Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps)
-   -   14psi w/ no problems (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps/144218-14psi-w-no-problems.html)

guns 03-11-2004 11:33 PM

14psi w/ no problems

I have "Torque Kings" old SF kit and just added the Missing Link check valve. I had been having check engine lights assoc w/ my MAP sensor using PVC valve as a check valve. I put in the missing link and wanted to crank the boost up to 12psi for the night.

Well I turned it up to 14psi on accident and it held good for a couple of runs. No check engine light and nothing blew up. I turned it back down to 11 psi and ran it a couple of more times just to make sure that I would have no check engine light problems. Ran like a champ. Tomorrow I will hook up my Throtle Body, VAFC-2, put on my catless down pipe and see how it runs. If everything is good I will try and schedule some dyno time and post the results.

Just to give you what an idea of what 14psi is like, I pulled on a Hemi pickup w/flowmasters like he was stopped. I was shoked that I was running stock internals. Still waiting for some worthy kills. No one wants to play.

I wont ever turn it up that high again and probably lucky nothing broke. But it is like having a naked girl in front of you and not touching her.

keepin_it_clean 03-11-2004 11:35 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmm booost. keep us updated.

zinkyroo 03-11-2004 11:50 PM

14 psi, eek. good luck

guamcivic2k1 03-11-2004 11:51 PM

nice...hope to see some dyno numbers soon..

guns 03-12-2004 12:16 AM

Originally posted by zinkyroo
14 psi, eek. good luck
Like I said it is only a one time thing. It was really an accident. I am running a safer 11psi now.

Jodster 03-12-2004 07:06 AM

Sounds really good man.

Project2k2 03-12-2004 08:44 AM

I wana gat tat trbuo, for rzizle yo.

Seriously though, your lucky. LoL. But hella nice I'm sure.

jwcardy 03-12-2004 09:55 AM

if everything goes good with the time and money....you will see my running 20psi safely after exospeed.com builds my motor for me :evil:

Kloverz 03-12-2004 10:00 AM

Man 14 thats alot for a stock internal, but good to hear that you hit 14psi. i want to see ur dyno result tho.

DistinctiveBP 03-12-2004 10:01 AM

damn nice kill!

turbo...:drool:

OsOBooSTeD 03-12-2004 11:07 AM

ur an idiot
for get about knock

i bet u all the money u have that ur headgasket is blown... that u blew the water jackets in it... you wont have ne signs of coolant burning or oil mixing with it .. BUT ull see... :) i dont care if u spiked at 14 for half a second.

UnOrthodox9546 03-12-2004 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Project2k2
I wana gat tat trbuo, for rzizle yo.

Seriously though, your lucky. LoL. But hella nice I'm sure.

I Have mine for sale !!!!

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...73#post1860073

SpdRcrChk 03-12-2004 12:40 PM

Originally posted by OsOBooSTeD
ur an idiot
for get about knock

i bet u all the money u have that ur headgasket is blown... that u blew the water jackets in it... you wont have ne signs of coolant burning or oil mixing with it .. BUT ull see... :) i dont care if u spiked at 14 for half a second.

^^^ YES!!! LoL

But I wonder if people have any idea of what you're talkin bout. (i do) LMAO

OsOBooSTeD 03-12-2004 03:26 PM

Originally posted by SpdRcrChk
^^^ YES!!! LoL

But I wonder if people have any idea of what you're talkin bout. (i do) LMAO

see thats why you and i bash heads... cause we know wtf is REALLY going on. :_beer:

SpdRcrChk 03-12-2004 03:35 PM

^^^ LoL tru enuff.

guns 03-12-2004 04:46 PM

There is a mustang shop near my house and they straped my car on a dyno for $25. I found out I am running lean after 5,000 rpm. I just installed a VAFC-II. How do I use it to richen up the fuel?

I know a couple of you think I am an idiot. Ok I can deal with that. But I am asking questions and at one time you were in my place.

guns 03-12-2004 04:53 PM

Dyno run at 10psi. stock SF w/alch

This is on my third run. Enigne was hot and lost about 5hp compared to the first run. The second run I played w/ vafc2 and had bad results.

djmota 03-12-2004 04:53 PM

go to settings on wide hi start at 5k rpm and work your way up. its hard to know how much to add try +3 or +4 all the way up to red line. hit that dyno again and see the difference this time tune it while its still on there.

PeterV1228 03-12-2004 04:55 PM

that is for an ex at 10psi? numbers seem kinda low, i thought at 8psi it was supposed to be 183hp and 189tq

guns 03-12-2004 04:57 PM

Originally posted by PeterV1228
that is for an ex at 10psi? numbers seem kinda low, i thought at 8psi it was supposed to be 183hp and 189tq
the engine was heat soaked and running lean. It was not getting enough fuel. I have been hearing that SF runs rich and mine is lean. Any suggestions would be appretiated.

RiceBuRNeR 03-12-2004 05:04 PM

It allright fpr the track but dont do it every day. I was running 12-13 every day and my head gasket took a shit.

guns 03-12-2004 05:09 PM

Originally posted by RiceBuRNeR
It allright fpr the track but dont do it every day. I was running 12-13 every day and my head gasket took a shit.
Can I turn up the fuel using vafc2?

OsOBooSTeD 03-12-2004 07:09 PM

Originally posted by guns

Sf's kit is supposed to do that already.. but i duno... and i know what u mean.. i can FEEL the car leaning out past 5k in 3rd and 4th and 5th....

makes me wonder if the stock injectors are holding up......
i switched my injectors and fuel rail the other day(i have another oem set) to see if maybe my injectors took a shit.... it still feels the same.

im telling you that ur headgasket is BLOWN which is another reason for the low hp #'s

RiceBuRNeR 03-12-2004 08:14 PM

Originally posted by guns
I was talking about boost pressure.

SpdRcrChk 03-12-2004 11:55 PM

guns....if ya wanna confirm what OsOBoosteD is suggesting, just check for ablown headgasket. Do a search on honda-tech and learn how to check. You can even do a google or yahoo search.

guns 03-13-2004 03:00 AM

Originally posted by SpdRcrChk
guns....if ya wanna confirm what OsOBoosteD is suggesting, just check for ablown headgasket. Do a search on honda-tech and learn how to check. You can even do a google or yahoo search.
I am getting PnP heads from DH soon. So if they are blown the gasket will be replaced soon. Would there be any risk of driving my car if the water jackets are blown?

Havok2k1 03-13-2004 08:45 AM

The SF kit just multiplies the fuel pressure per lb of boost... Hence a 6:1 or 8:1 FMU....

If at 5K it is leaning out, you could have a fuel delivery issue...

From what I hear, the SF aux pump can supply decent fuel flow, but you may be having problems with it.... to check it, just hook up a Fuel pressure gauge (you should have one on all FI setups) and watch it climb at boost climbs... If it hits a wall, or slows down, you have your problem...

The other issue could be the injectors.... Not much you can do to test them in the car.... you would need to flowbench them....

Be VERY careful running lean... First the head gasket goes, then you'll get detonation and then blow a hole in the piston or block.... I've seen it multiple times on all types of cars...

Like people have said, it could be the head gasket as the coolant is diluting the combustion mixture, right when the boost is getting up there (5K rpm).... ESPECIALLY with you running 14psi... LMAO

BTW, good luck with blowby at 14psi on stock rings.... LMAO x2

C2i0v0i1C 03-13-2004 10:09 AM

at 10psi u should be over 200 whp, i was, so ur getting a dh pnp head, so imo why drive the car on a potentially blown headgasket and run the risk of screwing up more than already could be, u need some serious tuning on ur car from the looks of the dyno sheet, u make the most power at 4300 and then it slowly drops off from there. 14psi, ive hit 13.2 before, and yea it was nice, but do u really want to blow it up, before u can enjoy it, im surprised u didnt fry everything internally with ur accidental boost raising, greed=faliure until tuned and reinforced

jwcardy 03-13-2004 11:06 AM

Originally posted by OsOBooSTeD
ur an idiot
for get about knock

umm headgasket, what is that....waterjacket...those are in there too...and burning oil coolant mixing.....what is all that...i am sooooooo confused.....

hahaha...i know what you are talkin about to...that is what gets me...everyone whats a turbo, but they have no idea what it is and what it CAN do to your car....

this is for the ones that have no idea about cars and turbos...SEARCH

ELaudio 03-13-2004 11:58 AM

Naked girly, no touchy-touchy indeed! Damn - must have felt sweet. You must have been running well in excess of 200hp at the wheels... Probably could have run the 1/4 well into the 13's with that kind of boost.

You're smart though, running a boost pressure that high on stock internals is like playing russian roulette. Even with alcohol injection you're still running the risk of detonation, blowing your head-gasket or even worse - snapping a connecting rod. I've seen it happen on cars running too high a boost. I had a buddy in my old Miata days that did that. The1990-1997 engine was based on the 323 turbo block, making it a good candidate for aftermarket turbos. The pistons were designed to increase oil and coolant flow for boosted apps. Long story short, he was running 15+psi, snapped a rod...

Watch it, as hot as that naked chick may be, touching her may kill you. Well, your that is!