Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Install help, I have no boost pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004
Skyline R33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guns is an unknown quantity at this point
Install help, I have no boost pressure...

I installed a used SF kit purchased from another 7thgen member today. The kit was in like new shape and was sent/packaged great. The problem is that I am getting no boost. I followed the DIY instructions and found a couple problems I might have. The first is I recieved no MAP sensor isolator valve. Is that needed and what will happen if I run without it? Second I didn’t get any kind of boost control valve. Is that why I am getting no boost and is that part needed? I played with waste gate rod and had no results. Also my kit has a black box that runs to the fuel kit and the alch, injection kit. Where does the hose on the black box run to? To the vacuum line? One last question my piping going to my throttle body has two nipples on it one for the alch. And the other is for what?

Thanks for the help. Any suggestions would be greatly appretiated.
Old 03-01-2004
Registered!!

Hwoody77 can only hope to improve

Well one of the nipples could've been for a nitrous kit...
Old 03-01-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Re: Install help, I have no boost pressure...

Originally posted by guns
I installed a used SF kit purchased from another 7thgen member today. The kit was in like new shape and was sent/packaged great. The problem is that I am getting no boost. I followed the DIY instructions and found a couple problems I might have. The first is I recieved no MAP sensor isolator valve. Is that needed and what will happen if I run without it? Second I didn’t get any kind of boost control valve. Is that why I am getting no boost and is that part needed? I played with waste gate rod and had no results. Also my kit has a black box that runs to the fuel kit and the alch, injection kit. Where does the hose on the black box run to? To the vacuum line? One last question my piping going to my throttle body has two nipples on it one for the alch. And the other is for what?

Thanks for the help. Any suggestions would be greatly appretiated.
There are two holes for alcohol injection. One is for the pressure switch and the other is for the nozzle. If you paid for alcohol injection and only got one of these things then you need to contact SF.

You NEED a map sensor isolation valve. The ECU does not like positive vacuum pressure. As for not making boost that could be anything, check your pipe connections.

The SF kit does not include a boost controller so you are limited by the wastegate spring.

As for that black box I dunno they never gave me one. I heard it was the result of some sort of special treatment that in-town customers received. Frankly, I think it sucks that some people got a box to control the fuel pump and I have to listen to that damn pump all of the time.

Last edited by StreetLevelPerformance; 03-01-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2004
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
well, it may be stupid but check to make sure the inside of the air filter is not all the way down on the intake piping, thats what happend to mine when i dynoed it, it would run but it would not make boost, other than that call sf, they have great support
Old 03-01-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
where can i find a MAP isolation valve? clarification??
Old 03-01-2004
Your Parts Guy

Originally posted by civicskater
where can i find a MAP isolation valve? clarification??
Go with Synapse Engineering's Missing Link (ML004)

www.synapseengineering.com

Install this and you'll never have to worry about the ECU seeing positive vacuum pressure.
Old 03-01-2004
Registered!!

HTOWNBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
guns, we can make a electronic MAP isolator. We made the one in my car. It works great.
Old 03-01-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by HTOWNBOY
guns, we can make a electronic MAP isolator. We made the one in my car. It works great.
thanks just called a little after posting this thread. I will be by Speed Fetish around 5pm. Thanks for the help.

I still cant figure out why I am not making boost. I put everything together real tight and I should not have any leaks. If you cant figure this out I will be at your new favorite customer.

A note to anyone who plans to do this DIY, dont. It took me 10hours and still no boost. The oil pan is a biatch also. I bolted it all together with no major problem. it just took a long while. Everything is so cramped and you have to relocate a couple of things. Just pay a speed shop to do it for you. I wish I had.

Well thanks for the replies. I am off to Speed Fetish on Houston and pray they can figure it out.
Old 03-01-2004
Skyline R33

engine shot

Old 03-01-2004
"Stage7"

BlueBoyCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Lookin fawkin sweet guns!!!
Old 03-01-2004
Your Parts Guy

thanks just called a little after posting this thread. I will be by Speed Fetish around 5pm. Thanks for the help.

I still cant figure out why I am not making boost. I put everything together real tight and I should not have any leaks. If you cant figure this out I will be at your new favorite customer.

A note to anyone who plans to do this DIY, dont. It took me 10hours and still no boost. The oil pan is a biatch also. I bolted it all together with no major problem. it just took a long while. Everything is so cramped and you have to relocate a couple of things. Just pay a speed shop to do it for you. I wish I had.

Well thanks for the replies. I am off to Speed Fetish on Houston and pray they can figure it out.
You don't have to discourage people from installing themselves. Yes, it is time consuming but you learn ALOT about your car. Plus, if something goes wrong (which it will) you know exactly how to fix it!
Old 03-01-2004
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
As for that black box I dunno they never gave me one. I heard it was the result of some sort of special treatment that in-town customers received. Frankly, I think it sucks that some people got a box to control the fuel pump and I have to listen to that damn pump all of the time.
You ever thought of doing fuel return system with just a pump in tank? sigh i cant wait for someone to make a fuel rail for our cars.
Old 03-01-2004
Your Parts Guy

Originally posted by tfnaaf
You ever thought of doing fuel return system with just a pump in tank? sigh i cant wait for someone to make a fuel rail for our cars.
Yep, I will be doing that very soon. I want the added reliability of the return system and the option to go bigger in the future. I defintely do not want to be limited by my fuel setup.
Old 03-01-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
guns, do you have the vaccum line running from the turbo to the wastegate acuator....check that out and let us know
Old 03-01-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Is the actuator rod from the wastegate connect to the turbo? Shortening the rod will increase your boost.

As for the DIY, I'm all for it. Don't scare people away from it, it isn't that bad. If you have the right tools and are well prepared for it, it will go pretty well, besides the oil pan lol. Use a pry bar and it comes right off.

When you say no boost can u be more specific? Do you hear anything from your BOV? Listen carefully cuz if all the pipes are connected rightm and even if the actuator rod is off the turbo, at full throttle for a few secs can still trigger a faint expulsion of air. Check you charge pipes, especially by the intercooler. Can you feel boost but see 0psi on your gauge? Check your vacuum lines and gauge fittings if that's the case.

Also make sure the vacuum line from the turbo housing to the wastegate is there, and tight.
Old 03-01-2004
Registered!!

Guns is boostin now. We just have to tune now. Its time for some tuning with the Motec.
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
About the electronic isolators, ive used them in the past, but after a while the diaphragm inside the map sensor will warp, and cause the map sensor to work improperly. Just a thought.

also, you are not limited by your fuel system if you have ours. We can calibrate it to work exactly like a return system, with a 1:1 or whatever ratio you like regulator on them. We can also put adjustable regulators on them if you like. We built this kit to negate the need for a return line setup. The pump in there is good for well past 600 hp. So unless your car will never see pump gas nor paved streets, you should not have to worry.

Also, the fuel rail will be out soon.
Old 03-02-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by HTOWNBOY
Guns is boostin now. We just have to tune now. Its time for some tuning with the Motec.
Big thanks out to speed fetish. Alex is going to make me a custom boost controller valve. I had several diff thing messed up. But will be tuning more on Thursday and up the boost then. I hit a good 8 pounds and check engine light came on. I hit 11 and the engine died and seemed to be flooded.

The only problem is at WOT and above 5 pounds of boost I get check engine lights and code reader senses miss fire on all four pistons. I think I am running way to rich. Does anyone with the black box no when the fuel pump kicks on?

I am running four pounds of boost w/ no problems at all. Will be tuning more on my day of and install a clutch and flywheel.
Old 03-02-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by dober
You don't have to discourage people from installing themselves. Yes, it is time consuming but you learn ALOT about your car. Plus, if something goes wrong (which it will) you know exactly how to fix it!
I think the DIY made it look easy. It wasn't. Maybe because my kit was used and missing the MAP isolator, it was alittle harder. But it is no 3-4 hour job. I would have willingly paid someone 300-400 to do it and know it was done right,

Speed Fetish hooked me up. They took alot of personal time to help me get up and running. They stuck around untill 2am and made sure everything was running good before they would let me leave. Thats some customer service. They will have all my work in the future..
Old 03-02-2004
Premium Boosted Member

so why weren't you making boost?
Old 03-02-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by MadWheel
so why weren't you making boost?
The plastic vacum distr. piece cracked so had vacum leak. I had the brain box on vacum and it needed to be on the piping. The bottom piping from turbo to intercoller blow off. No map sensor isolator. Bad boost controller. Several small things. But Speed Fetish( another plug for them) hooked me up.
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

The plastic vacum distr. piece cracked so had vacum leak. I had the brain box on vacum and it needed to be on the piping. The bottom piping from turbo to intercoller blow off. No map sensor isolator. Bad boost controller. Several small things. But Speed Fetish( another plug for them) hooked me up.
Thanks Bro!

Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

glad you see your up and running
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

hey fellas, my parents just moved down there in the someting wood area, anyway whats the import scene like?
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by SODJAZERO
hey fellas, my parents just moved down there in the someting wood area, anyway whats the import scene like?
The Woodlands? The import seen is pretty good.
Old 03-02-2004
Premium Boosted Member

cool, nice job guys...
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

player1002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks slick guns, BTW happy birthday. That's a nice present for yourself.
Old 03-02-2004
Skyline R33

I am at six pounds of boost w/ no problems. Runs great lights up the tires at a 10-20 mph roll and looses traction in 2nd for about 2,000 rpm's and third pulls hard.

I found out my alch sprays at 6.5 pounds and fuel sprays at .5 pounds. The alch was jetted for 10 pounds of boost and was tuned for methanol. The alchol sparying at 7-8 was flooding the engine and too rich. At 7 pounds I was getting alch for 11 pounds and the alch is not as efficient as meth. So basicaly I just need to change to meth and run 11 pounds of boost or dilute my alch w/ distilled water 75%alch to 25%h2o maybe to lean it out a little .

We will see. To be safe I will leave it alone and waite for Htownboy to hook up the Motec and my new clutch to see what is really going on. So I will know how rich or lean I am really running.

I know with the help of Speed Fetishin Houston( another plug ) and thanks to Torque King for selling me the kit at an awsome price, I will be hitting 12 pound by this weekend .
Old 03-02-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by player1002
Looks slick guns, BTW happy birthday. That's a nice present for yourself.
Did Truehonda hook you up with the $2,700 Gb deal? That was a hella deal too, almost $400 off of retail. Let us know how it goes and if you DIY make sure you give yourself 10 hours for the install. I guess DIY is like a tatoo it hurts but afterwords you can look at it and take some pride in what you have.
Old 03-02-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
I am at six pounds of boost w/ no problems.
i think thats the best sentence out of this whole thread
glad you got your problems worked out, so get it fine tuned and go wrx hunting....

Quick Reply: Install help, I have no boost pressure...