Your thought on rims sizes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anotherslo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your thought on rims sizes!

All,

I am thinking about getting some 18's for my em2 and wider tires to compensate for handling due to size. The reason is our wheel wells are so big, that even 17's don't fill it up enough. Makes the rims look small

Because I like to road race, do you think I can compensate the handling with tire selection do to the rim size increase, or do you think my handleing will just go to crap?

For peeps with 18's on there car, how do you like the ride and how does it handle?

Maybe I should just buy some stocks for when I go to the track and use the 18's for show and daily driving. That will solve everything huh!!!

Last edited by Anotherslo1; 04-19-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

UnitZero is an unknown quantity at this point
from my experiance, going from 17s of 215/40/17 to 205/50/15 ,made a world of difference. Even though the 17s were so nice looking, it was slugish,unresponsive, and heavy. The 15s were easy to handle, plus i got a better feel of the direction the tire was facing. But this could be due to the tires also. I only had kuhmo 711s on the 17s compared to the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport on the 15s.

I think the 18s+ rims on civics are mostly for show though, have you ever noticed the 18s that the drifters and high hp supras run? they are like 275s plus. That will get you the bigger tire patch that you need, but with a civic, i dont think the wheel well can fit those widths.

But if you do run 17s+ may i recommend these
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Force+T%2FA+KD
there was a 350z with nismos rims running these tires and the mph difference in the same corner was 5-8 mph.

on another note, I can wait to run these tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....rce%20T/A%20KD
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
I have 18x7.5 on 215/40/18's. To sum it up: slower acceleration (not too bad, but it is noticeable...), handling isn't as great as it used to be with my 15's (I'm sitting on Tokico HP's and Sportlines...), and my braking has gone to crap. When I brake hard my brakes start to squeal... LOL It looks damn good, but 18's are definitely not for performance. Brakes are definitely my next mod.
Old 04-20-2005
Registered!!

THATS WHAT I FORGOT!!! BRAKING! Braking distance is better with 15s. I have no abs so I can feel it when the brake locks.....Im also running Tein HAs.
Old 04-20-2005
Registered!!

Em2Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
I Like The 225 45 17 Tire & WHEEL!
Old 04-20-2005
Registered!!

2k187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm have to go with what you said get your 18"s for show and daily drivin and a set of 15's for track days
Old 04-20-2005
Registered!!

I get myself in alot of trouble for it but i went to deliver pizza just to practice my driving. No better way I guess :P I guess its kind of road racing in a way
Old 04-20-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I had 17 x 7.5 and now 18 x 7.5 riding on eaibach springs and tokico struts. I have to say that with my sedan the 18's have been better as far as ride quality and they are lighter than my 17's were. As for braking I'm upgrading so it does not matter for me and running boost I never notice any sluggishness at the time being. Its all preference
Old 04-20-2005
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
i'd prefer 16 inch stock rims (aka the ones on the Factory Performance Civic, its finally on sale now individually I think) with correct size tires... and good grip ones at that..

anything more than 17 inch.. is a bit overblown on a stock civic.

but yeah its all preference, i just think.. for most people.. 17 inch on stock civic suspension is a bit too much. or even with a simple drop via spring.. a full coil system with dampening settings will be a better choice.