Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Clicking sound... Serious?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sexcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clicking sound... Serious?

Well after running my car for about 2000miles @5psi. I've started to hear a clicking sound when tapping the gas lightly at around 2000-4000rpms. I am not sure what caused this, or what may be wrong. It sounds like it is from within the head. What do you guys think is the cause of this? and what can be the cure? is it serious? HELP! Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
sometimes I hear that too ... and I can't even hit 5 psi.
Old 12-01-2003
SuperMODrizd
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by aznboysrfr
sometimes I hear that too ... and I can't even hit 5 psi.
why not thats the lowest mine goes
Old 12-01-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I think it has something to do with my boost controller ... greddy profec e-01 ...

when I set it to say ... 7psi, it doesn't go above 2.5-3.5 psi ... because it is in the "learning process" ... or whatever. The problem is, that is never ****in completes the learning process ... I'll be driving for days and gunning it constantly with it never learning...

however, yesterday it did complete the learning process at 4psi ... however, I got excited ... turned it up to 7psi ... and now it's doing its learning process **** again ... T_T;;;
Old 12-01-2003
Banned

boost leak?
Old 12-01-2003
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
ah ha u might be hearing the clicking noise coming from ur boost controller, mine clicks like crazy the entire time im in boost, also if ur thing isnt learning it might be bc ur duty cycle is too high,while in boost does the car make somewhat of a sound like flying by mailboxs, whoosh whoosh whoosh every second or so, bc mine did, lowered the duty and it went away

would a boost leak even let u get as high as 4psi
Old 12-01-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

I was thinkin it could be a wastegate leak ... but I dunno ...

I have hit 5 psi ONCE .... and only once. I hit 4 psi a couple times ... but that's after a LOT of driving hard ... -_-;;
Old 12-01-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by aznboysrfr
I think it has something to do with my boost controller ... greddy profec e-01 ...

when I set it to say ... 7psi, it doesn't go above 2.5-3.5 psi ... because it is in the "learning process" ... or whatever. The problem is, that is never ****in completes the learning process ... I'll be driving for days and gunning it constantly with it never learning...

however, yesterday it did complete the learning process at 4psi ... however, I got excited ... turned it up to 7psi ... and now it's doing its learning process **** again ... T_T;;;
Are you using it right? I used the auto feature and it was good to go for 7 psi in like 15 seconds. It's only supposed to take as long as your two WOT runs. If you are boosting that low though, just use the manual settings. They are easy. It all depends on your setup though. I have an external wastegate and a T3/T04B and
SET = 25
GAIN = 10
Gives me 8psi with no spikes or anything.
Old 12-01-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

ehh?... auto set it to 25 or manual set?

well ... I did MANY MANY wot runs in auto and it never completed ... it would always goto stage 2 (blinking auto.p) but never fully complete ... and even when it did blink ... still only 3.5 psi

I have the upgraded sf turbo and an internal wastegate ...
Old 12-01-2003
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
Re: Clicking sound... Serious?

Originally posted by sexcivic2k1
Well after running my car for about 2000miles @5psi. I've started to hear a clicking sound when tapping the gas lightly at around 2000-4000rpms. I am not sure what caused this, or what may be wrong. It sounds like it is from within the head. What do you guys think is the cause of this? and what can be the cure? is it serious? HELP! Your input is greatly appreciated.

it might be ur vales. it needs adjustments. take it to the shop or to the dealer
Old 12-01-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Re: Re: Clicking sound... Serious?

Originally posted by yourinmyw0rld
it might be ur vales. it needs adjustments. take it to the shop or to the dealer
I'm thinking the same. It's not a big deal to do yourself either. I think even Grey wrote a DIY on it.

Aznboysrfr: Manual set it... but start lower than I did for safety. For the auto mode, you have to start it, then go WOT in 3rd gear untill you reach how much boost you want. Let off right away at that point. Then when you go into stage II, go WOT in 3rd gear again and let it auto adjust everything unless your boost seriously starts to creep. Manual is still good though. Very accurate and I've never spiked once (never did on auto though either).
Old 12-01-2003
Banned

yeah that's what im guessing too... i will have to see how much the dealer will charge to do it, i dont want to do it myself and F something up, as usual :-\
Old 12-01-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
yea when my car started clicking when i pushed the gas... i found this

Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

CIVIC808 is an unknown quantity at this point
or you could have spun a bearing, i did.it sounded like valve tap at first but it got worst afterwards.
Old 12-01-2003
Truehonda.com

bublik is an unknown quantity at this point
valve tap, got taht after hitting 9300 rpm's in wrong gear. I am pretty sure its valve tap. Although, the turbo guys may also be right. I would check both or dont and get an "osoboosted" type engine. (jk man, good luck with that suspension)
Old 12-02-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Re: Re: Re: Clicking sound... Serious?

Originally posted by Boosted2k2
I'm thinking the same. It's not a big deal to do yourself either. I think even Grey wrote a DIY on it.

Aznboysrfr: Manual set it... but start lower than I did for safety. For the auto mode, you have to start it, then go WOT in 3rd gear untill you reach how much boost you want. Let off right away at that point. Then when you go into stage II, go WOT in 3rd gear again and let it auto adjust everything unless your boost seriously starts to creep. Manual is still good though. Very accurate and I've never spiked once (never did on auto though either).
yeah, that's what I did ... I set it at 2 psi, gain 2 ... and it never hit 4 psi ... I did wot runs many times in 3rd and 4th ... it never got to 4 ...

yesterday, I tried it though ... I set it to 7 psi and did an open throttle (not full throttle) run and it hit 9.7 psi ... o_o! ... I think there's something that needs to be toyed with haha
Old 12-03-2003
Banned

im gonna schedule something with honda, to align the valves... hope this works *CROSSES FINGERS!*
Old 12-05-2003
Banned

well that wasn't it... the guy described to me that it was a "knocking" and not a "tap"

said it might be caused due to lack of oil.. (i had an oil leak)

i am going to see at a shop how much it'll cost to fix.. if its a lot, i'll fix, part out, and sell the damn thing :\