Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

JDM DC5 K20A swap into a 2001 EM2

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: JDM DC5 K20A swap into a 2001 EM2

figures... did not take too long for a great DIY to turn into a festival of questions asked millions of times before...
shame...
"I don't wanna research, i wanna ask!" seems to be the hype...
Old 04-05-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
figures... did not take too long for a great DIY to turn into a festival of questions asked millions of times before...
shame...
"I don't wanna research, i wanna ask!" seems to be the hype...
I'm steadily moving those questions to the k-swap chat thread, don't worry.
Old 04-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

ive looked stuff up, forgot where i found the answers and didnt feel like looking it up again(im pretty lazy), and with the trans and the radiator question i havent ever gotten an answer 2.and mindbomber im sorry i completely forgot about the kswap questions thread, i'll post my other questions in there again, and keep up the good work on this project, i soon hope to be joining you.

Last edited by cmiller_01ex; 04-05-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: cant freaking spell.lol
Old 04-06-2012
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

EŽik will become famous soon enoughEŽik will become famous soon enough

No worries brah, it's all good. So I've sourced all the parts I needed to, so hopefully we can get this beast running this weekend! I picked up a Vibrant 2 stealth black muffler, to replace the old Magnaflow I had (that wouldn't have bolted up to the new exhaust)

Spent $51 CAD on new bolts and a new Clutch MC fitting ......

Also, picked up a new serp belt, and got my new axle. We will post up progress on our K journey later this weekend!

Happy Easter everyone!
Old 04-07-2012
Registered!!

DA9_GSR has a spectacular aura aboutDA9_GSR has a spectacular aura about

Hey all,

Just got some more work done on the project. Ran into some more kinks. Turns out the "xproductionz DIY" mentions to use the EP3 radiator and fans. The rad fits fine, but the EP3 fan on the EP3 radiator doesn't clear the vertical rad support brace. So, turns out we need to customize the vertical rad support brace to clear the fan.

Also turns out that the "xproductionz DIY" also mentions to use RSX clutch lines from the clutch master to the slave cylinder. Well, the RSX clutch lines are 3/16" lines and the EM2 clutch lines are 1/4" lines. You won't be able to get the upper steel clutch line into the master cylinder fitting. You'll need to purchase an EP3 clutch master cylinder fitting (46941-S5A-003), gasket (46943-S5A-003)and snap pin (46942-S5A-003) to make it work. That's what we did and it fits and looks as good as new.

Finally, the EM2 rad fan connector fill not reach the EP3 fan because the EM2 connector is connects at the passenger side of the car whereas the EP3 / DC5 rad fan connector is on the driver's side. So, we extended the two wires 10" in order to reach.

So, today we got:

- clutch lines installed
- bled clutch lines
- installed LF axle
- installed front hubs (ball joints and steering knuckle bolts)
- changed transmission fluid
- changed engine oil and filter
- rewired the rad fan connector

We still need to:

- fill powersteering fluid
- modify RSX powersteering resevoir bracket
- replace serpentine belt
- install battery relocation kit
- install interior
- make 02 sensor harness (I'm making a schematic for everyone)
- installed ECU connectors
- modify EM2 Magnaflow catback (install RSX midpipe front flange)
- installed modified exhaust

START and DRIVE car

Last edited by DA9_GSR; 04-08-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like it's coming along fairly well! Always will have humps like that in any of these projects, but it's all a learning curve. Can't wait to see the end result!
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Roxie
Sounds like it's coming along fairly well! Always will have humps like that in any of these projects, but it's all a learning curve. Can't wait to see the end result!
I expected kinks but, my god, there's a ton of stuff not mentionned in the DIY that should be known before performing this task. Everyone thinking of attempting the K swap into an EM2 should know all this before. I'm blogging everything we ran into and I'm going to make a follow up to xproductionz's DIY. It's an awesome starting point. But more information is needed.

I will also be making a complete primary and secondary O2 sensor wiring harness and will be posting it here when's it's complete and proven.

Stay tuned
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

Update,

Made my O2 sensor harness. Just have to wire in the air fuel sensor relay and the O2 sensor wiring is done. We also finished up the exhaust. We bought an ITR center pipe. We cut the front of the ITR pipe (54mm OD) and bolted it to the cat. Then we lined up the EM2 Magnaflow catback (54mm ID) to where the cut on the ITR pipe was an left ourselves 3" of overlap. Then we slid the Magnaflow pipe over the cut ITR pipe and clamped it down. It's a good as new. We're going to get it welded later for a clampless clean finish.

All that's left to do now is: relocate the battery, bypass the immobilizer relay, recheck all front end and engine mount bolts, install hood, install bumper and FIRE IT UP!

P.S. anyone doing a K swap with PS will need hood struts or shorten the OEM hood prop because it hits the PS pump otherwise
Old 04-17-2012
Registered!!

Update:

Front bumper is on. Cables are run for the battery relocate. Half the C101 connector switch over is completed. And half the 02 harness is completed. ALmost done.

Just an FYI. Xproductionz DIY mentions to pull wires out of the K20 C101 connector and repin it like the EM2 C101 connector. Slight problem with that. 2 of the wires are too big and won't fit into the proper slots. I'll let you know what I did.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

309antonios will become famous soon enough309antonios will become famous soon enough

Hey DA9,

Congrats on the swap! I just did mine a few weeks ago, interesting to see you run into the same problems. The entire swap took me a few days as I kept running into little problems that no one mentions. You just work your way through them. Are you going to run Kpro? I am not, and I was cheap to take my car to dealer to get ecu reflashed for my key, so I took ignition from EP3 and bolted that to where my old key went...one key to open door, another to start the car! Ha! The things we do...It is very fun to do this yourself, you'll be very proud when you are done! I have a CEL I'm chasing right now that is frustrating me terribly, I have another thread hoping to get some help with that.

What I am really curious about is if you have wired your Thermo-switch from the bottom of the radiator yet? It controls when the fans click on on the radiator. I have the k20a3 from an EP3, so pardon me if this is different on the type r, that's also why I asked if you have kpro. Any help woul dbe greatly appreciated. Thanks so mucch!

Best,
Antonio
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

309antonios will become famous soon enough309antonios will become famous soon enough

Also, I just chopped out my center brace to get my mishimoto with EP3 fans to work..physically.......I need help getting them power. It's so exciting to feel the em2 with some giddy up, that motor you have is massive power! Very exciting, can't wait for you to be done, it really is an exciting feeling! If you run into any problems, let us know. I am super familiar with the swap now, just trying to fix my damn CEL p1167. Woooof!!!

Best,
Antonio
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 309antonios
Hey DA9,

Congrats on the swap! I just did mine a few weeks ago, interesting to see you run into the same problems. The entire swap took me a few days as I kept running into little problems that no one mentions. You just work your way through them. Are you going to run Kpro? I am not, and I was cheap to take my car to dealer to get ecu reflashed for my key, so I took ignition from EP3 and bolted that to where my old key went...one key to open door, another to start the car! Ha! The things we do...It is very fun to do this yourself, you'll be very proud when you are done! I have a CEL I'm chasing right now that is frustrating me terribly, I have another thread hoping to get some help with that.

What I am really curious about is if you have wired your Thermo-switch from the bottom of the radiator yet? It controls when the fans click on on the radiator. I have the k20a3 from an EP3, so pardon me if this is different on the type r, that's also why I asked if you have kpro. Any help woul dbe greatly appreciated. Thanks so mucch!

Best,
Antonio
We are going to run the JDM DC5 ITR ECU. I just have to bypass the EM2 immobilizer relay and it should be good to start. It's the same connector on the EM2 as it is on the EP3 / DC5's. I just had to extend it from the passenger to the drivers side.

Also, I just chopped out my center brace to get my mishimoto with EP3 fans to work..physically.......I need help getting them power. It's so exciting to feel the em2 with some giddy up, that motor you have is massive power! Very exciting, can't wait for you to be done, it really is an exciting feeling! If you run into any problems, let us know. I am super familiar with the swap now, just trying to fix my damn CEL p1167. Woooof!!!

Best,
Antonio
All the extra little problems have added up to quite a bit more money. It's a little frustrating. We had a RF axleshaft that didn't want to come out of the EM2 hub. And a new LF axleshaft that didn't want to go into the EM2 hub. That, along with many other things.

Needless to say, we cut the center brace out of the rad support to get the EP3 rad fan to fit. Now it's all in place and wired properly.

I just need to finish wiring the O2 harness.

P1167 is a primary 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction. Sounds like you didn't install that primary 02 relay. Did you?

Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Haha! Yep! Chop that son of a gun out! What about your Thermoswitch wiring? How'd you do that? I dunno how to get my fans to click on when the engine reads temperature.

I definitely hear you on the money adding up I probably spent about 500$ on all kinds of little parts....now I'm throwing money at this damn CEL. Runs great, just burning too much fuel!

Have you heard if there are length restrictions on the wiring of the o2 harness. I'm wondering if this is my issue. There is no continuity to ground though, and no resitance across line....I suppose it shouldn't matter.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Gipsyrsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Best,
Antonio
Hey guys im almost done with my em2 k20a2 swap I just brought my car from dealer for the reflash and i got the car to run for the first time and notice my fan doesnt come on so did some research and found out that xproduction.com doesn't say about the radiator fan switch for people without kpro so this is what i found you need to go to your inbay fuze box and turn it around snap the cover off and look for the Green/White cable and run one cable to it from the radiator fan switch the other cable (from fan switch) goes into chasi ground. Ill be doing that today so ill keep posting.
I got a question for u guys, How to wire the secondary o2 sensor? Btw my car is a 02 civic lx which had the cat together with the exhaust mani

Last edited by Gipsyrsx; 04-19-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Mispelled
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Hey GipsyRSX

http://www.xproductionz.com/k20swap/k20swap.html

That's the best DIY for the swap guide. As DA9 said, there are several missing parts, lots of small stuff. But it does a great job of explaining the wiring!

Please let me know how you wired your fan when you are done!!! Thanks!

Best,
Antonio
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gipsyrsx
.....my fan doesnt come on.... i found you need to go to your underhood fuse box and turn it around snap the cover off and look for the Green/White cable and run one cable to it from the radiator fan switch the other cable (from fan switch) goes into chassis ground. Ill be doing that today so ill keep posting.
There's no mention of the radiator thermo switch (located on the bottom of the EP3 rad to the passenger side of the lower rad hose). When the coolant gets to a certain temperature (199F/93C) the thermo switch closes, which grounds the coil side of the rad fan relay and thus turns the rad fan on. DC5's and EP3's have the wiring in the body harness. We EM2's didn't have one at all. We need to add the wires to our chassis harness.

What we EM2 K swap people need to do is buy a Honda EP3 thermo switch and install it into the EP3 rad. There's two wires on that thermo switch. The power wire splices off to two places: one goes to the GRN/WHT wire in the underhood fuse box, and the other has to go to the ECU B6. The other wire on the thermo switch has to go to a common ground.

I got a question for u guys, How to wire the secondary o2 sensor? Btw my car is a 02 civic lx which had the cat together with the exhaust mani
I hard wired the secondary right into the ECU. I added the 5 wires into the engine harness and ran them directly into the ECU. I did the same with the primary, but you have to add a relay for code free operation.
Old 04-22-2012
Registered!!

Gipsyrsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys im almost done with my em2 k20a2 swap I just brought my car from dealer for the reflash and i got the car to run for the first time and notice my fan doesnt come on so did some research and found out that xproduction.com doesn't say about the radiator fan switch for people without kpro so this is what i found you need to go to your inbay fuze box and turn it around snap the cover off and look for the Green/White cable and run one cable to it from the radiator fan switch the other cable (from fan switch) goes into chasi ground. Ill be doing that today so ill keep posting.
Well I finished connecting my fan switch when yes it was the green/white strip cable and my fan are working as they should
Old 04-22-2012
Registered!!

Well I finished connecting my fan switch when yes it was the green/white strip cable and my fan are working as they should
Good stuff! We bougt an DC5 / EP3 thermo switch. And spliced the GRN/WHT wire into the same color wire in the underhood fusebox (there's only one).

Good to hear it worked for you. We're seconds away from starting the car.

Old 04-22-2012
Registered!!

April 21, 2012 Update:

- all O2 wiring complete
- primary o2 relay complete
- battery relocation complete
- thermo switch installation and wiring complete

What's Left?

- hood skeleton modification
- install interior seats and trim panels
- start car

Old 04-23-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Take a video!
Old 04-25-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Sooo... Did it run well??
Old 04-25-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
Sooo... Did it run well??
Well, we got everything buttoned up and the car won't start. I get a clicking noise from the starter relay, but the engine won't turn over. Turns out, through voltage drop diagnosis, the ground side of things isn't up to snuff. I did some research on DC5's and EP3's starting / charging system grounding and here's what I found:

All vehicles have three ground cables:

1 - from battery negative to body
2 - from battery negative to engine
3 - from engine to body

We had only the ground cable from battery negative to body and it didn't start. We then added a ground cable from engine to body and it still didn't start. We are now going to install a ground cable from battery negative to engine and see where we stand. :x:

Any of you K swapped EM2 guys run into something familiar? Any pointers?

Cheers,

Ryan
Old 04-28-2012
Registered!!

Found the problem,

The starter motor "S" terminal connector was unplugged.
Reattached it and the car started right up!

WOHOOO!!!!

Old 04-28-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Succeess!!
Old 04-29-2012
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Can't wait to see pics/video of the final running product! Great build!
Old 04-29-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Speed9117
Can't wait to see pics/video of the final running product! Great build!
I will be taking detailed pictures of all the extra work we encountered doing the xproductionz K20 DIY.

Stay tuned, pics and everything will be posted next weekend.
Old 04-30-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Awesome. Can't wait to see/hear it!
Old 05-01-2012
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

EŽik will become famous soon enoughEŽik will become famous soon enough

Ordered a knock sensor, and a new exhaust manifold gasket. Get those in tomorrow, and just to clean up the engine bay, a new AEM V2 will be replacing the stock air box. Hopefully I will be able to get the car on the road Saturday. I need to get my plates renewed lol
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Update:

Done!

Everything is finally done! We got all the battery relocation cables hooked up. The entire interior is back together. I even drove the damn thing. What a hoot! It pulls pretty nice. Gotta love the 6 speed EM2. Wohoo!

I have a ton of pictures to load. Will be posted at a later date.
Old 05-07-2012
Registered!!

Speed9117 will become famous soon enough

Quick Reply: JDM DC5 K20A swap into a 2001 EM2