SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

1.7L SOHC Non-Vtec Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Djwayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1.7L SOHC Non-Vtec Swap

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
2002 1.6 SOHC? Which country are you in?
hey friend.
I just did a engine swap. I swap the engine harness and ecu

i also have a 05 lx. And I Swap to a 03 ex Vtec.
I found your post and was so happy to know you did the same type of swap.
P
i had the key reprogram by Honda
but the only problem I’m having now it take a long time the start sound like fuel starvation please let me know what you think.
Old 09-20-2018
Registered!!

Djwayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jcb111
I just did this my 2005 Civic LX (non VTEC) blew up and replaced it with a 2003 Civic EX VTEC Motor, Trans, wire harness and ECU

Some of the wires are a little different between the 2
There are differences between the Motor harness and the body harness.

All good after flash from Honda
Keys work now with the ECU that matches the motor need to do this if you change the ECU. The motor ran on the LX computer just thew codes for the O2 sensors.
Only code its throwing was the heater on O2 sensor 2 which if you get the harness from the motor there is no place to connect the Downstream O2 sensor as the exhaust is different between the 2 motors. I changed my exhaust also, used a aftermarket LX header back exhaust and just added the 2nd O2 sensor about mid car and left the plug in the header for O2 number 2. You will also need the O2 sensors for the EX motor as they are different between LX and EX
Wired the Black/Yellow wire to pin 5 yel/blu on connector E
Wired all O2 stuff to connector E and all good now, No codes

So just so its cleared up for anyone else doing a LX - EX conversion in a 2001-2005 Civic here is where the wires are landed when using EX Motor, Trans, Wire Harness and ECU

Here is where they are on the stock harness Connector A (31 pins)
25 wht/red Secondary O2
23 brn/yel Logic Ground
14 blk/wht SecondaryO2 sensor heater control
10 grn/yel Sensor ground
Blk/yel Heater acc power

Here is where they go on Connector E (31 pins)

2 wht/red Secondary O2
3 brn/yel Logic Ground (Shield from O2 Sensor)
5 yel/blu Sensor voltage (attach to blk/yel from O2 Sensor)
6 blk/wht SecondaryO2 sensor heater control
Connector A (31 pin)
10 grn/yel Sensor ground

On the wht/red and Blk/wht
I dissected the old harness to get the whole wire with the metal ends that fit into the harness. As you will find out when going from LX to EX there are a few different wires and they are not in both body harnesses the same way. On the other wires I just tapped in and soldered and taped as not to cut the factory wiring.
I hope his helps anyone that might be doing the same swap that I needed to do to get my everyday driver back on the road with a few upgrades.
can you please help me out
I don’t understand so can you please explain the wire Harness wire part to me please I do not have the old lx harness but I do have the Ex harness. Engine and ecu Installed
Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

A2toA1headswap is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1997 Honda Civic ex with a bad VTEC head and currently have an A1 head what might I need to prepare for to swap from VTEC to non
Old 01-05-2019
Registered!!

I have a 1997 Honda Civic ex with a bad VTEC head and currently have an A1 head what might I need to prepare for to swap from VTEC to non
Old 01-06-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

The sixth gens didn't come with a 1.7L?
If you have a '97 you either have a d16y8 (VTEC) or a d16y7
Old 01-06-2019
Registered!!

Re: 1.6L SOHC VTEC to non VTEC head swap

Oh snap idk why I wrote 1.7 you are absolutely correct..I'll see if I can edit the post..but my question is still the same.first off I'm have little or no cash and I'm stuck in Fresno for 2 months.my Subaru blew on the way down from the bay area to see kids for Thanksgiving...ok back to subj.
i have this 97 ex with a rotten head cam journal in middle has transfer on it as well as a few bent Valves..so going to local wrecker there are many civics to choose from and removed a brand new head non VTEC knowing it would drop on the a2 block..what do I need to do to make this ok before I tighten all up and call it good.not to worried about a check engine.light.will it work yes or no..I thank you for whatever clever tricks info and wisdom you can pour out on this backyard mechanic at best...this is just about at my knowledge and know how peak of auto repair..
Richard Williams

Last edited by A2toA1headswap; 01-06-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: My original post was missed typed due to not proof reading a simple title my apologies.
Old 01-06-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

It will run but it will be in limp mode, you're better off making another trip to the junkyard and getting the proper y8 head
Old 01-06-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

A1/A2 refers to 2001-2005 cars... Engine is very different than a 97....
Old 05-20-2021
Registered!!

Rob41 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did this my 2005 Civic LX (non VTEC) blew up and replaced it with a 2003 Civic EX VTEC Motor, Trans, wire harness and ECU

Some of the wires are a little different between the 2
There are differences between the Motor harness and the body harness.

All good after flash from Honda
Keys work now with the ECU that matches the motor need to do this if you change the ECU. The motor ran on the LX computer just thew codes for the O2 sensors.
Only code its throwing was the heater on O2 sensor 2 which if you get the harness from the motor there is no place to connect the Downstream O2 sensor as the exhaust is different between the 2 motors. I changed my exhaust also, used a aftermarket LX header back exhaust and just added the 2nd O2 sensor about mid car and left the plug in the header for O2 number 2. You will also need the O2 sensors for the EX motor as they are different between LX and EX
Wired the Black/Yellow wire to pin 5 yel/blu on connector E
Wired all O2 stuff to connector E and all good now, No codes

So just so its cleared up for anyone else doing a LX - EX conversion in a 2001-2005 Civic here is where the wires are landed when using EX Motor, Trans, Wire Harness and ECU

Here is where they are on the stock harness Connector A (31 pins)
25 wht/red Secondary O2
23 brn/yel Logic Ground
14 blk/wht SecondaryO2 sensor heater control
10 grn/yel Sensor ground
Blk/yel Heater acc power

Here is where they go on Connector E (31 pins)

2 wht/red Secondary O2
3 brn/yel Logic Ground (Shield from O2 Sensor)
5 yel/blu Sensor voltage (attach to blk/yel from O2 Sensor)
6 blk/wht SecondaryO2 sensor heater control
Connector A (31 pin)
10 grn/yel Sensor ground

On the wht/red and Blk/wht
I dissected the old harness to get the whole wire with the metal ends that fit into the harness. As you will find out when going from LX to EX there are a few different wires and they are not in both body harnesses the same way. On the other wires I just tapped in and soldered and taped as not to cut the factory wiring.
I hope his helps anyone that might be doing the same swap that I needed to do to get my everyday driver back on the road with a few upgrades.
What wire goes to the two white wires, one black wire, and one gray wire on the o2 sensor from the wires at the ecu?
Old 05-20-2021
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jcb111 will become famous soon enoughjcb111 will become famous soon enough

I honestly don't remember, Its been so long and I don't even own the car anymore.

Do you mean the O2 sensor on the manifold? or the down stream one you need to ad for the EX motor?

I can try and figure out what you are talking about from the posts, but I don't have the car to reference it.
Old 05-20-2021
Registered!!

Just trying to figure out where the 4 wires go to from the ecu to the down stream 02 sensor. I have tapped into the said 4 wires from the ecu and have them ran down to where the o2 sensor
from ecu
white/red
brown/ yellow
black/white
yellow/blue
To what wire to o2 sensor
white
white
gray
black
Old 05-20-2021
Registered!!

So your donor wiring for the down stream was from an EX car or did you use the old front O2 sensor wiring?
Old 05-20-2021
Registered!!

There is also another thread I think that was started with my info somewhere on the forum???
Old 05-20-2021
Registered!!

If you are using different colors you will have to figure out what wire does what and make it match to the schematics.

It tool some metering to figure out what each wire does
Old 05-21-2021
Registered!!

On connector E is pin#2 white and red wire a heater wire for the o2 sensor?
Old 05-21-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Looks like that's the secondary O2 sensor wire, not the heater wire.
Old 05-21-2021
Registered!!

Ok, does anyone know other than PIN number 6 what the other heater wire is on connector E?
Old 05-24-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

E6 is pulled to ground to enable the heater, the other side would be the power feed. Schematic shows it coming from fuse 1 in the under-dash box.
Old 09-12-2021
Registered!!

KFCTACo is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are using different colors you will have to figure out what wire does what and make it match to the schematics.

It tool some metering to figure out what each wire does
Hey jcb111, I went over your messages about the swap and I’m currently prepping everything for a swap too. So basic run down, I have a 2003 lx d17a1 non vtec, and I’m going to do a d17a2 vtec. I want to ask you and any one that can help me with what I have to modify and get for it to plug in. I can adjust the car after smog. Here to take any advice that can help. Thank you guys.
Old 08-14-2022
Registered!!

Javi123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbagaus
If a non Vtec engine is blown, what all would need to be done to swap for a Vtec. Can the Vtec simply not be connected? are the engines themselves the same? Its difficult to find a non-vtec engine....

ok i have a 2004 honda civic vtec engine wen bad i replace it with a non vteck engine it bolt right in all wires were the same except for the vtec solenoid car stat right up an everything works not even a check engine light the only issue is that when give full throttle the car stutter an i have no idea how to fix that issue some comments suggest the throttle body to be swapped as well i need some advice will this fix this issue???
Old 08-14-2022
Click Here

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Javi123
ok i have a 2004 honda civic vtec engine wen bad i replace it with a non vteck engine it bolt right in all wires were the same except for the vtec solenoid car stat right up an everything works not even a check engine light the only issue is that when give full throttle the car stutter an i have no idea how to fix that issue some comments suggest the throttle body to be swapped as well i need some advice will this fix this issue???
Get a code reader and check because there should be codes regarding the VTEC solenoid. You may even find a code for the stuttering.
Old 08-15-2022
Super Moderator

You might be in limp mode because it's missing the VTEC solenoid.
Old 01-29-2023
Registered!!

Bobbyallen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone. I'm new here. I have a 02 Civic lx which motor blew up. I ordered a new 1 from JDM D17a Vtec. I bought the harness and ecu other than those things do I need to change any wiring inside ? Like the ob2 plug? I also reused my LX exhaust set up which has 2 o2 sensors and the ex only has 1 can I get by using the 1 and plugging off the other?
One other thing when I get it programmed will it ask for my Vin? I have a Matco Maxme scanner is using that different than going to the honda dealer? I will be using a different ECM that didn't come with this motor does it matter which 1 I find? Like the yr it came from or do I find 1 that is same like my yr of car? I know there's a difference between Auto and Manual which mine is manual

Last edited by Bobbyallen; 01-29-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

EX have 2 o2 sensors
you will need to program the keys to the ECU
can't remember if auto ECU will trigger a CEL if it does not find an auto to control

you can keep your non-VTEC ECU until you get at a place to program the keys, just change ECU when you get there. non-VTEC ECU works fine in VTEC engines, but VTEC will be a dead weight until you plug the VTEC ECU there
Old 01-29-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
EX have 2 o2 sensors
you will need to program the keys to the ECU
can't remember if auto ECU will trigger a CEL if it does not find an auto to control

you can keep your non-VTEC ECU until you get at a place to program the keys, just change ECU when you get there. non-VTEC ECU works fine in VTEC engines, but VTEC will be a dead weight until you plug the VTEC ECU there
Thanks. Does it matter what ecm I get as long its manual and Vtec? Does yrs of ecm like 01-05 matter. And the harness I bought only had 1 plug for an 02 sensor. Don't see any other that's left to plug in. Is there a way to call u and explain maybe easier for u and me maybe. Thanks
P.S does it matter what yr ECM I get? Or do I need to go off my motor block is so what numbers do I use ? I do have a Matco Maxme that programs. When u say program key u mean immobilizer right?

Last edited by Bobbyallen; 01-29-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

only EX models had the VTEC - nowadays, after 20 years, who know which car have which ECU? Again, I am not sure if the lack of auto trans will trigger a CEL, just do a search around the forums
Don't know about your harness, the VTEC exhaust will have the sensor after the cat, below the driver area, so just need an extension from the LX setup.
don't know what is that Matco Maxme, but I am talking about programming the keys so the immobilizer will not stop the fuel pump. the ECU's for 7th Gen are not programmable otherwise
What I know about this subject is based on what I have been reading here over the decades, I had a stock LX and traded for the EX, so never done that work myself, calling me will not help you (would also recommend not doing that with internet encounters anyway)

VTEC/Manual ECU should do the job, then program the keys - only exception is the Si models for US/SiR for Canada - they are different engine

and a wiring connecting the VTEC solenoid to the ECU, the wiring to the EX exhaust o2 sensor
can't remember if i ever saw a diagram for the VTEC/o2 Sensor pin out in the ECU
The following users liked this post:
Bobbyallen (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023
Registered!!

Thanks for ur insight. I'm just trying to find exact answers somehow. I have seen alot of thoughts but I need to get what I need without question. Cuz I got a Vtec harness and it only had 1 plug for o2 sensor and got 2 ECMs for 01-02 and , 02-03 civic ex with Manual for it and both didn't work or they were just junk. Lol
Old 01-29-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

have not read, check if info here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ut-needed.html
Old 01-30-2023
Registered!!

Fast question does a 02 civic ex have 2 o2 sensors? And also should there be 2 plug from the wiring harness for the 2 o2 sensors? Or is there only 1 ? I just bought a harness that was from a 01-05 Civic Ex Vtec and I only found 1 plug for my o2 sensor. I thought there should be 2

Last edited by Bobbyallen; 01-30-2023 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

last two posts
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...p-version.html

Quick Reply: 1.7L SOHC Non-Vtec Swap