Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

K20a D17A5

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eric_draven is an unknown quantity at this point
Question K20a D17A5

Hi Guys, I am a newbie here and after alot of research and web searching i need to ask a question. I know this probabely been overasked yet specifically in my case being a poor old South African i am trying to find out some information on swopping my 2001 civic sedan's D17A5 engine with a K20A. I have read the write up on hybridgarage and wanted to know if i could apply this to my car as i need to be sure before i try and import this engine to SA. The other thing is any places out there which does importing to SA??
Old 08-15-2003
Registered!!

Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
I will have to be honest. I didnt even realize that people were doing swaps in south africa, so I imagine it will be quite hard to do a swap. But if they sell Civics there they probably sell RSXs. Just find a wrecked one and jack its engine.
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

Unhappy

would love to find one but due to Honda going their own way here in South Africa i am not sure if they sell any RSX's in this country. So i guess it will have to be an import somehow, somewhere..
Old 08-18-2003
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
if you can't get an RSX in South Africa, the second best bet is to get the K24 engine from either an Accord or a CR-V
Old 08-18-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
do they sell the civic Si? use that k20 motor. it isnt as fast as the rsx-s motor but it still is faster. and the jackson racing supercharger still bolts up to it and there is an insane turbo kit for the Si, forget what company makes it though.
Old 08-18-2003
SuperMODrizd
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
d17a5?????????????????????????????? is out of what car
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

d17a5 is out of a honda civic sedan 2001 model in South Africa.

I have looked into slapping in the Accord 2.4 litre engine but according to Honda SA it won't fit and finding specs and dimentions on the engine is a bit of a mission but i will have to try unless anyone knows for definate that the 2.4 engine will fit with minor modifications
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by eric_draven
d17a5 is out of a honda civic sedan 2001 model in South Africa.

I have looked into slapping in the Accord 2.4 litre engine but according to Honda SA it won't fit and finding specs and dimentions on the engine is a bit of a mission but i will have to try unless anyone knows for definate that the 2.4 engine will fit with minor modifications
Naw they are full of ****, it will fit... but you need motor mounts. And I think that is what they are talking about. No engine is going to just drop in, you buy the engine and the motor mounts. The motor mounts convert your engine bay to whatever the engine bay looked like in the car the engine is from (pretty much anyways) and then you can drop the engine in. Hasport makes motor mounts for 2k1s I think. So you should check their website out, and possibly obtain an engine through ebay. If you contact the seller and offer to pay the extra charges, I am sure they would be willing to send it out of the country, but ofcourse you will pay a hefty shipping fee.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Its just like stuffing a h22 in a civic. You can do it, just not a lot of room. Check www.hybridgarage.com , or where ever someone sells a k20 engine. Ask them about shipping to you. It might cost, but they may ship it to you. A base RSX is a K20a3.

The SI motor and the base RSX motor are the same engine. The type-s has 40 hp difference. The K20a3 and the K20a2 are two different engines with different potentials.
Old 08-19-2003
Registered!!

briang is an unknown quantity at this point
I work for Hasport, I designed the mount kit for your car. I have a couple of questions.

Do they sell the Civic Type R in South Africa? That would be the engine to swap in. We have not come out with the K24 swap kit yet. I should be out later in the year.

What countries does South Africa have good import/export or "free trade" agreements with, Great Britain?

brian g
Old 08-20-2003
Registered!!

Nope no type-r's in the country at all unless they are imported. I have seen 2 in JHB but thats it. all we get here are the low end stuff and no-one i know of does importing of honda engines although i know a friend who can organise cheap importing of stuff so i might wanna organise.

About all we can get here are the Honda Civic's with D1* engines the accord type-s the crv and the s2000. This is the grand scale of what i have to play with locally.