Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

So you want to learn to really "drive"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
So you want to learn to really "drive"?

I do.. I've been looking for something like this for a while : a good introductory free online book to racing

http://www.motormeister.com/suz/ptw_book/index.htm
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
i read some of it, but i dont agree with some of the things that he talks about. For example, practicing on the freeway and intimidating other drivers by going side to side in your own lane. Or, finding not too much space in front of someone and zipping into that place.

maybe i read that the wrong way, but it sounds kinda dangerous to be practicing this on the freeway.
Old 09-26-2005
Registered!!

D16turbohonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic426
i read some of it, but i dont agree with some of the things that he talks about. For example, practicing on the freeway and intimidating other drivers by going side to side in your own lane. Or, finding not too much space in front of someone and zipping into that place.

maybe i read that the wrong way, but it sounds kinda dangerous to be practicing this on the freeway.
Yeah it sounds good to get you trained for the track but waaaaaaaaaaaay to dangerus to even think about doing on the freeway. Dont do it. tickets, and death cost way to much IMO.
Old 09-26-2005
Registered!!

Granted, it's to be taken with a grain of salt, yet his advice on being aware of the cars around you is a vital skill in racing, and in itself is a clear example of the better half of this text... Anyways, you can't really complain about its quality, it's free.
Old 09-26-2005
Registered!!

D16turbohonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Very true. For free not to bad but peolpe should just be amrt about it and know when and where its safe to try this.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

meseetree is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thegent
I do.. I've been looking for something like this for a while : a good introductory free online book to racing

http://www.motormeister.com/suz/ptw_book/index.htm
a book can not teach you anything about how to drive!

you need to not be cheap pay 300-600 dollars with a professional on a track and they will teach you more then you could have ever thought about driving trust me....
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by meseetree
a book can not teach you anything about how to drive!

you need to not be cheap pay 300-600 dollars with a professional on a track and they will teach you more then you could have ever thought about driving trust me....
Bah, anything is a little exagerated.. and it depends on the trainer as well. I'd say that the free documentation is at least a good preparation for the instructor's advice.

I wholly agree that there's no replacement for closed-circuit practicing.
Old 09-30-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The problem with trying to learn form books isnt that they dont have good info or any thing, but rather in the fact that beginners who read them tend to try and do every thing they "learnd" at once.... rather then concentrating on one aspect (such as focusing on driving the right line, or praticing their threashold brakeing... or Trail braking...) they try to Drive the line and learn to threashold brake while trying to trail brake, which just makes them more susceptible to mistakes. I'd be better if they just learned one thing at a time.... such as spend an event just praticing your trail braking or heel toe. learn that one aspect untill its second nature, then move on to the next.