
Skyline R33

I am having many small problems

But the car is running great believe it or not. I am having fun and learning alot about these cars.

I know I might go about things the hard way. I could drop it off at a shop for a couple of days and I am sure they will get it all right. But whats the fun and learning in that. I put the kit on myself and with a little help got it running strong. A little too strong I guess. I needed to pull the heads anyways for the PnP from DH-racing.

Thanks for the help..
Old 03-15-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
thanks for clearing that up OSO, sounds good. thank god those days are behind us though.
Old 03-15-2004
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
yea and last time i checked the coolant doesnt touch the pistons
I'd seriously like to know about these pistons. You're right, on an open deck block, no coolant should touch your pistons. I don't think alot of people on this board truly understand where coolant flows or how an engine even works for that matter. Eh well, ignorance is everywhere.
Old 03-15-2004
SuperMODrizd

hell correct me if im wrong but i havent ever seen coolant touching a piston in any engine
Old 03-15-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by MadWheel
SF is coming out with a rail soon, that should help those with a craving for higher boost .
yeah, but it will take 6 mths to ship it to u
Old 03-16-2004
BOOST JUNKY

maybe if the have a few "pre" orders they'll produce a few beforehand and get them out quick. I'd like to see the prototype first.
Old 03-16-2004
SuperMODrizd

they dont need to be takin anymore orders for anything til they get what looks like the xmas orders shipped
Old 03-16-2004
BOOST JUNKY

LoL This is true.
Old 03-16-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
they dont need to be takin anymore orders for anything til they get what looks like the xmas orders shipped

Name:	word.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	23987  
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

civicstreetrcr is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL GREAT THREAD FREE BUMP!!!!
Old 03-16-2004
Turbo Guru

Originally posted by civic01vtec
You still haven't gotten yours yet?
Old 03-16-2004
SuperMODrizd

this xmas is only 9 months away...........ahahahahahah

Quick Reply: 14psi w/ no problems