Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

new to FI-need some information

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
new to FI-need some information

Okay this is probably more than a simple question but Im new to FI and I have some thoughts questions about it.

First off I assume the installation of a turbo will void the warranty on the engine and any components I alter?

Does anyone know really know how much safe boost is without overloading the engine? I have seen 4-7 psi and from what others are saying anything over 11 psi will break the intake manifold? What about say 6 psi? Will this prematurely wear the engine or is it safe to work under this load?

What is really required in a basic turbo kit? Obviously the turbo and the new exhaust manifold, but what do you need? I understand a cold air intake is usually used. What about 02 sensors, map senors etc? I see some people are using other products to fake the ECU inputs but are they really required?

What about the gauges used? I see the short forms but I dont understand them all. I assume you want to watch your boost pressure but what else?

What about the type? Garrett, greddy? Anyone have any compliments/complaints?

Overall Im looking to possibly buy/install a turbo and I want to get 30-40% HP gain without going crazy. I dont want all the headaches hassles as I want to retain driveability and reliability. I know that there is alot of info in the forum here but I have a hard time discerning fact with opinion.

Thanks to any help you guys can give
Old 07-05-2003
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
turbo will void all of your pissible engine warranties, but things like suspension continues to be covverd under warranty.

At 10psi the head blows, you need ARP studs to correct the problem. 6-8 psi is the most common current setting. Plan on either adding injecters or replacing your stocks with larger cc injectors (requires a plummed fuel rail or aftermarket fuel rail) along with a fuel controller. Some setup's are internally gated some externally. I recommend an electronic boost controller to help cope with boost spikes (go with either hks or greddy - my shop says the avc-r fluctuates too much). Also add a fuel pressure regulator.

A turbo timer and blow off valve will prolong the life of your turbo - so go with that as well. Intercoolers will make the exact same setup more powerful simply by cooling the air, making things more efficient. Other than fuel and boost management, everything else can be different. A small turbo will spool instantly and have some serious low end power (Turbo Discounters offers a kit with a GARRET T25BB). A larger turbo will result in more lag but yeild higher peak hp, along with expandability for adding power down the road. If you plan on building up your engine and upgrading down the road, then either a Stafford Fab or Max-Rev will suit you, for an instant extremely driveable setup, Turbo Discounters. Either way, they can call be upgraded and are all great from the start. You have to choose between the available kits and what parts/prices comfort you the most. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
Originally posted by MadWheel

At 10psi the head blows, you need ARP studs to correct the problem.
Thats not true!!!! i ran 15 psi for a day without blowing me head gasket. The only time you will blow it is if you detonate. Otherwise you are good to go.
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
but i wouldnt recommend it for daily driving
Old 07-05-2003
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I dunno man I heard a bunch of people saying how it blows at 10 (at least most do) but I do remember a couple months ago you saying how you spiked at like 13 or something and your engine handled it fine. Oh well, I'll just say better safe than sorry lol