Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

tuning your BOV

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003
Turbo Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb tuning your BOV

You would be surprised at how much better your turbos response is when your blow off valve is propperly tuned. I always noticed that when I shifted under low boost pressures that I always heard a cha-cha-cha-cha-cha sound coming from my intake, and not my bov. I also noticed that when I shifted gears under high boost conditions my RPMS would shoot up past the red line for a split second. this is all caused by the spring inside the BOV being too stiff.

The cha-cha-cha sound is actualy air moving backwards through the charge pipes and slowing the rotation of the compressor wheel. This is called compressor surge and in a non ball bearing turbo this can damge the turbos thrust bearings. Since the compressor wheel is being slowed your boost lag is increased. The spike in RPMS I mentioned earlier was caused by the BOV being too stiff to quickly releese all the extra presure.

I backed the set screw out untill it just rest on top of the spring but didnt put any extra pressure on it, unfortunitly the spring was still too stiff. I took the BOV apart and compressed the diaphram spring in a vise to that it wasnt as stiff and put everything back together. after a little tinkering w/ the ajustment screw the bov functions perfect, and the car is much more responsive. It also runs smoother when shifting under low boost conditions since there is no compressor surge to slow down the turbo and lag the engine.

Some of you will think this post is a waste of space, but I hope that it helped some of you out.
Old 12-31-2003
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sexcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
not a waste of space. might help someone from ****ing up their turbo...