Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Guide to drag racing in an automatic (v. 1.1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Guide to drag racing in an automatic (v.1)

A lot of people seem to ask about this, so I wrote a little guide. For entertainment purposes only. Feel free to reply with any corrections/modifications/comments/whatever.

Guide to Racing in an Automatic 7th Gen Civic, version 1.1

*I assume no liability for anything you do to, for, or with your car.*

Alright, first things first. The following is the available choices of gears in our cars.
P. Park. Put it here when you're not driving.
R. Reverse. You go backwards.
N. Neutral. The engine revs, but the power does not go to the wheels. Like pressing the clutch on a manual.
D. Normal drive. You get 4 gears plus an overdrive, so it's pretty much like 5 gears.
D3. Drive, except it won't go any higher than 3rd gear. Useful if you don't want to shift into 4th and overdrive. Keeps the rpms higher when you're driving at like 30-40mph, which means you get more instant response when you press the gas down farther, as opposed to if you were in D going the same speed.
2. Second gear only. This option puts you in second gear. It does not start you in one, nor can you get into first gear if you have 2 selected. If you are racing it is not a good idea to start in 2, because you will get very little power off the line.

Now, why did I write that? Because people seem to think that our cars have things like 1, D2, 3, and other weird stuff that I've heard.

Here is the trick to knowing what a gear will do. If it is just a number, you will stay in that gear. If there is a "D" in front of it, you have 1, 2, n up until that number.

Now that we understand how our Automatic Transmission gears work, let's discuss drag racing techniques.

Automatic transmissions know when to shift based on your speed, how far the gas is depressed, and to a lesser extent, rpms. For example, if you start from a stop and press the gas down half way, it might shift from first to second at 3500rpms. If you start from a stop and floor it, it will shift just before redline.

So what's the best way to drag race in an auto as far as gears go? You can put it in D or D3. D3 is ok because if it's a 1/4 mile race, the race will end before you top out 3rd gear so don't worry about it.

So, you've got it in D or D3, and you floor it. If you leave the gas all the way down, it will shift at redline. Do not worry about shifting it manually. Sure, after it switches to 2nd gear you could put it in 2, and you could run it past redline, but why would you want to do that? 1. You lose power past redline. Higher rpms does not necessarily mean more hp and more torque. 2. You greatly increase the chance of destroying your engine if you run it past redline. 3. If you hit the fuel cutoff, you will slow down due to restricted fuel. So, like I said, leave it in D or D3.

Now that you know what to do with the gears, let's look at how to launch in an automatic.

Neutral Drop. This is not your friend. Put the car in neutral and rev the engine to the desired rpm level. Keep your foot on the gas and push it into D. Say goodbye to your transmission.

Brake Torque. Not the best thing you can do to your car, but much better for it than neutral dropping. Keep it in D or D3, hold the brake in with the left foot. Press the gas with your right foot until the desired rpm level. When the light changes or you get the signal to go or whatever, come off the brake and floor it. I don't know what the best rpm level to do this is, but just remember the higher you go and the longer you hold it, the more damage you're doing to your brakes and torque convertor.

Finally, there are a few other things you should know.

Minimize the battery drain. Since you are racing, you need to be able to get the most power out of your car that is possible. This means you need to turn off everything that isn't vital to the engine running. Turn off your defroster, air recirculator, stereo, and most importantly your A/C. A/C is a huge drain on power, to the extent where if you floor it with your A/C on and then turn it off you will feel a boost when you turn it off. Leaving your stereo off not only drains less power, but also allows you to hear your engine better. If you are racing in the day, turn off your headlights. Turn off your foglights if you have them, and turn off anything else aftermarket that you may have installed that drains the battery. (thanks to Cyclosporine for reminding me to include this section).

Let your car warm up. On the left of your console, there is a water temp gauge. When you first start your car it's at the bottom, and after a few minutes it goes up to the middle. It's generally not a good idea to take your engine into high rpms until this needle is in the middle and your engine has had a chance to warm up. If this ever goes more than a little bit above the middle, which is not likely, you shouldn't drive until your engine has a chance to cool down, and if it happens frequently you should take your car in to be looked at.

Minimize your car's weight. This one is obviously easier to implement if you know about the race ahead of time. Lighter cars are obviously easier to accelerate. So, little things you can do that don't require making a huge change or investment are racing with 1/4 tank of gas or less, and taking your spare tire out of the trunk. But make sure you have enough gas to get home, and have a friend come with you to carry your spare in case you end up needing it. Also, if you have huge subs or something in the trunk you should take them out before you go to the track, because they are just extra weight, and you shouldn't have your stereo on during a race anyway.

Finally, don't be stupid by racing in the street. Racing is for the track. The streets are for driving.

IronFist
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Duckor is an unknown quantity at this point
this'll be good for dem noobies.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Good writeup man I like it. This should be made sticky or something.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

VietGuy949 is an unknown quantity at this point
OR...get a 5spd....my automatic is good because i drive on the freeway but a 5spd FC RX7 will do nicely [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Cyclosporine is an unknown quantity at this point
remember to close all your windows, shut A/C and radio off, might wanna turn your fog's off (too if you have them) and pray to God the other guy or gal's a bad driver, miss a gear or has an automatic also [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Pray to the GOD of BOMEX!
Old 11-26-2002
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Cyclosporine, I totally forgot about that! Thanks. I'll add it.

IronFist
Old 11-26-2002
Premium Member

It's updated.

IronFist
Old 11-26-2002
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Guide to drag racing in an automatic (v. 1.1), I thought after that, it was gonna say something like just don't do it.
Old 11-27-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright more info for auto's. (For my friend)
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

CivicRyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggestion: Buy a high performance car then race!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-27-2002

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
Thanks for making this up, I will admit, I am a newbie with the racing stuff. Glad you could help me out
Old 12-19-2002
Registered!!

VtecDude is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Neutral Drop. This is not your friend. Put the car in neutral and rev the engine to the desired rpm level. Keep your foot on the gas and push it into D. Say goodbye to your transmission.[hr]
Thanks for including that part. I had been considering trying that, and wasn't sure if it would cause any damage or anything because I believe that is how manual trannys start off... anywho I will definatly not be doing it now. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2002
LC
Registered!!

LC is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are boostin an automatic car than it wouldnt hurt you . It will actually help you because you can build boost right off the line. Using nitrous on an automatic transmission is also good because you dont have to let go of the nitrous. You dont have to worry about switching gears. So you can basically hold on to the nitrous until the race is over.
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

BaNgCiViC2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i tried racing in d3 its much better for the quarter mile, im going to use that from now on.. the only thing is when you floor it in d3 it redlines before it changes gears, does that decrease speed when it redlines.
Old 12-28-2002
Registered!!

PwN3d is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: VtecDude
[hr]Neutral Drop. This is not your friend. Put the car in neutral and rev the engine to the desired rpm level. Keep your foot on the gas and push it into D. Say goodbye to your transmission.[hr]
Thanks for including that part. I had been considering trying that, and wasn't sure if it would cause any damage or anything because I believe that is how manual trannys start off... anywho I will definatly not be doing it now. Thanks again.[hr]
with a manual, reving up and dumping the clutch puts wear on the clutch and bearings. dont think it wears any other parts of the tranny but i could be wrong.
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

deathor is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: PwN3d
[hr]Originally posted by: VtecDude
Thanks for including that part. I had been considering trying that, and wasn't sure if it would cause any damage or anything because I believe that is how manual trannys start off... anywho I will definatly not be doing it now. Thanks again.[hr]
with a manual, reving up and dumping the clutch puts wear on the clutch and bearings. dont think it wears any other parts of the tranny but i could be wrong.[hr]
No, it doesn't do anything to your trans for a manual, but you're right about wearing out the clutch. I used to do that on my RX7 and wore out a brand new clutch quickstyle.
Old 01-07-2003
Registered!!

Lindsier is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know how much the A/C, stero, and fog lights reduce your power?
Old 01-12-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
i think ac sucks up the most...
Old 01-13-2003
Registered!!

the1sthotboy is an unknown quantity at this point
If racing from a rolling start Like I like to do....
going about 40mph on D3 -I drop into 2 and punch the gas @ the same time !!
it then redlines and im goin about 60-65, then I shift up @ redline (but by this time hope race is over if u have no VTEC)
because from 65-100 takes a long time to achieve..this is where civic is slow
---also if driving on freeway on D going all she goes about aprox, 100mph drop gear into D3 but dont back out from gas....KEEP IT PUNCHED WHILE this process is being done! RESULT? > your RPM's JUMP again to full throttle and are able to achieve 116MPH or until CUT-OFF (WOO HOO)
-will this damage engine? I've been doin these tricks since I bought car in aug.2001 >no problems so far<
Old 01-20-2003
Registered!!

my car has been at honda since thursday because of shifting the auto,.. if i ever get that **** back im never doing it again
Old 01-23-2003
Registered!!

akiboy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
haha you actually did a neatral drop[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
[hr]Finally, don't be stupid by racing in the street. Racing is for the track. The streets are for driving.[hr]
just to reply to the original post i think he forgot to include : "don't be stupid don't race in a 7th gen civic, especially if its an auto cuz its a 16 second car if your lucky, my advice to any one that wants to race and has an auto, is either get a k20 swap, but if it was me i would get a new car. the name of this topic is just absurd "Guide to drag racing in an automatic (v. 1.1)" Drag race, auto? those words don't even belong together
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

VtecDude is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]If racing from a rolling start Like I like to do....
going about 40mph on D3 -I drop into 2 and punch the gas @ the same time !!
it then redlines and im goin about 60-65, then I shift up @ redline (but by this time hope race is over if u have no VTEC)
because from 65-100 takes a long time to achieve..this is where civic is slow
---also if driving on freeway on D going all she goes about aprox, 100mph drop gear into D3 but dont back out from gas....KEEP IT PUNCHED WHILE this process is being done! RESULT? > your RPM's JUMP again to full throttle and are able to achieve 116MPH or until CUT-OFF (WOO HOO)
-will this damage engine? I've been doin these tricks since I bought car in aug.2001 >no problems so far< [hr]
I really hope you are kidding. That is so bad for the transmission. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-nono.gif[/IMG]

I feel sorry for your car.
Old 02-01-2003
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahaha... oh man whoever made this a stickey has a good sense of humor. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2003
K20 Member

ImportRacer2123 is an unknown quantity at this point
OK 1st off i have an 02 Auto and im running 13.99 well until i blew a CV B00T but that is beside the point with my new ZEX kit im running i should be back at high 13 or low 14 and the best way to race an auto is don't try to launch because the highest the RPM goes up to is 2700 i just take off in D then when it shifts into second i drop it into 2 and get close to redline and shift back into drive and then "Sqeeze" the Fun Button or for the people without Nitrous.. put it into D3 and pin it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2003
Registered!!

dont shift yer gears just because your car is slow, sure u can get a good boost by dropping it into second but why the f**k would you want to beat on YOUR car like that. i used to do it all the time but after i lsot my tranny i dont think its worth it nemore, just let the automatic to what its supposed to
Old 02-05-2003
K20 Member

ImportRacer2123 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have been doing this since last Feb and i have yet to have a problem.
Old 02-10-2003
Registered!!

Siffolly is an unknown quantity at this point
oops I've been doing neutral drops in my moms cr-v for the longest. i stoped when i did one and accedently went into reverse and the car got really quiet and i got really sick[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
but i've only done it in my civic like once or twice. thanks for the info though very informative
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]just let the automatic to what its supposed to [hr]

word!~
Old 03-01-2003
Registered!!

txtadik is an unknown quantity at this point
just wondering, besides having a the D3 limited to the 1st 3 gears, any differences between D and D3? I don't see any difference (both redline when the gas is stomped on hard enough)

Quick Reply: Guide to drag racing in an automatic (v. 1.1)