Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Road To Mani Swap: Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Talking Road To Mani Swap: Throttle Body

In the first "Road To Mani Swap" I went to the junkyard looking for a D16Y8 manifold. This will show you what kind of manifold to get, what kind of car, that kind of stuff.
Link to that here -----> https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...-junkyard.html

Now, ive heard various people say, putting the D17 throttle body on the y8 manifold is too hard. And people have tried to make adaptor plates to fit in on. If they were in my garage, their jaws would be on the floor and I would laugh in their face. HA! ..... HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Im a 17 year old highschooler, and I got it on, easily. really people? is it that hard?

Heres the only other person I know who has done it. Unfortunately, his english is not the best and he speaks turkish. Very large pictures, no description
------> http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2745541

Go, and buy this. I got this at my local hardware store for pretty cheap. You NEED a gasket between the tb and the mani, or else youll have an annoying squeek and a bouncing idle, trust me, not fun. Scared the **** out of me the first time it happened.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  111.7 KB

This is what my manifold looked like the day I got it at the yard

Name:  156.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  134.3 KB

And here it is after a quick cleaning (still some oxidation and dirt but lets just get this swap done)

Name:  032-1.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  126.6 KB

Theres the holes I drilled in the mani to bolt on the throttle body and the iacv port on the top. I used a cord drill because it seems to have a lot more power. I also used titanium drill bits (these are the gold ones) Force is a must this y8 manifold im guessing is high pressure cast aluminum. terrible for drilling

Name:  033-1.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  96.9 KB

closer iacv port

Name:  034-1.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  54.2 KB

Left Bolts. both should be tapped to accept the stock d17 tb bolts

Name:  035-1.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  76.1 KB

Right Bolts. The top you want to tap with m6 x 1.00 and the bottom should be left stock. (port the d17 tb to fit the y8 bolt)

Name:  036-1.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  52.9 KB

Heres a pic of my mistake. dont do this

Name:  037-1.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  103.9 KB

heres the d17 tb without the throttle plate. you can see the bottom right hole is ported out to fit the stock y8 bolt. the throttle body is very soft metal dont screw it up

Name:  038.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  039-1.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  89.0 KB

Heres all the bolts in the mani. The ones I tapped arent straight, but they fit nice and snug once I put the tb on, so its not a huge deal if you mess up. but if you screw it up enough, that sucks for you. use jb weld, idk, think of something

Name:  040-1.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  104.2 KB

The mistake again

Name:  041-1.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  042-1.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  103.7 KB

Final Product

Name:  043-1.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  044-1.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  115.9 KB

Working on porting it out right now, pretty simple dont need a diy for that

Name:  045-1.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  046-1.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  62.0 KB

And heres the crappy gasket I made lol

Name:  047-1.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  111.5 KB

More Info:

- D17 Throttle cable should face towards the front of the car with the iacv pointing upward

- The bottom right bolt is a m8 x 1.25 you have to buy a new one from the store and make sure its long enough to hold the tb to the mani, the stock y8 is too short

- Clean the inside of your manifold really well after doing this. chances are, its filled with dirt and grime, which means all those aluminum shavings will stick very well. and you dont want that getting sucked into your engine

- In your gasket you can attach the iac port to the throttle body hole, im going to cut that little bridge I have there.

Required Tools:

- Corded Drill

- Metric Tapping Set

- Titanium Drill Bits

- Gasket Material

- Grinding Stones

Any questions, comment on this, or pm me. I check this site more than once a day ahaha

Last edited by SlimRisk; 10-13-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 10-11-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough
Re: Road To Mani Swap: Throttle Body

Very nice. What did you use to drill? Just a regular hand drill with a metal drill bit? if so, did you have it clamped down when you were drilling?
Old 10-11-2011
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

i had a plug in drill cuz its so much more powerful than a battery opertated drill. along with titanium bits (those are the gold ones). I pushed hard like a **** and pretty sure i dulled my bits pretty bad, but never broke one
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't recall this ever being 'too hard'. I did this swap way back when, and while your solution works, it is far from elegant. Now, I will be interested to see your solution for deleting EGR. With K-pro, this swap is simply a matter of making the throttle body bolt up, and the mani bolt to the head (along with a few other minor issues). However, without K-pro, you will have serious issues. The first is that it won't idle worth a damn. The second is that tip in from a stop will stumble, along with other tune related issues. And on top of the driveability issues, you still have to remove EGR.
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you have to figure out how to make injectors fit, along with a fuel rail. I found that srt-4 injectors fit quite well into the y8 mani with a little enlarging of the injector bosses on the manifold. And I just welded a couple mounting tabs onto the stock rail. Here's a few pics for some inspiration (and hopefully posterity since the diy I had on 7thgen seems to have disappeared).

Name:  HPIM0748.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  255.2 KB

Name:  HPIM0739.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  185.5 KB

Name:  HPIM0735.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  170.2 KB
Old 10-20-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Would It be impossible to fabricate something for the EGR? Just seems to me like it will be an equal problem if you have to make a delete or modify the intake.
Old 10-21-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Originally Posted by baron340
I don't recall this ever being 'too hard'. I did this swap way back when, and while your solution works, it is far from elegant. Now, I will be interested to see your solution for deleting EGR. With K-pro, this swap is simply a matter of making the throttle body bolt up, and the mani bolt to the head (along with a few other minor issues). However, without K-pro, you will have serious issues. The first is that it won't idle worth a damn. The second is that tip in from a stop will stumble, along with other tune related issues. And on top of the driveability issues, you still have to remove EGR.
I've read up on the swap many times to see if I could get anyone who knows a great deal about this, and many people said putting the d17 throttle body on the manifold was too hard. It is far from elegant, but who is going to care? If my car was a show car, then yes, I would've done it differently. But it's going to be just a fun car to drive.
And I own a 2001 Lx so my model didn't come with the EGR function And what tune related issues will i have? Other people have said it will idle bad, but no one who has actually done the swap said that. I think most people are based on theory than the actual swap. (MindBomber said he thinks the velocity of the air changes once inside the manifold...) I'm hopefully getting E-Manage soon fyi.

And I was planning to weld the d17 injector plate on the manifold, my buddy has a welding kit. But until then, i'm just working on struts.
Old 10-21-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Originally Posted by Aetoc
Would It be impossible to fabricate something for the EGR? Just seems to me like it will be an equal problem if you have to make a delete or modify the intake.
EGR doesn't need to be there, the car just needs a signal from the EGR valve and if it doesn't get that signal it throws a CEL (Check Engine Light)
Old 10-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
I'm hopefully getting E-Manage soon fyi.
Don't go for emanage man, I know there's dedicated threads to it and in the early days lots of people used it, but you need stand alone once you step up with the turbo. With a piggy back the ecu will constantly be fighting the tune trying to work around it, and you won't get it to run right. Just ask xRiceboyx, he has a complete turbo kit sitting around that he installed, then actually removed, because he couldn't afford k-pro and wasn't able to get his piggy back to control it well enough. Since you're on a budget watch for a deal on a used ecu on k20a and save for it, they don't depreciate much in value on the used market so they're not a complete waste of money.
Old 10-21-2011
Registered!!

Ok, look here: Don't get all butt hurt because I said your solution wasn't elegant. If it works, it works, and that's all that matters in the end. However, the car won't run right with an EGR code set. I had an 01 LX without EGR too, and I did the swap, and I'm telling you the car still won't run right. I was using an AEM F/iC, which is hands down better than the E-manage you are planning to use (don't trust me, go look). The car never ran right. I swapped back to the stock manifold, switched over to K-pro a little later, and put the mani back in. Being able to tune for it with a standalone ECU, the car ran like a charm. I made 121 hp and 111 tq on a mustang dyno with K-pro, the y8 manifold, intake and exhaust.

So in the end, do what you want, listen to me or don't. I don't care. I was just trying to pass along information that I learned the hard way back in the day. I even fried an AEM EMS trying to do this swap. I've been around the block and I know what I'm talking about. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Old 11-01-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Ok, look here: Don't get all butt hurt because I said your solution wasn't elegant. If it works, it works, and that's all that matters in the end. However, the car won't run right with an EGR code set. I had an 01 LX without EGR too, and I did the swap, and I'm telling you the car still won't run right. I was using an AEM F/iC, which is hands down better than the E-manage you are planning to use (don't trust me, go look). The car never ran right. I swapped back to the stock manifold, switched over to K-pro a little later, and put the mani back in. Being able to tune for it with a standalone ECU, the car ran like a charm. I made 121 hp and 111 tq on a mustang dyno with K-pro, the y8 manifold, intake and exhaust.

So in the end, do what you want, listen to me or don't. I don't care. I was just trying to pass along information that I learned the hard way back in the day. I even fried an AEM EMS trying to do this swap. I've been around the block and I know what I'm talking about. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
I find it so wierd that the car wont run right. Ill do the swap and if it runs like you say it will (which im guessing it will), then ill just sell the manifold to someone whos got kpro and break even.

so what were the idle symptoms?
Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

MatthaiN is an unknown quantity at this point

Slim Risk: On the side for future reference. You will get the best results and money's worth out of your drill bits if you use a little bit of oil while you are drilling so they don't dull. It helps when the metal is lubricated.
Old 02-18-2012
Registered!!

05gen7ex is an unknown quantity at this point

if you put on IM do you need a new ECU as well?
Old 02-18-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 05gen7ex
if you put on IM do you need a new ECU as well?
To put it simply - YES! You need K-Pro if you want the car to idle, and if you want to see any kind of performance benefits. You can half-*** it with a piggy-back system, but that's just a plain and simple bad idea
Old 03-31-2012
Registered!!

djarmyssg is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Did u put that thing on or what???
Old 03-31-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Lately he's mostly been talking about a k-swap..
Old 03-31-2012
Busy Speeding!!

If I get k-pro I'll follow through with it. But a paint job is first on my list
Old 12-25-2019
Registered!!

EasyE94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi baron340, did you weld the tb to the manufold?? How is it running? I have the setup where I just use bolts and my idle goes bonkers. I wane find a solution that runs great with the y8 setup.
Old 12-26-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Thread is 7 years old ....
Old 01-02-2020
Registered!!

EasyE94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you have to figure out how to make injectors fit, along with a fuel rail. I found that srt-4 injectors fit quite well into the y8 mani with a little enlarging of the injector bosses on the manifold. And I just welded a couple mounting tabs onto the stock rail. Here's a few pics for some inspiration (and hopefully posterity since the diy I had on 7thgen seems to have disappeared).

Attachment 98311

Attachment 98312

Attachment 98313
HI, how did you weld the tb to the mani, did you use a spacer? And if you did what spacer did you use I would like to do the same to my setup. D17 tb to y8 mani. Thanx man